2 comments

Holiday Adventure Drama

Ladies and gentlemen, we have landed in Lima. It is now 2.35 pm local time. The weather is nice and sunny, with a comfortable temperature of 72 degrees Fahrenheit. Thank you for flying with us today and enjoy your stay in the colorful country of Peru” – the pilot announced.

We look forward to having you onboard again, soon” – the lead stewardess added.

I can’t believe we’re here, Peter. It’s been my dream to climb Machu Picchu for the longest time. And we’re finally going to do it” – Emma said to her boyfriend in the seat next to her.

He looked at her lovingly, smiled, and kissed her on the forehead.

Anything for you” – he whispered into her ear, before getting up from his seat.

#

Emma and Peter spent the first few hours getting settled at the five-star hotel that Peter booked for them as a Christmas present. This was their first vacation abroad, and Emma had a feeling that her boyfriend of three years might propose to her once they reach the peak of Machu Picchu. He knew climbing the mountain has been at the top of Emma’s bucket list forever.

Let’s dress up for dinner tonight” – Peter announced after they have fully unpacked.

But why?” – Emma groaned, looking at the sweatpants she held in her hands.

We’re on vacation. No one knows us. Why not be elegant? We can pretend to be like characters in a movie” – Peter replied enthusiastically.

This is odd” – Emma thought to herself, trying to remember a time when she saw Peter wear dress pants and an ironed shirt.

Hesitant, she put away the sweatpants and pulled out an ocean blue dress from the closet. She put it on and twirled to see how the bottom of the dress moved. She smiled at her reflection in the mirror. She looked stunning.

Woah” – Peter uttered as she exited the bathroom.

You like?” – Emma asked with a coy smile.

Oh, I like. I like very much” – he replied with a grin.

Peter kissed Emma on the cheek and offered her his arm. She grabbed it, and they walked out of their room, heading towards the resort restaurant.

#

Order whatever you’d like. We never go anywhere. We’ve got to live it up a little” – Peter said as he sat down at the table.

Their table was situated by the window, overlooking the Pacific Ocean.

The view is breathtaking” – Emma marveled.

Yes, it is. And I’m not talking about the ocean” – Peter replied, with his eyes focused on his girlfriend.

Emma blushed and chuckled.

A bottle of your finest wine” – Peter requested when the waitress approached.

They spend the evening eating, drinking, and recalling various events from their lives together.

Thank you for suggesting we dress up tonight. I felt so dignified” – Emma said when they got back to their room.

Peter smiled gently at her.

What are we doing tomorrow for New Year’s Eve. I wore my best dress tonight” – she asked.

I thought we could go hiking tomorrow. No need to dress up for that. There’s supposed to be a tour guide at breakfast tomorrow. We’ll form a precise plan, then” – he replied.

#

If you were to opt-in for the deluxe package, you will get to experience everything Peru has to offer – gorgeous views, tasty food, the best of wines, and a New Year’s Eve celebration in the Andes mountains” – said the tour guide.

Emma and Peter looked at one another with understanding. They nodded slightly. It was a done deal. They were going to purchase the package that would give them the full experience and solve the issue of New Year’s Eve party.

For those of you who choose to go with us on the full journey, we will gather in front of the hotel at 11.30 am sharp. Do not expect to be back until sometime the next day. We will countdown the seconds to 2020 in the mountains and return in the morning whenever you wake up” – the guide added.

#

We will make camp here for the night” – guide Pedro announced once it started getting darker outside.

I’m exhausted” – Peter said to Emma.

Yea, me, too. But today’s been perfect. Just look around” – Emma replied, extended her arms to the sides and twirled around, breathing in deeply.

I’m so glad you’re enjoying all this. This is not the end. I still have a surprise for you later tonight” – Peter said, embracing Emma from behind.

They stood in silence for a moment, simply enjoying each other and their surroundings.

Could this get any better?” – they both thought to themselves and smiled.

Everyone, come, sit by the fire” – Pedro asked as he passed by Emma and Peter.

We have some food and drinks available. You all must be famished and tired after such a long day” – he continued while passing mugs to everyone, followed by a thermos filled with tea.

It’s called Ayahuasca – liana of the soul. It will enable you to look deep within yourself. This brew will help you relax and see things like you’ve never seen them before” – Pedro explained and took the first sip.

YOLO, right Peter?” – Emma laughed and took the first sip.

Let’s live it up” – Peter replied and followed suit.

They all sat in silence for a few minutes, looking around and taking in the sights.

I need to take a piss” – Peter whispered into Emma’s ear and left towards the woods.

#

There you are!” – Peter exclaimed and waved at Emma, who was crossing the field in front of him.

Where the fuck have you been, Peter?” – she asked upon reaching him.

Woah, babe. What’s wrong?

I asked you a question.

I was right here. I must have fallen asleep by the fire” – Peter finally responded.

Are you playing games with me?” – Emma asked, standing over Peter.

What’s going on? I just woke up” – Peter inquired.

What happened was that a few minutes into the fire party last night, you got up to go relieve yourself, and then you disappeared, nowhere to be found. I spent hours looking for you and finally went to bed” – Emma answered, visibly upset.

Who did you kiss at midnight” – Peter asked.

No one. I was upset that no one wanted to help me look for you. I went to sleep before the countdown” – Emma replied.

Well, that’s good. I mean, the fact that you didn’t kiss some idiot just because he was standing next to you at midnight.”

Emma shrugged, regretting the way last night turned out to be. It was supposed to be romantic. Just two of them looking at the stars and sharing their love for one another. Him getting down on one knee. Instead, they spent it apart, which was from what she had envisioned.

Hang on a minute. I think I remember something” – Peter interrupted the awkward silence.

As I was coming out of the woods, a guy chatted me up. What was his name? … Ah, yes, Mark” – Peter exclaimed with satisfaction.

Who’s Mark?” – Emma asked, exasperated.

A guy from Vegas” – Peter replied.

Vegas? Do you hear yourself, Peter? No one lives in Vegas.

Mark does. Born and raised. He loves it there.”

I don’t remember meeting a Mark or anyone from Vegas for that matter during the climb” – Emma interjected.

Me neither, but I was so focused on you and the climb that I didn’t pay attention to other people. I remember Mark and me coming back to the fire, but everyone was gone by then. We sat and exchanged stories. He’s such a fascinating guy. I can’t wait for you to meet him” – Peter said, looking around as if trying to summon Mark.

Pedro?” – Emma hollered at the guide who was passing by on the other side of camp.

Pedro approached with a big grin on his face.

Yes, Emma?” – he asked.

Is there someone named Mark in this group?” – she asked him.

Hmm… Mark? Mark… No, there isn’t. Why do you ask?

Peter said he spent all night speaking with him” – Emma explained and looked at Peter suspiciously.

Maybe he’s a part of the second group. I know they had their camp not too far away” – Pedro offered.

See?” – Peter looked at her, hurt that she wouldn’t believe him.

What’s the time?” – Peter asked, jumping to his feet.

It’s almost noon” – Pedro replied.

Our conversation flowed so naturally last night. We were exhausted, so we went to sleep, but before that, we agreed to meet up today and exchange contact information so we could keep in touch. If he were a part of the other group, it would make sense why he wasn’t by the fire just like me. He probably woke up and went back to his group” – Peter said, unable to contain his excitement.

I will try to get in touch with the other tour guide and see if Mark is with him” – Pedro said as he walked away towards his tent.

#

Emma, I spoke with Mel – the other tour guide, and he said they went back to town early in the morning. He dropped off the group an hour ago. He doesn’t remember a Mark, but he admits to having less than perfect memory. He’s in it for the money, not the human connections like I am” – Pedro announced.

Maybe he dreamed it all up” – he added.

Or maybe he hooked up with a chick from the other group and is trying to hide it” – Emma retorted.

I have NOT hallucinated an entire conversation with another human being. And no, I did not sleep with anyone, either. I love you, Emma” – Peter proclaimed as he entered the tent.

Well, whatever it was, we might never know for sure” – Emma replied and exited the tent.

Once outside, she blotted the tears from her cheek, grabbed her backpack, and made her way back into town, leaving the past behind.



December 29, 2019 22:10

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

10:23 Jan 17, 2020

Wow. I wasn't quite sure what to expect, considering you had the same initial thoughts as me! This story was an emotional roller coaster. It started off so sweet and beautiful, but went quickly off the rails. I practically screamed, "Don't do it!" when they were offered the tea. I don't know if you intended it, but I got the distinct impression that Peter had an awakening during his drug trip, and came to the realisation that he was gay, despite his relationship with Emma. Fantastic story, really got into my mind.

Reply

Sam Kirk
21:23 Jan 17, 2020

Hahaha, thanks, Joshua! Hearing that you almost screamed out: "Don't do it!" is a great compliment. I didn't write the story with that intention, but as I finished it, I definitely wondered if that might have been the case. Interesting that you've picked up on it, too.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.