2 comments

Romance Suspense Inspirational

“Marcus! Marcus!” The teacher called furiously, slamming her hands on her desk as the student stood up dancing on his desk. Lexi locked eye contact in a split second with Marcus, as she giggled softly under her breath; Marcus admiring her big, cheerful smile. Soon, Lexi found herself gazing off out the window, thinking about how courageous Marcus was for doing that. She could never be brave enough to do that! However, Marcus has a crazy, outgoing personality, while Lexi is a mature, sensible student, making them total opposites.

“Lexi…?” Ms. Johnston questioned a second time, Lexi only just snapping back to reality.

“Sorry Ms., I uh- “she paused, she was hesitant, she had no idea what was happening right now. Lexi looked around at her classmates, looking for an answer. Finally, the shy kid, Amaya, pointed at the board, along with the teacher standing right next to the equation with one eyebrow raised and her ruler tapping repeatedly on the board. Lexi read the board, calculating the complicated equation in her mind.

“The answer is…” she was cut off by a quiet reply from the teacher.

“Hmm? Well, go on!” Lexi could just read her face and understand that she was impatient and annoyed.

“The answer is negative 18.” The confidence overtook her. Yet, she was still hoping that it was right so she wouldn’t be embarrassed.

“Correct. You’re lucky. Next time, I won’t go as easy on you! Now, focus on the classwork!” declared the teacher, pointing towards Lexi’s direction.

“Yes Ms.” Her head was held low as she responded respectfully. As the day passed, Lexi realized how distracted she was in every class. This has been happening since she’s been training hard for her upcoming touch games. In which, she remembered that touch was the only thing that made her the happiest. Lexi had been playing touch for 5 years now, she had discovered touch when she was 10, by her best friend Olivia, and ever since then, it has been her favorite thing.

As she was walking down to the fields, which was located behind her school, she noticed a familiar face. It was Marcus. Lexi didn’t know that Marcus played touch, considering she had known him since primary school. Marcus’s friend, Gabe, suddenly appeared out of the blue and put his hand on Marcus’s shoulder, walking with him.

“I can’t believe you left our team! Why? You were our best player.” Proclaimed Gabe, in a sort of a beaten way.

“Sorry, I had no choice. My mum made me, she said it would be better considering I’ll be playing with both boys and girls.” he replied, looking a bit defeated.

“You will always be our best player. We’ll- “Gabe was cut off shortly by his coach calling him over.

“Gabe! Get over here for training otherwise you’ll be doing ten laps!” his coach yelled with aggression. Gabe’s coach was a grumpy old man who is a retired rugby Olympian. When he retired at the age of 50, he decided to coach touch as he used to play touch when he was younger. Lexi had always despised him for his ego. He always knew how to get her blood boiling as he would treat everyone severely poor. Lexi soon found herself looking to her right as she heard footsteps; it was Marcus walking over to his new team.

“Hi Lexi.” Marcus said enthusiastically with an immense smile on his face, from his chin to his cheeks. Lexi noticed how white and beautiful his teeth were; they were as white as a pearl. His fluffy hair being a beautiful shade of dirty blonde, which suited his beautiful blue eyes – that were as blue as the ocean.

“Hey Marcus. Why did you leave your team?” Lexi questioned, curious.

“Oh uh, my mum put me here. She said it would improve my weak social skills.” He said hesitantly as he was focused on her bright blonde hair which was put up in a neat high ponytail. Her eyes were like emeralds as they shimmered in the sunlight. The sunset was a perfect setting for training, as it wasn’t too bright nor too dark.

“Ha, cool! That was kind of her. Hopefully you’re good!” chuckled Lexi as she walked inwards a bit closer to her coach and the rest of her team.

At training, Lexi had to partner up as they were rucking. Everyone paired up as fast as lightning, which left Lexi alone and uncertain. Though, a sudden hand was placed on her shoulder,

“Lexi? You and me? I mean, if you’re a fast runner of course ha.” He chuckled softly.

“Sure!”

Marcus then picked up the ball and they started rucking, one by one placing the ball then becoming dummy half as they had a chat about their lives. Lexi had realized how hard his life had been ever since his parents had split up, “No wonder he’s always up to no good. I feel bad for him, I couldn’t imagine what it would be like; considering my parents have a healthy relationship.” Lexi wondered, feeling sympathetic. As time passed at training, Lexi really got to know Marcus – he was so considerate and funny, and she had almost forgotten about the way he acts at school. Was that really who he is?

The next morning, she woke up to the dreadful sound of her alarm at 6 in the morning.

“Arrrgh.” She groaned as she struggled hysterically, feeling extremely tired and annoyed.

“Lexi! Get ready for school, otherwise you’ll be late!” her mum, Amanda, called from downstairs, waiting for a response. But she hadn’t received any response. Lexi’s room was upstairs to the right, which was filled with beach themed decorations, and vines hanging from her wall. LED lights were also hung around her window – which was found above her bed in the middle right of the bedroom, next to her double sliding door wardrobe.

“Coming!” replied Lexi, still waking up as she rubbed her eyes rapidly. Little did she know that her day was going to be the best day of her life.

As Lexi walked the halls, with her head held high, she noticed how Marcus wasn’t sitting where he usually sat – which was at the lockers right outside the boy’s locker room. A sudden rush of anxiety had run through her body from head to toe. Ever since training the night before, she couldn’t stop thinking of how miserable he probably really was. She was starting to wonder if something terrible happened with him and his family. Her head frantically scanning the hall and the groups that ate up the space, until she made eye contact with him. He was sitting with… her group? That was odd.

“Oh, hi Marcus, what brings you here?” she questioned.

“I actually wanted to talk with you, if that’s alright?” respectfully he asked as he interrupted her time with her friends in the morning – he didn’t want to be rude by wasting her only time with her friends.

“Sure, what’s up?” she said, as he pulled her aside gently by the arm.

“I just wanted to know if you wanted to sit together in class?” he continued… “and maybe hangout at lunch? If that’s okay of course!” Marcus gently questioned, his face making it obvious that he was patiently, but excitedly, waiting for the soft “yes” to come out of Lexi’s mouth.

“I would love too!” her pearl teeth taking up most of her face, making it obvious that she was glad that he asked.

“Cool! I’ll see you soon.” He replied, turning around smiling delicately. Lexi soon realized that the smile didn’t wipe off her face as her friends were sitting beside her with their mouths open. Aside from Olivia, her best friend, which had a smile as big as the sun while creating excited, squealing noises. In which, those noises affected Lexi’s eardrums!

“Argh!” squealed Lexi, as all her friends ran up to her, squeezing her like there is no tomorrow. Soon, all they could talk about was how Lexi and Marcus being the hottest couple in school.

Ring! Ring!

“See you guys later, I guess.” Sighed Lexi, who made eye contact with Emily (soon after she started heading to her first class, chemistry) which is her least favorite person in the whole entire world. Emily was the one who ruined Lexi. Last season in touch, which was last year, Emily and Lexi were versing each other. Lexi’s team was first place on the leaderboard, with Emily’s team following in close second. That was the night Emily felt rage in her veins. The whistle goes off by the referee, indicating to start. The score was close in the last twenty minutes, with 6-5, Lexi’s team winning. For some reason, this triggered everything in Emily’s body. Lexi called for the ball, and she received the ball. Emily marking her, giving her a hatred face. Lexi bolted for the tri line, stepping Emily remarkably, and almost making it to the tri line. Lexi just had to sprint another five meters and she was there. The tri line was right there, it’s as if she could almost sniff it! She went for the tri and… crack! Lexi opened her eyes, everyone surrounding her, behind them the referee yelling at Emily. Then, she noticed her ankle. Something was different… and then, she realized. Her ankle was facing the wrong way. Lexi couldn’t breathe, she was so in shock. Lexi was rushed to the hospital and was forbidden to play touch for 6 months.

“6 months!? No! I can’t live without touch! I- “she was cut off by her mum.

“That’s okay, thank you Dr Purcell.” Amanda interrupted.

“That’s okay. Now, don’t forget to rest a lot. You’ll be needing it.” Dr Purcell said, sounding so sophisticated. And that was it, that was the time Lexi had had enough with Emily.

Once Lexi snapped back to reality, she realized that the bell had gone 5 minutes ago.

“Ahh shoot!” she exclaimed, running down the hall and up the stairs to her chemistry class. And in the back right corner was Marcus sitting there, looking like he was waiting for someone – but impatiently.

“Sorry I’m late Mrs Gatel.”

“That is okay Lexi, now, sit down please.” Replied Mrs Gatel, her voice cracking mid-sentence due to her age (which was 68). As Lexi walked over and sat next to Marcus, she could feel all the girl’s eyes on her. But in a bad way as Marcus is the school’s heartthrob. All the girls would drool over his fluffy dirty blonde hair and ocean blue eyes. And she had to admit, Marcus was cute! All day, Marcus couldn’t stop making her laugh. He just always knew how to make her smile, and her just being with him made him smile. Eventually, their conversation turned into a competitive one about their last game of touch this season in week 9 – which was against Emily’s team, the Strikers.

“So, what did Emily do?” he asked, curiously.

“Excuse me?” confusion was written all over her face.

“Oh, I just heard that you and Emily are enemies. I’ve just been wondering why?”

“She uh… she broke my ankle on purpose last year at my last game.” Hesitant Lexi replied, unsettled by the thought of that happening again.

“I’m so sorry. She’s horrible!” sympathetically Marcus replied.

“You think?” she chuckled.

“Don’t worry, I’ll stick with you and before the game starts, I’ll report a warning to the ref about Emily.” He supportively answered. Lexi just smiled at him, and they continued their conversation about themselves.

A week had passed, and Lexi and Marcus had become really close. She even started to realize that her sensible personality has really sunk In and affected Marcus’s behavior. Marcus is getting straight A’s (with the help of Lexi) and is always calm and listening in class. She was amazed at how he has changed dramatically in over a week. Lexi started to comprehend that she has developed feelings for Marcus, and she has felt really close to him over the past week.

8 weeks had passed, and their friendship only grew stronger by every second they spent together. This week was full of nerves in both hers and Marcus’s stomachs. This week was their final touch game of the season. Lexi couldn’t believe it! A whole term has passed, and she has developed a new best friend that has made her life so much better. Before they knew it, it was time for their game. 6:20pm sharp, but before that, at 5:45 they train a bit and run over a few techniques to use. One technique after the other, minutes draining. Lexi knew this was going to be her hardest game yet. Yet, somewhere in her heart, she knew that she was going to be okay, especially with Marcus by her side.

Both Lexi’s feet were beside each other, along with her hands on her side. The adrenaline running down from her spine to her toes. She took a deep breath as the referee blew the whistle. Lexi played wing as she was a very fast runner, winning 2nd, 3rd, and sometimes 1st place in every year’s cross-country. Marcus was her link, even faster than her and coming in  1st place every year in his cross country. The middles and the other link were rushing up through the center of the field, rucking up the first three touches. Lexi’s heart beating faster than a bullet. Marcus drew the wing, Emily, and the link in close then passed off to Lexi. Marcus passed it as quick as a lightning bolt, in which made Lexi panic at first when she was catching the ball. She bolted up the sideline towards the tri line, Emily behind her. Emily just reaching her as Lexi slowed down in a panic; freaking out and having an panic attack about what happened last time. She had costed her team a tri. That was the moment when it was half-time and Marcus had a chat with her, making her more pumped.

“Lexi, what was that?” Marcus worryingly questioned.

“I- I don’t know… okay? I panicked!” her breathing was way off steady. She knew she had to fix herself.

“Just breath. Take three big deep breaths. Now, be the star player that you always are!” motivating and supporting Lexi he answered.

Lexi took a deep breath standing onto the field. The whistle went off, and she visioned out a new move that she had created earlier today. Marcus passed her the ball. She knew that it was her time, her one and only chance. Lexi ran up towards Emily, slowing down to pretend to let her touch her. Emily reached out her hand, then Lexi bolted a few steps left. Emily following and acting as if she was Lexi’s shadow. Then, she stepped left, spun left till she was running the left side of Emily. Emily ended up being stepped and has bent her back because of the effect of the step. It was so fast Emily didn’t have time to react. No one has ever seen such a move before. Lexi ran towards the tri line, pouring her everything into it. And… she scored. Creating her team to win and go to nationals!

That was the day that Lexi created her signature move called “Breakthrough”. Lexi is now a professional touch player and is considered the best female touch player in the world.

February 03, 2023 07:18

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Jeff Khoo
06:38 Feb 09, 2023

This is a lovely heartwarming story, Sienna!. Though I personally would love to see more of Lexi and Marcus dynamics, it’s wonderful to see Lexi overcomes her challenges. Your descriptions are very visual, nicely done!:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Wendy Kaminski
19:16 Feb 08, 2023

This was really inspirational, Sienna! How great that she overcame her fears of Emily's advance to win the championship! I loved this line: “I just wanted to know if you wanted to sit together in class?” he continued… “and maybe hangout at lunch? If that’s okay of course!” How incredibly sweet - I would date a guy like that, very thoughtful! Great story, and welcome to Reedsy!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.