3 comments

Fiction Friendship Kids

In a small city suburb there stood two houses side by side. Both had large backyards and each were enclosed by tall fences with wide metal tops. Both had nicely kept green lawns and each had small trees and shrubbery running alongside the fences.

House number 32 contained a large, red and black kennel and it was home to a family of four humans, two adults and two children. The fifth member of the family was a dog called Terrence. Terrence was a Boxer dog with light brown fur and a white belly. His three greatest loves were playing, food of any kind, and chewing, endless chewing. He lived outside and was rarely allowed inside. Only when the weather was really, really bad was he able to curl up with his family in warmth and comfort.

It’s neighbour, house number 30, housed only a family of three, one adult and two children. The fourth member of their family was a slender cat called Socks. Socks had sleek, black fur that he was extremely proud of. The only place he had no black was on his diagonal paws which were white as snow, which he was also proud of. Socks’ favourite activities oscillated between sleeping and playing madly with whatever was available to him, but especially with his humans. In Socks’ eyes, they were as helpless as kittens, and needed all his expertise on how to hunt. So, he taught them.

Socks and Terrence were happy with their lives. They loved their families, and their families loved them.

The only thing neither of them were happy about ?

Their next door neighbour.

*****

Once his family left for the day, if it was a nice, warm day like today, Terrence would lie in a sunny spot on the soft grass. If it was rainy weather, he would curl up, safe and warm in his kennel until the rain stopped.

Then, he would usually dig holes in the garden beds, much to his mother human’s anger. But he couldn’t help it. He could smell things in the dirt and usually they were old bones he’d forgotten he’d buried there. So everyday, Terrence would need to check if another bone had magically appeared.

He also made sure to bark at everything he heard at the front of the house, ensuring strangers stayed away, as was his duty. It was when he was barking particularly loudly that there was an appearance from Socks.

Socks always made Terrence growl the second he smelled or saw him or heard his lazy voice always coming from above him. Socks was always very careful to stay out of Terrence’s reach. Terrence still remembered the taste of Socks’ tail when he’d managed to nip it.

“Would you stop with your useless noises,” Socks drawled from his position standing atop the fence.

“They’re not useless noises. I’m defending my house for my family!” Terrence growled back.

“They don’t care. They’re not even here. So why bother?” he asked, stretching languidly.

“You’re just a cat. You know nothing. You couldn’t fight off an attacker and defend your home,” Terrence said.

“I can fight off attackers just as well as you,” he said smugly, waving the sharp, shiny claws at the end of each paw.

“Pah! You’re too small to do any damage,” Terrence snarled.

“If you ever face me in a fight, I’ll prove you wrong,” Socks said. “Anyway, I must continue with my day. Good luck with your aimless barking.”

With a flick of his tail, Socks disappeared into his yard.

Terrence found he didn’t feel like barking anymore, even to defend his house. He decided to forlornly chew his chew toy instead. It kept him occupied.

*****

The highlight of Terrence’s days was the moment his family got home. No matter how forlorn his mood, it always brightened when they appeared and played games with him.

Next door, Socks was also pleased to see his family, although the highlight of his days was when someone provided him with food. After his food always came head scratches and a comfortable spot on the couch, or anywhere really that was comfortable. He wasn’t an overly affectionate cat, at least in his opinion, but he enjoyed sitting in the company of his humans.

*****

One day, there was more excitement in Terrence’s house than usual. Terrence didn’t mind, insisting on being part of it, stepping over bags, drooling everywhere. He heard the word “holiday” thrown around quite a lot and he wondered what it meant. Hopefully it meant lots of food!

Finally, Terrence’s family pushed him outside, much to his dismay and he was left to watch through the glass door, making the occasional whining noises.

“Now what’s wrong with you?” Came Socks’ voice, always from the safety of the fence.

Terrence ignored him but felt Socks approach closer.

“You’re family looks busy, without you,” he pointed out.

Silence.

“They didn’t need their big, scary guard dog, huh,” he taunted.

Terrence could feel his temper rising.

“Aah, I know what’s happening,” Socks said, then paused and waited for Terrence to ask the question.

He didn’t.

“They’re going away on holiday.”

Terrence looked up.

“What’s a holiday?” he asked despite himself.

“A trip, a vacation. They leave to somewhere fun,” Socks supplied.

“Vacation?” Terrence asked.

“Yes, va-ca-tion,” Socks said slowly, like Terrence was stupid. Which Socks believed he was. “The humans all go somewhere together. Without their pets,” Socks said pointedly. “The pets always get left behind.”

“Left behind ?” echoed Terrence.

“Left behind,” Socks nodded solemnly. “Never to be seen by them again.”

Terrence started howling.

His family was leaving him!

Socks jumped at the sound and, for once in his life, slipped on the railing of the fence and fell down… down into Terrence’s yard.

Now, Terrence was a good dog, trained well by his family. But here was his taunting enemy, landing on the ground right in front of him.

It was too much for Terrence.

With a growl this time, he leaped for Socks. Socks recovered himself just in time to dodge Terrence’s first bite, and began bolting towards a wheelbarrow luckily lying against the fence. 

Terrence felt the anger pounding at him, at this cat in front of him. His sworn enemy, his tormentor ever since they’d both lived next door.

Socks was fast, but not quite fast enough this time.

He managed to leap up onto the wheelbarrow but Terrence barreled into it, sending Socks reeling. Terrence managed to get a good, hard nip at Socks’ tail and Socks hissed, whirling around, claws out, and slashed him on the face in retaliation.

Terrence yelped and tried to bite Socks again.

By this time, they were making such a ruckus that Terrence’s family had rushed out and were yelling at Terrence to leave, while Socks kept trying to scramble up onto the fence. Terrence’s father human grabbed him by the collar and yanked him as hard as he could, nearly choking him. Socks finally managed to disappear over the fence. Terrence kept barking madly until he was smacked sharply and growled at. Terrence instantly stopped, tail between his legs.

He He hadn’t meant to make his family angry. Would they forgive him?

Terrence was miserable for the rest of the night.

******

The next day, things were normal for Terrence. His family were all happy and excited and he got extra treats and games. He slept inside too that night. He curled up on one of his siblings’ beds, listening to their breathing until he too drifted off to sleep, one ear always cocked to any danger that might threaten.

******

His family was up early, dragging big bags around, making lots of noise. They gave Terrence extra pats but they seemed kind of sad. He wondered what was happening. Then, he was put outside and his family all left like they usually did.

Terrence went to go find a patch of sunlight to bask in.

******

It was evening when Terrence heard the front door open. He gave a joyful bark and waited at the glass door, tail wagging, to greet his family. However, all he saw was a lady he’d seen before. He remembered her being friendly and giving good scratches. 

She came and showered him with pats while he showered her with kisses. She threw the ball for him until it became quite dark, filled up his food and water bowls then left.

Terrence finished eating and was feeling sleepy, but he didn’t want to sleep until his family came home safe first.

It got later and later. No one.

Terrence began scratching at the door, wondering if maybe he’d missed them. Still nothing. He slunk into his kennel, almost too fretful to sleep. But sleep he did, dreaming of his family that he so desperately missed.

*****

It was day three of Terrence’s new strange life: the friendly lady coming twice a day, being alone outside constantly and no sign of his family.

Terrence couldn’t take it anymore. He started howling.

Eventually, Socks appeared atop the fence.

“Could you stop that awful noise!” he exclaimed, his tail flicking back and forth.

Terrence stopped and glared at Socks.

“Leave me alone, cat,” he growled.

Socks settled himself down on the fence.

“Not until you promise to stop making that awful noise,” he said.

Terrence harrumphed but kept quiet, if only to get rid of Socks faster.

“Thank you,” said Socks self-righteously, then disappeared without another word.

*****

The next day it rained, hard. The wind howled and the occasional rumbles of thunder terrified Terrence. His only respite was when the lady came to feed and comfort him. He felt a bit better after that but still remained huddled in his kennel, warm with blankets that still smelled faintly of his family.

He was trying to doze through the sounds of the storm when he heard a faint scuffing. It came from the edge of the wooden flooring that jutted out from the house, covered by the roof with thick pillars enclosing it, helping to keep out most of the weather.

With nothing better to do, Terrence decided to investigate.

There were some bushes bordering the floor, hiding the small space underneath it. Terrence trotted down the stairs, disliking the cold raindrops hitting him. He began sniffing around, trying to figure out what had caused the sound. He poked his head through some of the bushes. There was definitely a faint smell of…something. He moved closer to the stairs, sticking his head under the small space there, a few water droplets squeezing in.

He was immediately met with a loud hiss and the wet, musky smell of…Socks.

“What are you doing here?” Terrence growled at his nemesis.

Socks gave another hiss and his green eyes darted around desperately looking for an escape route. Terrence noticed that Socks was soaked and shivering.

“Why are you here, stupid cat. Go home.”

“I can’t,” Socks hissed.

“Why not?”

“My family kicked me out for the night,” he said through bared teeth, as though saying it was painful.

Terrence frowned.

“Why?”

“That’s none of your business!” Socks hissed.

A few droplets of water landed on Socks’ head, pooling at his feet. Terrence huffed, now soaking wet and grumpy.

“Fine. Stay here then. But as soon as it stops raining, go,” Terrence ordered, then turned and went back to his kennel.

Terrence could feel the warmth starting to seep back into him again, but he just couldn’t sleep. He kept thinking of poor, shivering Socks sitting in that wet hole.

“Stupid cat shouldn’t even be here,” Terrence thought to himself. “Not my problem.”

But Socks kept niggling at the back of his mind.

Finally, with a massive sigh, Terrence ventured out into the rain again and stuck his head under the steps. Socks was still there, looking extremely miserable.

“You can come and share my kennel if you like,” Terrence said, offering a white flag.

Socks only hissed.

“I don’t need help from a dog.”

Terrence huffed. “You’re soaking wet and it’s freezing. My kennel isn’t. It’s big enough for us both.”

Socks hissed again, but Terrence could tell it was only halfhearted.

“I’m going back to my kennel. Follow me if you want somewhere nice to stay while it’s raining,” Terrence said, then walked away.

After a long moment, Terrence could sense Socks following him.

Terrence went into his kennel and curled up, leaving enough space for Socks. He tentatively looked through the entrance and sniffed.

“Smells like wet dog,” he muttered.

“And you smell like wet cat,” Terrence replied.

Socks cautiously entered and sniffed around a bit, poking and kneading at the blankets with his paws. Despite himself, he started purring then curled up and began licking himself dry.

“You’re welcome,” Terrence said.

Socks looked up at him, eyes gleaming.

“Why are you being so nice?” He asked suspiciously. “You don’t like me.”

“I don’t. You’re a cat. But it seemed like you needed help so…”

“You don’t like me just because I’m a cat?” Socks asked.

“Mostly. Cats are selfish animals, who don’t care for their families as much as dogs do. They are sneaky and will attack just for fun, or wreck things. Dogs are loyal and will only attack when there is danger.”

Socks’ ears flicked back and forth.

“Maybe some cats, but not me,” he said. “I love my family very much, and I would defend them in a heartbeat if something were to threaten them. I have sharp claws and sharp teeth and I will use them.”

Terrence looked at Socks.

“I’ve seen you with the mice and birds. You attack them then play with them. It’s cruel.”

“I do, but that’s how I practice my hunting skills. My family don’t like mice. They’ll squeal when they see one, and I don’t want them to be upset. Birds…birds are fun, but I try to give to them to my family so they can feed themselves. They don’t seem to appreciate it but I still do it, just in case.”

Terrence appeared thoughtful for a moment.

“Besides,” continued Socks, “I could argue that dogs are the ones who like to chase and attack anything, whether it’s an actual threat or not. You bark at birds, grass cutters, anything you think might harm them, including cats,” he added drily.

“You intruded on my property. It’s my right to chase you off,” Terrence argued.

I accidentally fell into your property. I wasn’t a threat,” Socks argued.

“You could’ve been. I know cats like to scratch people. I don’t want my family scratched and hurt.”

“Not purposefully! Playing, yes, maybe. If we are suddenly frightened maybe, but not because we like to.”

Terrence thought about it for a moment.

“I suppose I can try to bite or snap when I’m startled too,” Terrence admitted.

Socks looked smug.

“When did we actually become enemies?” Terrence suddenly asked.

Socks looked thoughtful.

“I-I don’t really know,” he said after a long moment. “I think it was just because you were a dog, and dogs hate cats.”

“And I thought all cats hated dogs and would try to destroy them,” Terrence said.

Socks looked at him like he was mad.

“Destroy you?” He said, starting to laugh.

“That’s what I’d heard,” Terrence grumbled, feeling slightly ashamed.

Socks stopped laughing and they sat for a while, listening to the rain.

“You know your family will come back, right?” Socks said.

“No, they won’t. You were right,” Terrence said mournfully.

“I wasn’t right. I was being mean. They love you. They will come back, I promise,” Socks insisted.

Terrence didn’t know whether to believe him or not, but the idea that his family would maybe come back after all lifted his spirits just a little.

“And thank you,” Socks suddenly said. Then, almost against his will, he gave Terrence a friendly lick on the ear.

*****

The next day dawned bright and clear, no trace of the storm. Terrence suddenly awoke, sensing a sound that he had been wishing for for what seemed like forever: the front door opening to the sounds of his favourite voices. He let out a joyful bark, scrambling to get out of his kennel. He heard a hiss and felt a small sting on his rump but he barely noticed.

His family was home!

He could barely contain his excitement as they came pouring out, showering him with kisses and pats.

They all played with him for a good long while and Terrence could feel his tail beginning to hurt from wagging so much.

Finally, they gave him some food and went inside. Terrence then saw a head cautiously peer out from his kennel.

“Are they gone? Is it over?” Socks asked.

Terrence had forgotten all about him.

“Oh, yes, sorry,” he said, then recalled the slight sting on his rump. “Sorry I startled you.”

Socks stretched and began licking his fur flat.

“It’s okay. I understand. I told you they’d come home,” he said.

Terrence wagged his tail but said nothing.

Socks stopped grooming and the silence stretched on.

“Well, ahem,” Socks said, clearing his throat, “I suppose I should go home now the rain has stopped. I slept well, despite your stench,” he admitted.

Another pause.

“Thank you again,” he said with some warmth.

Terrence went over and gave him a lick, much to Socks’ distaste.

“You’re welcome,” Terrence said.

“Yes, well, I’m sure my family is looking for me,” he said.

“I’m sure they are. You’re okay, Socks. For a cat,” Terrence said, using Socks’ name for the first time.

Socks slow blinked and let out a small purr.

“You’re okay too, Terrence. For a dog,” Socks echoed.

With that, Socks sauntered back to the fence, flicking his tail, and Terrence watched him.

Terrence was glad to have made a friend of the cat.

And Socks, although he would never admit it, was glad he had made a new friend too. 

July 08, 2022 13:30

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Gordon K
07:58 Jul 14, 2022

You surprised me twice. I expected the fight to be between humans so I wasn't expecting the main characters to be pets, and I wasn't expecting them to have dialogue. I love it when a writer thinks outside the box.

Reply

Crystal Lewis
15:30 Jul 15, 2022

Thank you, Gordon. :) I am glad you enjoyed it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Graham Kinross
23:35 Nov 23, 2022

The world from the point of view of the pets is really good and the dialogue lifts it all up. Well done.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.