Opposite Day

Submitted into Contest #39 in response to: One day, the sun rose in the west and set in the east.... view prompt

2 comments

Fantasy

I jolt awake to the sound of my alarm ringing relentlessly. Just like I do everyday. I turn it

off quickly before it startles my dog, Buddy, then I roll back over for a few more seconds of shut-eye. Just like I do everyday. Then finally, I reluctantly get out of bed and head straight to the kitchen to make myself a cup of coffee. Just like I do everyday.

My daily life is ruled by routine, and everyday is the exact same, but that is how I like it. I want to know what to expect everyday, follow the same schedule, and live my life according to my planner. That is how I am most comfortable, and no matter what people say, it is good for me.

Once my coffee has finished brewing, I grab the mug and head out to the front porch where I spend my mornings watching the sunrise. I walked outside and plopped down into my padded rocking chair, with Buddy following my lead on the ground next to me. I begin to sip my coffee and feel the bold, caffeinated goodness seep into my soul with every sip.

After about five minutes of rocking on my chair and drinking my coffee, I begin to become confused. The sun has not risen yet, and I do not even see it peaking over the horizon. I check my watch and it reads 6:15am. The sun should have begun rising six minutes ago.

I start to question myself, thinking if I missed another time change or daylight saving. As I rack my brain for any possible explanation as to why the sun has yet to rise, the sky somehow starts to brighten.

I look up to see the blackness of the night sky begin to fade into the blue of the morning. However, it seems as though the light is coming from the back of my house. I walk around the


 yard and into my back porch to see the sun rising! But how? My backyard faces West, so why on earth can the sunrise be seen from my backyard?!

I head inside and turn on the news to see if anyone is covering this crazy phenomenon, but nobody seems to be mentioning it. I flip from channel to channel to see if anybody is covering this story at all, but to no avail. However, I did notice something else that was kind of strange. I flipped the channel to CNN and saw the anchors speaking highly of President Trump. They were covering his latest press conference and making positive comments about him and his supporters. Then to make things even weirder, I flipped to Fox News and saw the hosts commenting on Nancy Pelosi, but in a positive way. They were not tearing her apart, but instead, supporting and praising her for her positions and the work she has done. This is weird.

I turn off the TV and head to the shower thinking this might wake me up and clear my head a bit. I pull back the curtain and turn the nozzle all the way to the left to make the water as hot as I can. A few seconds later, I hop in expecting to be greeted with an intense warmth coming from the heated water, but instead I am hit with an icy cold rush of freezing water. My breath begins to shorten as I turn the nozzle as far left as possible just hoping for a drop of warmth to be released. Nothing changes, so I go to turn the water off, but as I turn the nozzle right to shut off the water, it begins to get warmer. Again, this makes no sense! When I turn the nozzle to the hot side, cold water comes out, but when I turn the nozzle to the cold side, hot water comes out! I assume it must be something messed up with the pipes and continue on with my shower.

I am finally on my way to work, hoping that I have met the last of my strange occurrences for the day. I get into my car and pull out of the driveway as I go through my mental


 checklist of things I need to get done for the day. I pull out of my neighborhood and as I went to turn right onto the main road, a car came barreling towards me. I honk as loud as I can and make an unfriendly gesture with my hand. What were they doing driving on the wrong side of the road?

As I calm down, I focus back on the road and try to make the right hand turn again, only to realize that it was not just that one car driving on the wrong side of the road. Everyone was in their opposite lanes! People were driving on the left side of the road instead of the right, and I had never been so confused! I begin to get concerned with myself, so I drive myself back through my neighborhood and into the driveway, and decide I will just take the bus to work. There is a bus stop about a block away from my house, and if I just walk there I will not have to deal with whatever absurdity is going on on the roads.

I make it to work and set up my cubicle for the day. Hours upon hours upon hours pass by as I continue to fill out paperwork. As my workday comes to a close, I am thankful that nothing strange happened once I got to work. Maybe I was just having an off morning and was getting things confused. Nonetheless, I am feeling great now and I am ready to get home to see my dog.

I walk through my front door and am greeted by the wet tongue and wagging tail of Buddy. I pour him his dinner, then head to the kitchen to make my own. I go to open the freezer, thinking a frozen pizza would be the perfect meal after this crazy day, but instantly regret it.

Everything in my freezer seems to have melted! The frozen pizzas are soggy, the ice cream is melted, and the ice is water! Great. Another thing is going wrong.


 I open the fridge to see what damage has been done in there, and everything is frozen. What is going on? My freezer was the temperature of my fridge, while my fridge was the temperature of my freezer. How did this happen? How does all of this keep happening!

I decided I need to calm down, so I make my way outside to watch the sunset. Of course, I make my way to the back porch only to realize that the sun is somehow setting in the East, and I have to make my way to the front porch.

I sat there for what felt like hours, but I knew it was only minutes, and thought back on my day. I thought about all the crazy occurrences, including the one that was happening right in front of me, and thought to myself that it was almost like today was an opposite day.


May 01, 2020 09:13

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Janet Joos
13:35 Aug 02, 2020

You caught my attention and kept me reading til the end but this expression 'an opposite day' rather confused me when talking about your fridge or driving on the wrong side of the road. It's more like awakening from a bad dream or not?

Reply

Show 0 replies
M.Zubair Alam
13:21 May 07, 2020

good depiction and much adequate wording you have brought in it.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.