A Light in the Dark Part Twenty-Five: The Dullahan of It All.

Written in response to: Write about someone taking advantage of some unexpected free time.... view prompt

0 comments

Adventure Fantasy Friendship

Holding a lantern, the flame refused to give off decent light. Victoria had been kicked out along with Boomer. Huffing in a simmering pool of rage, my job was to find a trapped dullahan and throw this rotting spirit into Hell. The sarcasm was rich in my thoughts, the smell of gas soaked strings wafted up my nose. Throwing my lantern on the brick pathway, the flames danced over to the strings. Orange flames lit up the night, a sea of twisted trees surrounded me. Howls echoed in the air as a blood moon came out of the clouds. Pulling out my scythe, a pack of skeletal wolves surrounded me. Quiet fear hid beneath my glare, an inky ribbon twirling around me. A whinny had them scurrying away, a jet black horse with ruby eyes trotting around wildly in front of me. Petting the head, its snorts grew more erratic. Biting the collar of my scarlet blouse, he flung me onto him. The frills of my black skirt danced in the wind, my arms curling around his neck. Hanging on for the ride, my hair floated up with every gallop. Skidding to a stop, a severed head floated in a glass tube, the wild red waves danced in the liquid. Sliding off of her horse, she had to be somewhere around her. A rotting man with stringy gray hair lunged at me from behind the tree, his milky eyes glittering with malice. Kicking him back, the door from Hell had to be somewhere. Grabbing her head, the horse scooped me up.

“Take me to her body!” I ordered with a pat on his head, her head feeling heavy underneath my arms. Blasting the rotten spirit with balls of fire, his body kept flying into the air. Crashing through the forest, his hooves crushed every root in the way. Ignoring the branches scratching my face, the job at hand was more important. Skidding to a stop in front of the worn church, a buck tossed me through the rotting door. Tucking myself into a ball, the tube holding her head shattered inches from a well dressed body in a emerald Victorian gown. Cursing under my breath, her gloved fingers pointed to the wall. Struggling to my feet, my eyes followed her finger to her worn staff. The wavy handle had Celtic symbols carved into it, the rotten spirit bursting in. 

“I need her head to make it to the surface.” He hissed creepily, his head twitching oddly. My eyes flitted between the scythe and him, the lack of time allowing me to do one thing. A glint of silver caught my eyes, a cursed dagger quivering next to his ragged suit. Inky sludge dripped off of his yellowed ribs, his teeth hitting the worn wooden floor with his sly grin. Sprinting towards her scythe, one lift of my leg took the hit from the dagger. Throwing her scythe through the bars, a cloud of dirt obscured my fall. Raising his dagger over his head, the bars of her prison rattled. Watching with him, a deep violet began to stain my skin. Pushing through the searing pain, a venom was coursing its way through my leg as the metal clanged against the wall. Scooping up her head, terror widened his eyes. Whistling sharply, her horse knocked down the guy on his way to her. Riding off into the shadows, a loud fuck escaped my lips. Struggling to feet, the attempt failed. Feeling around the wood, a portal could be opened up underneath me. Punching at the wood with the full force of my powers, a scream burst from his lips at us crashing into Hell. Groaning the moment my body hit a rock, the hole sealed shut over us. Grinning ear to ear, his footsteps became deliberate. Crawling with my trembling fingers, one option stood out. Raising my scythe over my head, one swing sliced off my leg. Letting out a scream, inky blood flowed like a river. The cursed leg decayed, violent sobs wracked my body. Every breath grew shorter, the dullahan returning with a polite smile. Why did she leave me alone to die? Lucifer stood next to her, horror widening his eyes. Spinning a matching dagger in his palm, one throw had him decaying to ash. Crouching down to my level, they hovered their hands over my wound. Struggling underneath their spell, Lucifer let out a sigh the moment he jammed a needle into my neck. A rough darkness stole me away.

Snapping awake with a deep breath, protests fell on deaf ears the moment I ripped the blanket off. A jet black metal leg replaced what was my left leg, a familiar severed head on my nightstand had me screaming and jumping into the air. Landing roughly, an apologetic smile dissolved any fright in my expression. Her body sat two inches away, my eyes scanning for a fuming Matty. A wave of relief crashed over me at the lack of Matty’s presence, my hand taking her’s. Seeing her safe made the metal leg worth every ounce of pain. 

“Are you okay?” I inquired with my genuine smile, a tender blush rising to her cheeks. "Would you care to be my friend?” Flashing her a tired smile, her other hand cupped mine. Clearing her throat, her pale skin glistened in the light of the flames. 

“I am Bella Marbh, the leader of the dullahans.” She introduced herself with a polite smile and a heavy Irish accent. “You have to be a bit daft to do what you have done. I would love to make your acquaintance as your mate from now on, ye little lass.” Letting go of her hands, her horse trotted in. Clopping up to me, his tongue soaked my face. Loving every moment, I buried my cheek into the soft fur. Patting his snout, his snorts of joy sent waves of euphoria through me. 

“Do you want to see Ireland?” She offered sincerely, glancing over at my father for permission. Shooting her a thumbs up, the plans had been made. Helping me to my feet, she watched with a twinkle in her eyes as I slid on my boots. Lifting me onto the horse, the silk of her dress brushed against my skin as she climbed on behind me. Holding her head while grabbing his reins, my hair floated up the moment he stood on his hind legs. Letting out loud neigh, freedom twinkled in my eyes as he jumped out the window. Racing through Hell, a portal swirled to life. Jumping through, the stones of the Hellfire Club greeted me. Bursting through the building, the moss added to its beauty. Chilly air nipped my cheeks, her horse paused in front of the forest. 

“Do you want to get lunch at my favorite place?” She chirped cheerfully, her nervous grin dimming her stunning features. A small yes escaped my lips, his hooves crushed branches through a breathtaking forest. The moss covered the ancient trees, a wooden tavern coming into view. Parking her horse among the other animal familiars, her slender fingers curled around mine. Yanking me down, her arm caught me in an accidental embrace. Guiding me through the worn wooden door, a sharp whistle stole her attention.  

“This is my new friend Lily! Treat her like family.” She introduced me with a crooked grin, my eyes taking in all the fairies and leprechauns. “Let’s eat some of my favorite stew.” Welcoming me with smiles and hearty laughter, the stools groaned as we took our seats. Placing her head gingerly on the table, her waves cascaded over the counter. Ordering two bowls of beef stew from the minotaur bartender, he bowed in my direction. 

“Thank you for the meal.” I blurted out awkwardly, her hand cupping my cheek. Silent tears streamed down my cheeks, the sight of my leg stealing a considerable amount of my confidence. Wiping away my tears, an Irish lullaby flowed free from her lips. 

“Yer beauty is still higher than mine. Lass, a leg is simply a leg.” She comforted me with a hearty giggle, her words having little effect. I suppose she was right, the bartender placing our bowls in front of us. Watching her feed her head, wonder mixed with confusion at the sight. Eating my stew in silence, her bowl was empty before mine. Gulping the rest of it down, a dark energy was heading our way. Jumping down from my stool, her protests fell on deaf ears. Rushing out to see a sea of banshees screaming in my direction, a wild storm whistled to life. Horror rounded my eyes, Bella leaning on my shoulders. 

“Shite, they found me. Those are witches who sold me to that idiot.” She growled in my ears, her sharp whistle ringing out in the forest. Trotting up to her, a devious smile spread on her determined face. An inky ribbon swirled to life around my scythe, the customers watching from the window. Charging with her, my feet barely touched the forest floor with every swing. The shrill shrieks died down, the remaining ten parting to reveal the Dark One. Spinning my scythe in my palm, Bella promised to take care of the banshees. Flashes of white darted past me, the wiry haired white ladies of the night sprinting towards her. 

“I knew that they would be child’s play to you. I hope you are warmed up.” He mused with a fit of maniacal laughter, his shadowy form solidifying. Summoning a shadow blade, the giant sword rested on his shoulders. Malice mixed with sick pleasure, his brow cocking at the way I leapt into the trees. Leaning onto the trunk, my middle finger taunted him in the worst way. 

“Bring it on. I don’t have to win today to damage you.” I bragged with an equally evil grin, the branches creaking as I popped from branch to branch. Appearing behind me, I needed to get to a clearing to give me the room I required to use my new training. An empty circle caught my eyes, dirt obscuring our landing. His footfalls pounded towards me, my own matching his. Narrowly missing him, our weapons swung over our heads. Skidding to a stop, our minds coursed through what to do next. Strategy was our strong point, both of us scanning each other for any weaknesses. Someone had to take the first swing, my boots crashing towards him. Expecting me to swing from the front, bewilderment twisted his features at me leaping into the air. Aiming for his neck, his feet moved out of the way in time. Huffing in his spot, a small line of inky goo appeared on his neck. Touching the wound, his form popped up in random places. Unable to track him, sheer panic showed in my features. Striking me through my chest, blood clotted my throat. Whipping me off of his blade, my body rolled into a tree. Coughing up blood hurt like hell, his sword having popped one of my lungs. Struggling to my feet, our battle wasn’t over. Remembering what my father taught me, it was time to switch tactics. Feeling the blood pour from the corner of my lips, the effect of his sword was null and void on me. Lucifer made me drink the venom from his sword every single day to increase my tolerance. It sucked but it was worth it in this very fine moment. Closing my eyes, his heart glowed in his chest. Standing my ground, this strategy would mean me taking a few strikes of his blade. Crossing my arms, I needed to know his pattern. Striking me as he wished, the tip of his blade sank into me several times. Hot agony raced through my body, his pattern making it clear to me. Swinging my scythe up, shock rounded his eyes at the sudden block. Sparks danced in the air, my body trembling in my spot. Even without the venom, he struck several key parts of my body. Pushing off the ground, feathers snowed around the moment my wings unfolded. Floating in the sky, silent tears stained my cheeks. Damn, this hurts. Just a moment longer, I told myself in an attempt to make this worth it. Wincing as the energy built around the tip, his shoulder was my target. If I took off an arm, he would have to run back home to heal himself. Wishing that I could heal myself, the vial of God’s blood rolled around my pocket. Fishing around my pocket, my free hand massaged it into my blade. Zooming towards his darting form, time slowed as my eyes picked up each movement. Landing gracefully, another push off the ground had me behind him. Spinning my scythe underneath my arm, his arm hit the ground. Unable to grow back, a puff of smoke stole him away. Collapsing into a heap, the blows reaped what they sowed. Coughing up more blood, a paralysis came over me. Something told me that I overdid it, Bella scooping me up with Lucifer by her side. 

“We will patch you up before you go home. Not a word will be said to Matty.” He promised me with our matching smile, his hand hovering me. Wonder brightened my eyes at the wounds sealing shut, his relief showed in his relaxed shoulders. Thanking her with a bow, he tossed my limp body over his shoulder. The ruby velvet of his suit tickled my cheeks, my muscles refusing to move. 

“I am not sure how to point this out to you. I had you build up immunity to not soak your entire body with the venom.” He sighed with slight annoyance, his exhausted eyes meeting mine. “Did you figure out how he moved?” Flashing him a bright grin, his eyes rolled when my grin grew wider. Snapping his fingers, the beauty of Ireland faded to our field of roses. Sitting on the bench, his strong arm laid me down next to him. Watching the roses dance in a warm summer breeze, his hand rested on my shoulder. Nothing needed to be said, the two of us happy to be in each other’s company. Waiting patiently for the paralysis to end, a wiggle of my toes had relief crashing over me. Popping to my feet, my hand hovered in front of his face. 

“Care to join us for dinner? I bet that Selene would love to have some grandfather time. I think that she is seconds from walking on her own.” I invited him with my hand on my hips, his brow cocking. Accepting my hand with a sly grin, the field dissolved into the porch in front of my home. Dread bubbled in my gut, the door creaking open. Matty clutched me close to his chest, his eyes falling on my metal leg. Locking the door behind us, the dread blossomed as his hand tugged me into our bedroom. 

“What happened to your leg?” He demanded in a hush tone, the sound of Dean cooking in the other room scaring me slightly. “You had a leg and now you have a metal leg. I can normally let things go but this is beyond my normal level of patience.” Sitting on the bed, he plopped down next to me with a softened expression. 

“I took a stab from a cursed blade to save a dullahan.” I stammered through a wall of tears, the feeling of hideousness returning with a vengeance. “You must think that I am an ugly monster.” Laying my head down on his lap, his lips parted to speak. A wild whinny echoed outside, people yelling in the other room. Popping to my feet, my footfalls echoed with each step towards the chaos. Bella waved at me with a miniature pony walking in next to her.  

“I had to see if my wee lass had made it back in one piece.” She chuckled with another one of her trademark smiles, her eyes scanning the people in my house. “I should get going.” Grabbing her wrists, she deserved a hot meal after today. Assuring her with my real smile, I sat her down at the table. 

“Have a meal with your wee lass. We are family now.” I teased playfully, Lucifer waving at her with Selene on his lap. Bouncing her up and down on his knee, her ivory dress looked stunning. Death smashed into me, her mouth moving a mile a minute. Felix made his way up from his room, his chastisement of Dean’s cooking began. Helping him correct his mistake, one would think that my house was a madhouse. Peeling Death off of me, her eyes lit up at Bella. Holding her back, my stern gaze shut down any investigation. The chair groaned as I sat down next to her, a longing look burning in her eyes. Wondering if she had a home, there was an extra bed down in the basement. 

“Do you need a place to live? This isn’t Ireland but I have an extra bed downstairs and Felix over there has similar hours. He is a reaper of children. You might get along.” I proposed with my real smile, silent tears staining her cheek. Felix wiped his hands on his apron, his ripped t-shirt and black jeans making him look more like a teenager than usual. Offering her his hand, a tender blush rose to her cheeks. 

“I am Felix and I look forward to rooming with you. I won’t make too much noise. Nothing beats living here. Maybe you could cook dinner with me to help out.” He introduced himself with a bright smile, her fingers curling around his. Shaking each other’s hand, Death pushed me out of the way to interrogate her. Matty whisked me into a passionate kiss, our hearts beating at the same speed. Basking in the magic of the moment, life sure had a way of reminding of how blessed you were. Blessed I was in my world of chaos.

January 26, 2024 16:26

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.