0 comments

General

Have you ever tried counting the stars? that's a question that I used to ask all the time, I was just counting them at this moment I counted 1,290 ten more than last time. I needed a way to relax I recently just lost my job and I needed to take a breather and the stars can be quite calming and satisfying in a way each star is different its own ball of fire well I guess that's enough for tonight I do have to go job hunting in the morning. What do you want to be when you grow up? that's a question everyone grew up hearing and most kids would say; A Chef, Firefighter, teacher, or a scientist I never really knew what I wanted to be. Until I became overly obsessed with space after watching Space Exploration: the age of bubble on youtube after watching that document I actually studied astronomy for years and after I graduated high school I went to a university to become an Astronomer I've only been in for twenty weeks and just last week I had to drop out because I couldn't pay for the rest of the semester, hints this mornings job hunt and I was late every day to my job which also lead to me getting fired. when I looked across the street I spotted a "Help wanted" sign in the cafe window maybe its just a coincidence but I should go and take this opportunity. *Ding Ding* Mmmmmhhh smells like freshly brewed coffee "Hello is anyone here? I wanted to ask about the job" I guess no ones here yet "H-hello? is someone up there if there is can you come help me please" I made my way to the back of the cafe that's when I saw a girl struggling to lift up a box, I rushed over to grab the box just before it fell almost crushing her "Thanks for your help if you weren't here I would've been crushed by now" I couldn't really see the girl she was short around 5'4 feet "HEY!" when she yelled I jumped almost dropping the box again "What is something wrong?" "Michael' Soo sorry I didn't notice before." As I finished pushing the box onto the top shelf I looked to see a Carmel brown girl, with brown narrow eyes with two afro puffs, she knows my name? " S-sorry but do I know you from somewhere?" "ouch, I'm hurt you leave class for a week and forget your old partner" what is she talking about she's from the same university "My names Maya' Martin won't hold it against you we did only work on one project together." that's right I forgot I did a project just before dropping out but why haven't I noticed her before she seems so optimistic beautiful and radiant who could miss her, me apparently I couldn't recognize Maya. "Since you helped me your orders on me." she smiled as we walked to the front of the cafe "Oh no thanks I'm actually here for a job." Well after Maya and I talked to the manager she agreed to let me take the job, then Maya made plans to go to the park later this week she really is so kind she even gave me her number just in case I needed to call her if it got overly crowded during my shift she said she "come right over to help me take orders" I guess that takes care of the job hunt thing that was easier than I thought it would be *Brinngggg* oh yeah its mom said she would call me later today: "

Hello? "

" Hey, mom are you feeling any better hows dad and grandma?" her voice sounds likes its gonna break any minute is she trembling?

"Micheal this is your aunt Rachel your mother has passed."

At that moment I felt my whole heart collapse in my chest my breathing almost completely ceased.

"Hello, Michael are you still there? she died on the way to the hospital the car breaks stopped working."

What am I doing? I'm sitting on the sidewalk trying to make sense of all of it mom said she was getting better the Doctor said she was getting better mom even started working again today was supposed to be her last check-up at the hospital, how could things go so badly so quick I told aunt Rachel that I would be back home soon to attend moms funeral. That night I couldn't sleep and I really need comfort but I didn't want to bother Maya with my troubles so I went to bed with a broken heart and an empty soul. Tomorrow is moms funeral I spent all morning packing and preparing for the flight back but I couldn't bring myself to cancel my plans with Maya which was also tomorrow I could really go for a nice hot cup of coffee, as I was walking down the sidewalk I noticed a familiar girl one with caramel skin, brown eyes and brown hair it was Maya and despite me being so drowsy and hurt from yesterday I go and scream her name " MAYAAA!!" wait what's wrong with me that was a little too loud every on the street stopped and stared at me, well that was awkward but that worked I managed to get her attention she walked up to me she was carrying a big bright smile that she seemed to carry with her everywhere "You sounded like a football announcer" she giggled and I somehow managed to give a weak laugh we ended up going to the nearest cafe, I got a coffee and Maya got a caramel latte when I bend my head down to take a sip from my straw I looked up to a curious maya staring at me like she could see i was truly broken inside i can feel her able to look through me " what is it maya something wrong?" smiled hiding my pain "Michael are you okay? your eyes are kinda red and you look like your in a lot of pain." I took a hard swallow before bursting into tears saying " Y-yeah Maya I'm fine." "Michael, I'm sorry was it something I said?" I couldn't stop the tears I wasn't going to ether it's like everything that was in a safe locked up deep away had been cracked open Maya rushed over to me and gave me a hug she then whispered in my ear "you can tell me anything or nothing I won't judge you, Michael." Her body warm and her words warmer I grabbed Maya's hand and kissed it, her face became flustered she then softened her eyes and said "Let's take a walk in the park." As we walked in the park I told Maya everything from losing my job to losing my mom I explained to her how I would have to cancel our plans for tomorrow and how I would have to leave early in the morning to catch my flight Maya was so comforting and understanding I wish she could come with me. When I got back to the apartment I went straight to bed, when I woke up it was 6:30 in the morning and I had to be at the airport by 7:30 as I took a quick shower I could hear my phone ringing non-stop when I got out of the shower and checked who it was calling and texting me I thought it would be my aunt calling me to tell e the details about the funeral time to my surprise it was Maya she tried to call six times and only texted once her text said: "i have a surprise for you!" it was already 6:45 so I didn't really have time to respond to her text, I called a taxi to take me to the airport. As soon as I stepped out Maya was waiting for me at the airport doors she was wearing a long white tunic dress with her hair down in big curls I was at a lost for words so I just smiled and nodded my head at her and she smiled and we border the plane together. After we landed we arrived at the service and I told my aunt how Maya would be joining us she smiled at Maya and kissed her forehead then gave me a kiss on the cheek once the service was over we had a celebration for my mothers time here on earth when everything settled down it was starting to get dark and I told Maya of a place I use to visit as a kid she grabbed my hand and said with curiosity:" come one show me." I walked Maya down an old dirt path leading to a hill we decide to race each other to the top once we were up there I laid down with Maya looking over me I smiled and that's when I spotted it the brightest star in the sky my eyes began to become blurry with tears I smiled and whispered to my self:" I know that's you mom." the star then twinkled and grew brighter and there I laid counting stars starting with my mom being one of the many.

July 25, 2020 03:51

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.