0 comments

Fiction Sad

      The scent of flowers greeted guests as they entered the funeral parlour. So many arrangements surrounded the casket. Jeremy knew his mother’s funeral would bring many people out to visit who had not associated in their lives recently, and he was nervous about it.  In his 50s, he still lived with his mother in his childhood home. It was very convenient and pleasant until she became sick and dementia controlled her life. For the last several years Jeremy had been his mom’s caregiver and her passing was almost a relief for him. It had been a very difficult life these past few years. Jeremy was especially concerned about seeing his older brother Thomas, who had not been a part of their lives for the past 30 years. Thomas left home, to pursue his career, when he was in his mid-twenties and rarely participated in any family functions. Any holidays or special occasions were only acknowledged with a quick email or phone call. Being single, his fast-paced jet setting lifestyle was his priority and unfortunately the family was often neglected. Jeremy tried to contact Thomas when their mom grew ill, but very little reciprocal communication ever took place. Thomas had moved on with his life and his past was no longer an important part of it.  Jeremy hoped that his mom’s death would bring Thomas home and repair their abandoned and fragmented relationship.

           When Jeremy first glanced at the stranger who entered the parlour, he didn’t recognize him, but it didn’t take long to realize Thomas was home. Since his departure, thirty years ago, Thomas had physically changed. He had gained a lot of weight and looked much older than his years dictated. His wrinkled skin, long grey hair and dishevelled attire personified an unhealthy man who was having difficulty taking care of himself. This was contrary to the image Jeremy had expected to be confronted with. Maybe Thomas’ life was not all champagne and caviar, Jeremy thought to himself. 


“Hello brother” Jeremy yelled across the room as he made a beeline toward Thomas.  The two immediately embraced in a long brotherly hug indicative of two siblings who hadn’t seen each other in years.


“You look great Jeremy.” Thomas replied. “So sad about mom. I have really missed her and wished I could have made it home sooner to see her.”


“Probably better you didn’t see her. She deteriorated quickly and was not the women you remember. Too bad you didn’t keep in touch though. That would have been nice.” Jeremy said.


           “Yah. I feel bad about that but my life has been so busy and I have been having some financial problems too. I was going to call you to talk about it but wasn’t sure how you would respond.” Thomas explained.


           “I am your brother. How do you think I would have responded? I am always here for you. Always.” Jeremy replied.


           “Let’s get though these visitations with friends and we can catch up later.” Thomas suggested.


The rest of the day was filled with typical funeral visitation activities. Plenty of accolades and stories were spoken of their mom and many condolences shared. Throughout the day Thomas shared, with Jeremy, tidbits of information about his life. Things were not well for Thomas financially or emotionally. Jeremy was concerned about the well-being of his brother. 


After a long day of mourning and grieving, the brothers made arrangements to meet at the lawyer’s office the next day. The reading of the will was going to happen, and the brothers were the only people invited to attend.  Knowing his mom was financially well off, Thomas hoped that his inheritance would finally bring him the needed funds to get himself out of the debt that haunted him now. Gambling, drinking and an extracurricular lifestyle of excessive partying brought these unpleasant circumstances to Thomas. Jeremy led quite the opposite lifestyle – A meek and quiet life with a constant look to the future and always preparing for it. Knowing more about his brother’s circumstances and having early information about the contents of the will, Jeremy became concerned. He knew what the will had in store for each of them since he acted as his mom’s power of attorney while she was sick. He and the lawyers laid out the details of the will according to his mom’s wishes and he knew Thomas would be very disappointed. 


           The lawyers’ office was located on the fourth floor of a typical downtown high rise corporate building. The elevators opened directly into the main lobby where a receptionist faced the brothers.  


“Welcome and have a seat in the waiting room. Mr. Croteau, your solicitor, will be with you shortly.” Greeted the receptionist.


           “Thank you.” replied Jeremy as they walked toward the waiting room.


As the wait approached twenty minutes, Thomas became irritated and impatient.


           “What the hell is taking so long?” he blurted out for everyone in earshot to hear.  The receptionist ignored the outburst. Jeremy, embarrassed, just sunk slouched into his chair hoping Thomas wouldn’t continue this behaviour.  He realized that he really didn’t know his brother very well. It was like being with a stranger. Thankfully, Mr. Croteau made his appearance and invited the boys into his office.


           “Welcome gentlemen.” Mr. Croteau said. “This will be quick. All I will do today is read your mother’s wishes expressed in her will.” With that being stated he immediately began reading the contents. “Jeremy, you are left with the house, all her investment portfolios, all her other assets with the exception of one item - her velvet painting of dogs playing poker.”

The dogs playing poker painting was their mom’s favourite painting only because she found it so ridiculous and humorous.  She purchased it at a flea market many years ago and hung it up in the rec room where it stayed. It was a great conversational piece and brought many fun conversations forth with visitors of her home. Jeremy wondered Why would his mother leave him everything except that painting? Both boys looked at each other, both with a curious look on their faces. After a brief, awkward moment of silence, Mr. Croteau continued. “Thomas, you are left with the velvet painting of dogs playing poker.” With stunned looks on everyone’s faces, and a slight chuckle from Mr. Croteau, the room was silent again.


           “What is this, some kind of joke?” Thomas blurted out.


           “Oh, it’s no joke.” Mr. Croteau added. “There is more. With the painting comes this explanation as dictated directly to me by your mom.” 


The boys sat in anticipation and prepared for Mr. Croteau to continue. 


           “I will quote your mom with the words she wished to express at this time.” Mr. Croteau clearly stated, “I leave this painting to you Thomas, since gambling and entertainment were more important to you than your own family. The final straw for me was when you chose not to visit me on my seventieth birthday because you already had tickets to fly to Vegas. You promised to visit me many times after this getaway, but you never did show your face. I can only assume you are here today, now that I am gone, looking for a handout. Enjoy the painting my son.”


The silence was broken with Thomas kicking over a chair and yelling general profanities expressing his anger. 


           “What a joke. You did this didn’t you Jeremy?” Thomas questioned. “You were always momma’s little baby and you probably talked her into giving you everything. You are a weasel.”


           Jeremy knew he was getting most of his mom’s inheritance, but this was a real surprise to him. This kick in the pants to Thomas, for being such a poor son, was totally his mom’s doing.  Being the kind-hearted person he was, Jeremy offered to share the inheritance with Thomas and presented this idea to Mr. Croteau. 


           “You can share the inheritance with your brother,” Mr. Croteau answered, “but it will have huge tax implications, hefty legal fees and take quite a long time to settle everything. Is this the route you would like to go?” 


           Thomas quickly interrupted. “Forget that. Jeremy, how about you just give me $20 000 and I will get out of your life again. I never really cared much for coming back but I thought mom might leave me something in her will. Give me some cash and I will be on my way and never bother you again.”


Disappointment and heartache could only describe what Jeremy was feeling at that moment. He hoped his brother might return, a new man, and they could mend their relationship as siblings. With their mom now gone he hoped the two of them could be family. It’s all he had left - one brother. But after witnessing Thomas’ motives for visiting and his heartless concern for their mom and their sibling relationship, he knew Thomas would no longer be part of his life.  


           That week Jeremy gave Thomas $20 000 cash, a quick hug and his last goodbye ever.  He knew it was time to cut ties with Thomas forever. As he watched Thomas drive away without any gratitude or remorse, Jeremy knew it would be the last time he ever saw his brother. Thomas left the painting and it still hangs in the rec room of Jeremy’s inherited home. It is the one and only reminder of his brother now and Jeremy tries to avoid that room as much as possible.

January 31, 2021 00:07

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.