1 comment

Drama Adventure

I thought I’d been everywhere, seen everything but this was one place I never imagined I’d encounter. For as long as I can remember, I’d been attracted to pretty places, which is the case for most people. However, thanks to my budding sense of adventure and my family’s bustling bank account, I’d been able to travel anywhere my heart desired. I still remember my first trip to the lush, green coastlands of Ireland. Looking out into the ocean atop those monstrous cliffs felt like something out of a movie. It truly felt like a magical place. But the true beauty of this world is that each destination, each continent, country, city, and backstreet held something unique. Something that made it more than just a tourist destination or a place to check off on my travel blog. What made it beautiful and breathtaking was the people. And that’s how I find myself here and now. Never in a million years could I have imagined I’d end up here, but that’s the beauty of life, is it not? I couldn’t tell you the exact defining moment that made me choose the path of life I ventured on. Maybe it was my love for traveling or my deeper-seated love in making a lasting and real impact in a hurting world. Of course, I knew places like this existed, but it wasn’t within my circle of influence to be in a place like this.

But here I was.

I closed my journal, tucking the dulled down pencil behind my ear and preparing for another day in the blazing heat. As I stepped off the rundown bus full of chattering passengers, I was bombarded by skeleton-like figures trying to pass for children. The smell of the place alone was enough to deter anyone who’d grown up with running water and soap. But I was here to help, not to judge.

“Mikayla!!!! OH MIKAYLA!! HELLO!”

A Cheerful looking woman in what looked like a khaki pantsuit flagged me down practically pushing back into the road and into oncoming traffic.

“Mikayla Monroe? Is that correct?”

“Uh, yes,” I responded. “That’s me.”

“WONDERFUL! We’re all so happy you’ve arrived. I’m Annabelle Micheals, but everyone here just calls me Miss Molly,” she said with a toothy grin and an uncalled-for hug.

“Why do they call you Miss Molly?”

“Oh, you know, this and that, many details to be sorted out later. Let me take you to the dormitories and then I’ll give you the grand tour.”

Miss Molly did not seem like a woman to be trifled with, despite her optimistic personality, so bright, the sun dulled in comparison.

I followed her past dilapidated houses held together with rotting wooden boards and rusting bits of metal. I couldn’t help but stare as we passed through this sad-looking place. It was as if poverty itself were a person that had taken up residence in this small town.

I continued to follow Miss Molly through the town and towards a much more solid-looking building. It wasn’t much but compared to what I’d seen, it was a castle. The large, squat, concrete building was surrounded by maybe three or four smaller structures.

“This is the main dormitory,” exclaimed Miss Molly, extending her hands out as if she was introducing Lady Gaga.

“Wow,” I said with as much enthusiasm as I could muster. At least there’d be hot water...right?

We walked into the building as Miss Molly continued, “The left hallway leads to the women’s dorms and the right to the men’s. We like a more traditional setting here so no sneaking over.” Miss Molly gave me a wink and a little nudge. 

Perhaps keeping my past escapades private would be the wisest way to go. 

“Miss Molly!’

A girl with a messy brown bun hurried towards us in a frenzy.

“Oh my, Jasmine, what seems to be the problem?” questioned Miss Molly,

“It’s the water pump!! It’s broken, again! Jason and Ariel have been trying to fix it but we may not have running water for a few days more.” Jasmine said worriedly.

“Hmm, well, maybe I can call up Arnold in town and see if he can send someone over. But…” She looked over at me. “Can you finish the tour for Mikayla? She’s just arrived and I’d hate to leave her on her own.”

“Of course!” Jasmine retorted happily.

Miss Molly sauntered off, hopefully, to use her good nature to charm the water pump into working again.

“Hi, Mikayla, was it? I’m Jasmine! We’re so glad you’ve decided to join our efforts down here. There’s so much need.”

“Yeah, it seemed that way when I arrived,” I recalled the sorry excuse for houses and the starving children.

“Well. it’s not all bad! There’s so much you haven’t seen. I’ll give you the deluxe tour. We can come back to the dormitories later on.”

I followed her back outside and we began to reenter the town. 

“What exactly can you show me that I haven’t already seen?” I asked, fairly skeptical. I came here to help people and they obviously needed it. What more could there be except poverty?

“You’re probably wondering where I’m taking you. But trust me, there’s a lot more to this place than meets the eye.”

I followed her through tight alleyways where vermin skittered and scattered. At one point a cockroach the size of my palm skimmed across the dusty road in front of me and I about had a heart attack.

“Are we nearly there?” I asked. I’d give anything for a dip in the hot springs of Iceland or to be lounging on the beaches in Madrid. I tried to recall why I’d signed up for this again when Jasmine spoke up.

“Here we are.”

I looked up to find hordes of people gathered amongst the only trees I’d seen since my arrival. And a small stream trickling its way through the crowd. 

“Where are we?” I looked at Jasmine, a bit dumbfounded. It wasn’t necessarily what I would call pretty, but the slightest bit picturesque. As if the town itself has donned its prettiest clothes for some special occasion.

“The locals call this place ‘The Burrow.’ Once a week they gather together, everyone brings a dish of something delicious and they have a family meal.”

“They’re all family?”  I asked.

“Well they’re not all related if that’s what you’re asking, but yes, they’re family. They don’t have much in the ways of material possessions or even many of the necessities of life; like a roof over their heads or three meals a day...or even three meals a week. So, this one night a week, they bring out their best fruits and freshest bread and they share it with their neighbors because when they have nothing else, they’ll always have each other.”

“Wow, I can’t imagine having so little, I’ve always had everything.”

“You probably decided to come here to help those less fortunate, but maybe those less fortunate will help you right back whether you realize it or not. Sometimes I come here and I look at them and wonder if I’m the one who’s actually lacking in life.” Jasmine looked really serious for a moment then broke out in a big smile.

“Jasmine! It is so good to see you again! And you brought a friend this week. Come, eat, there’s plenty for everyone”

September 18, 2020 19:14

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Josefin Björk
07:52 Sep 25, 2020

This was such a sweet story! I really enjoy how you anthropomorphize the town itself, like when it "dons its prettiest clothing". I also really liked the description of Miss Molly, her toothy grin and uncalled-for hug really tells us a lot about her character. I think maybe you should use "said" more often, though. For example, in "“Oh my, Jasmine, what seems to be the problem?” questioned Miss Molly" we already know it's a question. If you save the more specific dialogue tags, they will pack more of a punch when you do use them. Same wit...

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.