The Additional Package

Submitted into Contest #78 in response to: Write about someone who keeps an unusual animal as a pet.... view prompt

1 comment

Fiction Science Fiction Thriller

'Sir, you are about to enter a private zone. You are not authorized to enter this zone. Please turn back.' announced a voice.

'Yes, we know that. Our oxygen and fuel supply is about to finish. We need help.' said Tom with a calm voice. He was inside the spaceship with his crew of three people.

'I repeat, this is a private zone. Turn back or you will be shot down.' warned the previous voice once again.

'Don't you see that we need help?'

'Our escort will help you outside this zone. That escort will supply you with fuel cells and oxygen cylinders. Turn Back, NOW!' said that voice again with quite an emphasis on Now.

'Tom, all set. Go on full throttle', said one of the three crew members.

'Kindly double-check the Shield. The blow will be quite tremendous, and slight fault in that Shield will vaporize us instantly. We have to survive blast as well as fall. So, please re-check again.' instructed Tom.

One of the crew members stood up and went near the computer. He re-runed the diagnostic on the Shield. After few seconds, the diagnostic report came back, and they were all set to go. 

'Re-checked, Tom. All good to go' said that crew member.

'Okay, then buckle up and be ready to touch the death and come back to life.' said Tom.

'You have ten seconds to turn back and follow our escort. Failing to do so will result in your destruction. Turn back, immediately.' that voice warned again.

Tom ignored that warning just like people ignore the sign of cancer on a cigarette box. He increased the speed to maximum. After seven seconds, Tom put that spaceship into autopilot. He then went into the Shield and activated it.

When the spaceship entered the inner circumference, it activated the defense system of the planet. It launched two missiles in succession to destroy the intruder spaceship of Tom coming towards that planet at full speed. 

The blast was devastating, and it lit up the entire sky for few seconds, just enough time to enter the planet without being noticed. 

The Shield inside that spaceship was unique, and one of the latest innovations that will help Tom and his crew to survive those missiles.

The Shield was unique, and Tom purchased it recently. That Shield was the only way to enter the planet, which was protected by the latest technology of the entire universe. But that planet was unaware of the black market, and Tom purchased this Shield from that black market. 

The working mechanism of that Shield was simple. It forms a protective layer of electromagnetic Shield combined with a synthetic translucent fiber in a cube formation. This Shield was apt enough to withstand the nuclear missile, not one but up to nine. In layman's terms, it would be quite impossible to penetrate that Shield. 

The next best thing and the unique thing about the Shield, and its unmatched protective quotient, was its capability to shrink itself along with the subject inside it. This feature reduces the protection area and gives the added quality of secrecy with more than enough stealth. 

Tom was going to use this to enter the planet unnoticed. They entered the planet inside the Shield with the debris of the spaceship. The space LiDar would also be inapt to detect and differentiate Tom from the rest of the spaceship debris.

They were safe inside the Shield, but the strong winds hindered that not so perfect plan. The winds carried them into the jungle and not on the river. They planned to fall into the river and navigate to the nearest island, where their target lived.

The target was protected from all the side by the water, and if they used their shrunk Shield to navigate through waters and enter the island, no one would notice.

But not all plans succeed, and even if they succeed, they succeed at not the precise moment that we want. 

Tom and his crew members landed on the tree and fell freely onto the greener grass. They unshrank themselves after waiting for an hour. Tom was making sure that no one detected them or if any patrol is nearby. 

The only problem with the Shield and thus in their plan was that the Shield was one-time use. The budget didn't allow Tom to purchase another Shield. They stood-up and reagin their balance as everything seemed too big.

The cold was intense, and they had prepared for the river and island. No one prepared for this. They had food but what they lacked was the heat. 

But, there is a solution to every problem as no lock is ever made without a key.

Until now, all of the crew members, along with Tom, considered that box as a piece of additional baggage. However, the additional baggage was about to save the day. They also discussed fiercely its inclusion inside the Shield. Not all agreed, but the split vote allowed that baggage inside that Shield. 

That crew member fetched that baggage. Inside the baggage was an unusual pet that that crew member carried around with him on every mission. It was a bonsai dragon, and it will save the day by vomiting fire.  

The spacesuit was lost in the explosion and as per their plan, there would be no need for a body warmer. So they choose weapons instead of the heat source. But strong wind changed all.

The bonsai dragon found on one of the farthest planets would now serve as a body warmer. No smoke, just the heat. 

They were here to kill one of the council members of the universe. These council members ran the universe. The people of Earth gave Tom a contract to kill that councilman. The councilman was vetoing the sustenance of one planet.

That councilman was hellbent on destroying a planet that was suffering due to the greenhouse effect. Once the cradle of humanity would be destroyed, if all the council members did not agree to revitalize it. 

The councilman on this planet was not so keen on helping the Earth as he thought that even after revitalizing the Earth, humankind will return to this same position after few centuries. It is better to destroy that planet and get over it. 

Tom was here to save Earth, and he was quite successful after three days of hiding and dodging the patrol to reach the island and execute that councilman. 

They fleed the planet using that councilman's spaceship and save the Earth. 

January 27, 2021 07:32

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Estelle Westley
11:09 Feb 04, 2021

I would normally not choose to read this genre but this I thoroughly enjoyed. Well done. I would appreciate if you popped over to critique my work. Would be appreciated.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.