Chicago Witch Trials, Part IV: Her Little Friend

Written in response to: Start your story with someone saying “Thanks a lot” (sarcastically or sincerely).... view prompt

0 comments

Urban Fantasy Horror Adventure

“Thanks a lot,” Raelyn managed to wheeze with as much sarcastic air as she could muster. The explosion had sent her flying. Two of Juniper’s soldiers had appeared to catch her, with a third placing himself directly between the older woman and the blast to intercept any airborne shrapnel heading her way. Even so, her clothes were singed, her chest hurt greatly, and she’d lost her hat. Her hat!


Despite the pain, she tore herself free from the soldiers’ grip and turned toward a wolf’s enraged howling-


No, not a wolf, she thought. The boy, Kennedy.


The boy had transformed. This was a common ability for red witches. The changing of the flesh. Some reds warped the flesh of unwilling victims, turning them into thralls. According to Mary, Irma had done just this to the poor girl’s friends over at Hell Nights. Yet there were reds who preferred to be more hands on. They mutated the organic material of their own body, enhancing themselves. Transforming themselves into the ultimate predators. Yet this power always left a mark, making them easy to spot. But Kennedy…


“Freeze!” a voice suddenly called. Two officers were hesitantly making their way over to her, their guns drawn. Their eyes were wide, terrified. Even so, the heavier one called out, “Drop th-the guns. Get on the ground now!”


Juniper’s soldiers looked to one another, expressions neutral. Suddenly, in unison, their radios chirped and Juniper’s familiar voice rang out, commanding, “Regroup. Time to kill the red and retrieve my husband. Alive.” She then murmured, likely more to herself, “Otherwise I’ll never hear the end of it from Jenna.”


Rodger that,” her soldiers replied. In unison, they stepped forward and dispersed into dark-blue rockets of smoke. The rockets zoomed around or through the cops. The two men yelped and jumped. Raelyn couldn’t help but feel sorry for them. Yet she forced herself to put one foot in front of the other, as painful as it was. The house burned behind her as she reached into her coat and produced her book. She turned to page, searching. Searching for one particular child in particular.


One on her naughty list.

#

Armando’s teeth chattered as he struggled to hold onto the monstrous wolf. Luckily, he’d been a professional bull rider before enter show business. Even so, this did little to prepare him as they entered incoming traffic. The wolf bounded from car to car, smashing in the ceiling and sending glass flying through the air. Tires squealed as drivers desperately tried to maneuver[JG1] out of the way, only to crash into one of their neighbors. Armando was too busy trying to stay on that he couldn’t keep track of how many people this particular bull-ride had hurt or killed. This had seemed like a good idea at the time. Something fun and manly and sure to finally impress Juniper.


But now?


The traffic suddenly lightened up, making it easier to ride. The echoes of screeching tires and sirens were replaced by screams. Armando managed to sit up a little and get a gage his surroundings. His heart immediately sunk into his stomach. The wolf had left the highway and had peeled over into a parking lot. A mall parking lot. Parents carried their kids to cover as the wolf snarled and barreled forward, saliva flying from its mouth. Three brave members of mall security hurried out the front doors to see what all the commotion was about. Understandably, the sight of a giant, hellhound charging towards them made the men freeze in place.


No, Armando thought fiercely. He leapt forward and hooked both arms around the wolf’s neck. His feet hit concrete and he had just enough time to pull down. The monster was impossibly strong, but even it couldn’t ignore a full-grown man-especially one of Armando’s size and strength-suddenly pulling down on its neck. It tripped over its self, sending both itself and Armando rolling. The guards jumped out of the way just in time, and Armando hugged himself close to the wolf’s stomach. As a result, the beast’s back took the brunt of the impact as they smashed through the front doors and entered the mall proper.


Even so, Armando’s strength finally gave out. He lost his hold. He and the wolf rolled apart. He collided with the side of self-checkout counter, scaring away the employee who’d been in the process of emptying it out. He saw thee of her as tried to smile reassuringly and said, words slurred, “Have…nofear…matador…h-here.”


She stared at him, and then a great shadow fell over them both. They both looked up and found the devil wolf glowering them at them, lips pulled back. It stood on its hind legs, its clawed hands trembling with anticipation. Armando stared back at it, too tired and in too much pain to be properly terrified. Even so, he still flinched as the wolf dug its claws into his stomach. Like fish hooks, they curved into Armando’s flesh, digging into him as the wolf lifted him up to teeth-level. The beast’s acrid breath filled his mouth and nose, making his eyes water. Uncomfortable warmth forced itself Armando’s mouth and seconds later he had no choice but to cough up blood. It splattered across the wolf’s snout, somehow managing to enrage the monster further.


World going dark, Armando smiled, chuckled, “Open wide for Papa, eh?” Then, in a more tired voice he whispered, “Jenna…I love-”


“Shut up,” a familiar voice snapped. The wolf flinched and whirled around, swinging Armando around painfully like a ragdoll. Pain shot up Armando’s spine, momentarily jostling him back to full consciousness. And there, not twenty feet away, stood the woman he loved.


And potentially the most dangerous creature on the planet.


Juniper met Armando’s gaze, rolled her eyes. Those same eyes then filled with blue-white light as she pulled back the sleeves of her suit, revealing muscular, heavily tattooed arms. That same light flowed into her tattoos, illuminating her entire body. Juniper then brought her hands together in front of her, flexed her fingers, and the light solidified. Transforming into a ghostly Mi6 machine gun.


Armando couldn’t help it. “Say…hello to her little f-friend, Diabo,” he laughed through bloodstained teeth.


BAM!

November 26, 2021 23:49

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.