3 comments

Fiction

“All flights have been cancelled!” The overhead speaker called. 

“Just great!” James stated aloud. 

James walked towards the airport counter. He was going to talk to these incompetent workers. 

Ugh! There’s a line. James thought. The staff couldn’t even handle a line, or a couple of planes. 

He started to move forward in the line. 

“Next!” the airport staff woman said. 

As James walked up to the counter, he clenched his fist. 

“How may I help you?” The woman asked. 

“How may you help me? Let me think. You could get some flights out of here! I had a business trip, but NOW I can’t be there because of you guys. If you could do your job, that would help! Those are many ways you can help!” 

“We definitely hear you, but there isn’t much we can do. This is not our fault. It is a system error.” 

“Something you can fix. Is it a storm?” 

“No, it’s not.” 

 “You can fix your errors. Why am I paying for an airline’s mistakes?” 

“We're trying to fix this problem right now.” 

“You’re not doing a good job of it. When will this ‘show’ get back in the air?” 

“At the least, a few hours, and at the most, a few days.” 

“A few days?! That’s unbelievable! An outrage! You think that you can jus-” James paused as his phone rang. 

“I have to take this. Maybe they can help me.” 

He walked away from the counter and took the call. 

Are you on the plane? 

No, I’m not. These people cannot fix their errors.” James looked at the Airport Staff behind the counter. 

When will you be here? 

“I don’t know. They said the error might not be fixed for a few days.” 

We need you here, James. 

“I know! It isn’t my fault; these incompetent people can’t fix things properly.” 

You better figure it out, Waller. 

“Well, I guess I have to wait and see.” 

“You honestly don't seem the type to wait and see.” A young woman quipped. 

“Excuse me?” James asked. 

“I believe you heard me, and you’re excused.” 

“I’m going to have to call you back,” James said as he hung up the phone. 

“What do you know about me?” 

“From what I could see, you’re the arrogant I’m-better-than-you type. You also don’t seem to care that everybody else has somewhere to be.” 

“The was quite a remark. You almost had me there.” 

“I almost had you? You just proved my point.” 

“I don’t have to prove anything to you.” 

“This must be the first time you've been told you’re an arrogant person. You aren’t handling it well.” 

“Well, who asked for your opinion? Certainly not me. Next time, just keep your opinion to yourself.” 

“So, I’ll be meeting you again, next time? That’s surprising coming from you.” 

“That’s not what I meant.” 

“What did you mean?” 

“I, uh- meant that you should keep that to yourself next time.” 

“Well, I better let you get back to arguing with staff and phone calls.” 

“Oh, you’re so kind. I will do that.” James walked away from where the woman was sitting. 

He hoped he would never have to deal with her again. 

*** 

Oh, that man! His behavior was rude and unbelievable. Sophie was glad he no longer stood where she sat. There were too many of hims in the world. Well, she couldn’t remain centered on him all this time. 


She should just read her book. It would keep her occupied. She was never should have said anything, but she was annoyed by his behavior. Was Sophie supposed to ignore someone who blatantly believed he was the one person in the world? She probably was supposed to. *** 

One day later 

“Why is this not fixed yet?” 

“We are still trying to resolve the issue.” 

“Outrageous! To think I paid for a flight, and I’m not going anywhere.” 

“Sir, you’re welcome to take a seat over there.” The woman gestured towards an empty chair. 

James had spent the night on the phone, and trying to figure things out. 

James glanced over there. 

“No, I’m not sitting there.” 

“Why not?” 

“The woman who’s sitting in the chair beside the empty one. I’ve seen her before.” 

“Most of the other seats are taken.” 

“I. Am. Not. Sitting. There. Just. Fix. This. Problem.” 

The woman gestured to the empty chair and said, “Next in line!” 

James didn’t want to sit on that chair, but did he have a choice? 

“Oh, it’s you again.” The woman said, looking up from her seat. 

“Yeah, it is me again. I didn’t have much of a choice in where I sit.” 

“You probably get to choose everything in your life. Not thinking about how other people don’t always get to choice.” 

“You don’t even know me.” 

“I never said I did, but it’s easy to understand you. Your actions say it all.” 

“It seems you’re the one who has it all figured out.” 

“I figured you were the type to act in such a way. If you find that offensive, I apologize. It’s only the truth.” 

“What’s your name?” 

It caught her off guard. Perfect! 

*** 

“My name is Sophie.” She said, wondering why she was telling him this. 

“James, a pleasure to make you acquaintance. You have a way with words.” 

“I try to.” Sophie said. 

“It works for you.” 

She smiled, then said, “That’s interesting to hear. From you, anyway.” 

“All flights are now resumed to fly. Everyone may begin getting ready to board.” The overhead speaker called. 

“I guess this is it.” 

“I guess so.” 


*** 

Boarding the plane was quite a task. The halls were crowded. 

“Flight 229 to Boston is now boarding.” 

James collected his items and began the boarding process. He placed his bag in the overhead compartment and sat down in his seat. 

“Boston is nice.” The woman next to him said. 

“It is.” He glanced over and saw it was Sophie. 

“Boston, huh?” 

“Yeah, Boston.” 




August 31, 2024 00:01

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Mary Bendickson
18:57 Sep 01, 2024

They will either love the trip or hate it.

Reply

15:19 Sep 03, 2024

🪷

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Beverly Goldberg
05:38 Sep 01, 2024

Fun story. The reader has to figure out the relationship that could evolve between those two. It makes for a lot of thinking about those two personalities meshing--or just parting ways.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.