6 comments

Fiction Teens & Young Adult Romance

       It was a late night call from my stepmom which keeps on bugging me up about chasing a man named Zach. I never imagined that Carly is so obsessed with that name. In this midnight of thoughts I only had one person in mind who gave me something and which differs from every guy I talked to. I heaved a sigh and let this cold long night swallowed me.

“I wish Carly would let me date my dream guy with my favorite pillow”.

“Hey Emily! There’s a cute letter on your desk!” Anne with her excitement loudly spoke. I just rolled my eyes and let out a small smile on her lips. She didn’t even erase her big smile on me and as I nodded to her excitement she picks and opens the letter instantly.

“What a flash!” I grinned. I just put my belongings to my chair and get my stuffs to put in on my locker. Well incase you didn’t know I’m a cheerleader and a journalist in ‘Bergenwoods High School’.

“Dear My beloved Emily, I wish I could be your pillow so I can also be in your beautiful dreams. By the way, It seems like you didn’t know me so I will let you call me ‘My love’ …” shockingly as she did, Anne gaze on me with her right hand on her mouth and left on the pink note.

“Oh dear! This is way too oldies! Like didn’t her mom tells him to buy a phone or something?” well that’s her, frankly, Anne would gonna tell reactions about the ways and… “But dear! This is so lovely and beautiful! I never know there’s some guy who will do this instead of texting you to meet them at the bar.” she then make a face after that word bar.

I just shrugged and say, “Maybe he’s some loner or wants to play pick a hearts game?”

“No, not really. I feel something with this boy”. she folded perfectly the pink note and handed it over me.

“Ahuh! So I guess it’s yours to know more about him rather than me?” “You know how strict Mr. Monst-I mean Mr. Mandelson and I couldn’t bare his sermons!” Ugh! Again I remembered how my hears banging with his voice reprimanding me.

“Nah! I’d prefer to be with Mr. Carson’s son, Colter” she giggled from that Colter’s name just like that. Poor woman, Colter is the talk of all girls in town and no one wants to meddle things with that guy because all her ladies would get you in trouble. What a freak!

“Hey Damien the nerd! Come in front and hand me your notes for my History Class!” Anderson shouted to a guy with his thick eyeglasses paired with closed checkered sleeves and pants.

“Who’s that guy over there? Is he the newbie?” asked Alisa wiping off her pink lipstick and changed it to matte red.

“I guess so, but maybe he is the exchange student which Mr. Carson was waiting for, well I just heard that their company ties with some incorporation blah blah” jane with her blabber style and Queen of eavesdrop. I can’t help myself not to eavesdrop but it’s hard. I don’t care about someone if he’s a newbie or not but the thing is, he has this stare on me that make me lose my guard.

“Looks like our baby boy had a crush on you” Anderson grinned at him and gaze up on me. What’s with this man by the way? Did he ever dreamed to be Cupid with sarcasm? Tss.

All the conversations stopped as our old professor comes in and started to talk about algebras and equations.

“Hey Emi… I just wondered why Mr. Samson don‘t have a cute son wandering in the campus eh?” Anne genuinely asked me whenever the situations get boring.

I just smirked. “Because as what I’ve calculated Ms. Willows, you had only eyes for men and not for books, is it?” Mr. Samson with his brows raised butt in.

The room filled with laughter “Oh! Maybe… yes and no Sir?” she shrugged as if grades for good manners won’t disturb her innocence.

“Ms. Anne Willows, you will come with me to the Guidance office!” his brows now were flat and decided to continue writing down the equations again.

“Ugh! This is not pretty to handle” she rolled her eyes and heaved a sigh. Undecided if I’ll speak but… “It’s your 10th time to kill hours, woman”. I uttered while writing down some equations on my notes.

“I’m used to it by the way, just see you in the cafeteria because I had a conversation with about this newbie here who always stares at you.” She whispered in my ears.

Suddenly, my eyes landed on him and were taken aback. I caught a glimpse of him staring and avoided my eyes. The class ended and Anne killed some hours in the Guidance office. I was about to get my cheerleading costumes to practice but stranded with some students watching some kid fights. I pushed myself to see what is happening and badly need to change my clothes.

It’s him. A guy with his thick glasses and checkered polo lying on the floor with scattered books and yellow roses. “My dear fellow students let me just introduce you to this lover boy! His name is…” Anderson picks his student I.D and read.

“Oh! Hello to you Mr. Damien Zachary Samson!…” he shrugged and think of how kiddie his name was.

“This is our lover Damien, Oh by the way, ahhh” he wanders his eyes and suddenly landed up on me and so I crossed my arms to tell that I don’t give a damn about his plays. This Anderson guy needs to be punished for his unethical actions, really.

“Oh yes! Here is our Juliet my dear audience! Well, if you don’t know, Ms. Juliet I,… just accidentally… well, somehow watched this man putting some pink notes on your desk and even had an idea to put flowers and notes on your locker”.

“What’s the fuss Anderson? This is not even a big deal so just stop this and let this man go!” I just can’t deny how puzzled I am with this guy bullying someone who is just putting flowers and pink notes… Wait what? Pink notes.

He grabbed this Damien’s collar and put his arms on his shoulder as if they were being friends by now. “Why would I? You are mine. So nobody would even dare to court you, because you are —-“ he loudly announced and shows his territorial side.

“I am not your girl, Anderson! I never imagine being with you, so let him go!” so that’s it. I felt that some ego shattered just like that.

“What?!” he got furious and grabbed again this Damien’s collar to punch his face hard but to his surprise Mr. Carson grabbed his arm with his full speed and strength.

“This is too much, boy! You won’t dare hit his face ever… again…or I will call your Mom about this, huh?” he threatened him.

He threw Damien’s body to the ground and makes his leave. “All of you must leave this place and attend your classes, right now!” Mr. Carson shouted on our faces.

I decided to leave but to my surprise, I suddenly want to talk to this guy and just help him picking the books and …

“T-This is for you, I guess?” stuttered himself, I decidedly to get the yellow roses and let a simple smile. “As what I’ve felt, yes, thank you.”

“Hey lovers just finish this up and go to your classes”. Mr. Samson then leaves us. Suddenly, my head turned up as he let out a small laugh.

“Hey! What’s with the laugh?” I asked.

“Because Mr. Carson called us lovers, so I presumed, were definitely and likely fit in with each other and—-“

“Woah woah! Calm down a bit. I will just ask if…”

“You will ask me if I’m free this Saturday, so yeah, I’m always free.” He frankly said and smile at me.

“No! I mean about the pink notes.” I sighed and waited for his response. I badly need to know who always leave some notes on my desk.

“I am. I did all of the notes and yes, I had a crush on you Emily Walter”.

I woke up with my alarm clock banging me to get myself up for my interview. I turned off the alarm and stared on the ceiling for some seconds. It was just another dream, Emily. I get up from bed and erased the thing so I can prepare for my first interview with Mr. Zach.

“Ms. Walter! The named Emily Walter? Please come here in front and be ready with your interview!”. The secretary shouted at my name so I had a quick look in my mirror, brush my hair, and hurriedly come to her desk. I really want this job as far as I want to successfully finished this interview and be hired.

The secretary opens the door and lets me in. I wandered my eyes to see a man standing with his broad shoulders and black suit, enjoying his time seeing buildings from the window. Well he has a gorgeous back right there huh.

“Ugh! Stop fantasizing your future boss Emily! “I murmured and hope he didn’t hear that. And with all my might, I speak to the man. You got this, woman!

“H-hello Sir! It’s nice to meet you. I am Emil—“ I was stopped as he utter my name.

“Emily Walter from, Bergrenwoods, please sit down”. he stopped. Finally turned his back and face me. I got stocked standing and can’t move my feet. What’s with this man? Is this his ways to intimidate all the applicants and later say we’ll call you later, next?! No way!

“Please, sit down, I had some questions for you so better answer it quickly”. He sit with his black swivel chair and put the timer on his table. I also got this information about him that whenever there was a meeting or some negotiations he showed timers. I also heard that the owner of this company has declared his only grandson to manage the business and after some years, he had given the company such high sales and gain a lot of rivals in the business. Well, enough of this information.

“Yes Sir. I am all ready” I smiled. But to my surprise he didn’t start the timer and it drives my mind to overthink.

“Don’t dare smile, For I can’t hold back”. He uttered with his husky voice.

“Excuse me?” I dared to speak with a question on my face.

He then entwined his fingers like giving the best proposals for you to invest with them. “Do you remember a guy named Damien?” he seriously asked.

I assure to this man that he can barely read my face telling, Is this even a formal interview for me to get hired in this well-known company? To know who that Damien is?. Is this for real?

“Sir, I don’t know who is that Damien?”. I pushed a simple smile balancing my answers. And as I’ve answered him, I caught something in his eyes, longing for someone.

He shrugged as he accepted a genuine answer. “I never thought that your answer would be this hard to deal with”.

He opened his drawer and showed me a picture of a girl in her high school uniform. I was even more surprised to the girl who’s showing her genuinely smile. I am that girl in that picture.

“How can you get this picture? Just who you are you?” I asked him with a confused look and didn’t care about my actions and questions.

He just smiled at me. “Do you now remember me, Emily?” he asked and looks seriously in my face

“I… don’t remember that much? Just tell me how can you get this picture, Mr. Zach Samson?”

Wait, his name is Zach Samson, Zach, Is this the man who Carly pushed me to chase a man named Zach? How hilarious Carly was! Zach is a business tycoon and she wanted me to chase a man like him? Just great!

“Hey woman, answer me, before you fantasize my body”. He chuckled.

“You’re insane Mr. Samson”. Yes I dared to say this. I am too curious how he keep my picture in his.

“I am insane only for you, My love”.

“Mr. Samson, here’s your order, can I come in?” His secretary answered.

“Oh yes, come over”.

I am confused by the things he’d showing and revealing to me. He stands up and meets his secretary. I just don’t get it why did he asks me about the name Damien.

“Ms. Walter, can you turn around, please?” he offered. Undecidedly, I turned my face on him.

He is now wearing a thick eyeglasses while holding a bouquet of yellow roses. Ever since I had a bad day, I’d buy a yellow rose and it makes me feel alive again. After confessing that he had a crush on me the day he had bruises because of Anderson’s co-players, I never saw him again in school. The yellow roses everyday became scarce and long gone. I never talked to Anderson that day and forget that he exist though he always make it up to me every day, saying sorry for what happened. The yellow roses were from Damien, the guy who makes me smile with his own ways.

He gave me the bouquet of roses with its pink note saying, “For My beloved, Emily” as I read the letter, my heart started to pound. I looked at his eyes intently and gave the answers to his questions.

“You… you are Damien?” I was caught off-guard and shocked about my realizations. He nodded and smiled at me as if his proposal was successful, as if he made a girl say yes.

“You are Mr. Damien Zachary Samson?, the-the Damien nerd who was always get bullied by Anderson?” I was puzzled and reconnecting the information I had.

“Ouch! Take it easy, my love!” he the act as if he had an unbearable pain in his left chest.

I smirked with the thought that I had met Damien as Mr. Zach Samson, the most intimidating man that every person wouldn’t want to get near him. I laid the flowers and as what I’ve expected him to feel, rejected, his face went gloom.

I stand up and gave him a warm hug. I really missed this man. I never thought that I’d see him once more and touch his skin and feel his warm body against mine.

“I’ve heard a loud beating inside of you, hold that back”. I muttered, as I hear his loud beating heart.

He accidentally released a small laugh. “My love, this damned heart only beats for you. It shouts and beats only by the name, Emily Walter.”

“I’ve waited this for so long… to get you near me. I just love you Emily, from the day that I met you until this very day, I love you, I always will”. He kissed my forehead which leads a shiver down my spine.

“I never imagined that I chased a beautiful butterfly”.

“You are my own butterfly”. 

February 15, 2021 10:49

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

6 comments

Such a great story, T!

Reply

T. Crandia
13:57 Feb 17, 2021

WOW! Thank you sooo much for that. You make me smile because you had a time reading my story. God Bless you and more stories to come!

Reply

Aww, thank you so much! Your welcome! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Nainika Gupta
14:17 Feb 17, 2021

Wow, awesome submission T! I loved the pacing and the narration...really was great :)

Reply

T. Crandia
03:55 Feb 18, 2021

Wow! Thank youuu soo much! God bless you and more stories to come Nainika! ♥️

Reply

Nainika Gupta
13:27 Feb 18, 2021

No problem!! :)))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.