Clamshells

Submitted into Contest #119 in response to: Set your story in a silent house by the sea.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction Horror Thriller

KD listened from behind closed eyes, covers pulled to her chin. It sounded like the clacking of cha-chas, flamingo dancers used them. She lay in silence another few minutes. "Damn what is that?" She threw back the covers. "Who's there?" She pulled on her robe, moved towards the french doors she had left ajar, wanting to hear the ocean as she fell asleep.

"Who's there?" Pushing the screen door open she stepped onto the giant deck, that huge out over the cliffs, a hundred feet above the ocean. She knew no one could climb up those cliffs and get onto the deck. It was dimly lighted by a few recessed pot lights. Walking into a thick gray fog. "Ouch" stubbing a toe on one of the deck chairs, "great!" she looked around. "Where did this fog come from, it rolls in fast out here."

The clacking stopped, all she could hear was the surf, the pull of the waves. Feeling her own heartbeat, shivered when she felt a cool breeze drift over her. With a familiar poke to her calf, she bent down, scratched Dixie on the head. "Did you hear it too Dix?" Let's go back in, can't see a thing out here." They turned back towards the door. Stopped dead.

There he stood leaning against the door frame. Arms crossed. He was older, graying at the temples, a few steaks, tall, lean, crystal blue eyes, he wore clean jeans and a t-shirt, covered by an old sweater with the buttons undone. He looked mystical with his long graying hair hanging in rolls over his shoulders. From the thongs of leather around his neck hung large stones of mixed colors, that looked like sea glass.

"Who are you?" she asked. Wishing she had not left her police issue inside.

"Tom" he smerked.

"How did you get in here, what do you want?" KD heard a low throating growl from Dix as the dog stepped forward between them.

"Well Tom, I think you should leave before this dog has you like an early morning snack."

He said, "OK," turning into the bedroom. "I won't hurt you, I used to live here, I like to come back to visit once in a while, I won't hurt you." then he was gone.

"Did he vanish into thin air Dix, let's go in, I have to phone Brad and ask him about good old Tom. Come on." she scrunched Dixie's head as they moved forward. When she reached the bed she pulled the stunner out of the holster looped through the headboard, slipped it into the pocket on her robe.

She picked up her wrist com, pulled it on. "Call Brad."

"Hello KD, you get settled in OK? How was the drive up the coast?"

"Who's Tom?" She stared into the view screen.

"Shit, why?" his face went pale.

"Because he was just here, how does he get in, does he have a key, Who is he? Why would he be in my bedroom leaning against the doorframe?" she asked.

"Did you hear the clamshells banging on the rocks, right before he showed himself?" Brad asked.

"Sounds more like cha-chas but, yes! What do you mean by 'show himself?"

"Get out KD, pack up now and get out, he says he won't hurt you but, he will KD get out!"

"I brought my stunner Brad, who the hell is this guy?" she held it up so Brad could see it.

Brad let out a long slow breath, "My dad KD, and you should know he has been dead for many years, I inherited the cabin from him, he visits. He will scare the heck out of you. You can not kill him he is already dead. But, he does not know he is dead, he was unstable in life, God knows how unstable he is now. Take Dix and get out." there was more than concern in his voice.

"KD I am on my way sweety, I'll pick up Janet on the way."

She laughed, "No kidding Brad, you know how crazy that sounds?"

KD turned, walked out of the bedroom, Tom stood in the hall waiting for her. She never saw it coming, she felt it, she heard the clamshells. Brad watched her drop.

When she came to Brad was standing over her, he had moved her to the couch, the sun was rising. A pretty glow of yellow came through the open windows. He was changing an icepack on her head.

"You hit your head when you fell, how are you feeling, got a headache? Can you see clearly? You got a pretty good bump. I think he tripped you." They stared at each other.

"How is that possible Brad?" She started to sit up. "Thought you were a doctor, a scientist, you really don't believe in this shit do you?" she lifted her hand to the lump on her forehead. "Ouch! I think I tripped, I stubbed my toe on the deck chair too."

"We have packed up your things, food, and supplies, Dixie won't leave your side. I'll drive you back. Janet came with me, she just finished loading the SUV, she'll drive your car back.

"I ordered the wreckers, a demolition team, they are going to knock this place down and I am going to sell the lot." He touched her hand. "KD I am sorry he appeared to you, not many see him, they only get the rath. I should have known better than to offer you a weekend here by yourself. I underestimated him, my mistake." he bent down, kissed her cheek.

Then they heard the cha-chas. "He's not done KD, let's go now." he helped her up and headed out the front door. "Janet get out of here now!" Brad yelled across the driveway.

Janet got in the little car and drove away as Brad helped KD into the SUV. He handed her the ice pack. "hold this on your head." He did up her seatbelt.

Looking into the rearview mirror as he gunned it down the driveway, Brad saw Tom standing on the front porch, smiling.

He squeezed KD's hand. "You OK?"

"Yep, OK. We should talk."

"Yes, sweety, we will talk. Close your eyes, relax."

Dixie's front feet were on the counsel between them, she looked from one to the other. "You OK Dix?" KD asked as she scrunched her cheek. The dog barked and wagged her tail.

November 06, 2021 22:27

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.