0 comments

Friendship

Sandboxes and Six Packs

By J. Dodge


They first met in the sandbox outside Mrs. Clark’s first grade classroom window. Will was the youngest of four in his brothers hand me downs and Justin was an only child with a few extra toys and a yearning to share. 

Through their eyes the sand morphed into a desolate desert where the forces of good and evil would do battle, emphasized with laser noises and imaginative storytelling. Will laughed, Justin smiled, in that half hour of action figures and pretend the two became best friends.

The two were inseparable from that day on. A month later Will would politely ask Mrs. Clark if he could move his seat to be next to his amigo, Mrs. Clark agreed as long as they paid attention to their studies and not be disruptive. 

A month later they were separated to opposite sides of the class as laughter and inside jokes plagued silent reading. Though eleven feet of carpet divided them, for a half hour a day the duo would meet up in the sandbox for adventure and friendship.

Second grade threw them through a loop, Justin was to spend his learning hours in Ms. Duncan’s class and Will was to do his in Mr. Lindquist’s. The rooms were across the hall, but they made sure that for thirty minutes before lunch they would meet in their special spot.

Administration took eye of this and allowed them to celebrate third, fourth, and fifth grade together as long as the young boys behaved, and after having the year apart, they did. Well with the exception of one or two minor infractions here and there.

Through those early years there would be sleepovers, weekend bike rides, and even once Will got to join in on one of Justin’s family vacations. Will would become a fixture at Justin’s house and would often have dinner there and show up early on Saturdays for in-depth cartoon watching.

Fate is blind and uncaring such as the powers that be that determine the imaginary lines that divide up school districts. Even though they were a fifteen minute bike ride away (faster if you had a playing card in the spokes to get that motorcycle sound), sixth grade had them going to different middle schools.

Different birthday parties, hormones, new friends and influences played their part in Will and Justin’s dissociation. Will would put away his days of action figures and traded them in for his brothers hand me down cleats. Justin would soar inwardly in song and poetry.

By the end of their middle school career both of them would stand amongst the top of their new peer groups, Will a “jock” and Justin a “freak”. Soon for the both of them the sandbox was little if even a memory.

The dice was rolled again, and the same powers that carelessly tossed the two apart, the arbitrary lines of the school district brought them together again. High school would start in the fall and both would attend Filmore.

Freshman year saw very little interaction, Will would get to school early to train hard with the junior varsity team and Justin would leave early to smoke weed in the woods behind the convenience store with some older kids. 

They passed each other occasionally in the hallway, no effort by either acknowledged a sandbox. Best friends had become strangers. This would continue until sophomore year where the two would be reunited in Mr. Lopez’s second period American Government class.

The first few weeks Will sat eleven feet away from Justin by choice, this did not offend nor did Justin even take note. It was a group presentation on Constitutional Amendments that would force them to say hello.

The group agreed to meet at Justin's house on Thursday after Will’s practice. Will knocked on a door he used to just open years before and felt odd. The oddness dissipated when Justin’s mother’s smile greeted him and told him the group was in Justin's room, there were no directions needed for this guest.

The project's goals were made and duties assigned. As textbooks closed and parents arrived one by one there remained the two not so strange strangers. Will was lingering as his and Justin’s nostalgia kicked in the both started to discuss “remember that time”

Before either could posit the thought Justin's mom asked Will to stay for dinner, he cleared it with his folks on the phone as long as he was home by nine. After dinner the friends talked about their middle school and which teachers annoyed them at their current high school. Its difficult to keep track of time when these things happen and would have continued until morning if Will's dad didn't show up at ten to retrieve his son.

The next semester they wouldn't have class together but they would always eat lunch and every once in a while Will would have dinner at Justin”s, after practice of course. And on occasion Justin would skip class and visit Will in Mrs. Holmes fourth period Spanish class.

 That summer both would work for Will’s father”s lawn service that same year Will's oldest brother would become supervisor and turn twenty one. And every two weeks Will’s brother would treat the two to a six pack of beer as long as they did a good job and kept their mouths shut.

Junior year, Will made Varsity and Justin started a band. Their individual interests never stopped them from having lunch together. Cheryl, Will’s first girlfriend tried to end this once, but grew to like Justin and would eat with them. They had two classes together and would always try to get in on group projects.

Justin would go to all of Wills games and Will would occasionally swing by band practice and never missed a show at any venue generous enough to have Justin's band. When Cheryl broke up with Will Justin brought a six pack (obtained through Wil’s brother) and a shoulder to cry on; and when Justin’s band broke up Will replied in kind.

After another summer of mowing lawns, illegal six packs, and chasing girls, Will started Senior year on the Varsity team and Justin with his third girlfriend Diane. Will wound up breaking his leg in the second game of the season and Diane wound up breaking Justin’s heart soon after. A shoulder to cry on and a six pack.

After graduation, Will went full time working for his father and Justin got good enough grades to squeak into college. They would keep in touch and visits were made. The trips would end when Justin dropped out and moved back in with his parents. Will used his new occupation and got his first apartment.

Years would go by and lives would change but Justin and Will would always be best friends. Justin got a job bartending at Riley's Pub and would rent an apartment in the same complex as Will. Will was there at Justin’s mother’s funeral and Justin was best man at Will’s wedding. A six pack and a shoulder.

When Will had his first child, Justin closed down the bar early so he could be there. Birthdays, barbeques, holidays, Justin was always a fixture at Will’s. When Will became a full partner in the lawn service, Justin would make extra cash here and there moon lighting with a leaf blower.

“Uncle” Justin was there for each of Will’s kid’s graduations, as the manager of Riley's Pub he had very little difficulty getting the time off. And when Justin’s fiancé kicked him to the curb, Will had a couch and a six pack waiting.

Justin's hair turned grey and Will lost his, they may not have hung out as much as they used to but a phone call was never far. And the Fourth of July always saw them on the porch talking about sports or topics of the time. When Will’s wife passed, Justin was there the next day with some beers to drink and ears to hear whatever Will had to say.

Two years after that Will would follow his wife, a lifetime lived, many a six pack drunk, and a shoulder that held many tears. On that day Justin stood up in front of the mourners, Will’s children, acquaintances, and friends. Justin, the only child, began the eulogy with “Will was my brother..”

A six pack was found by Will’s tombstone the next day.


February 05, 2021 00:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.