0 comments

Black Fiction Mystery

Kori stroked her little sister’s head as she lay in her lap, absentmindedly staring out their bedroom window. The village was shrouded in silence; only the night breeze that blew past the ghostly trees and Kori’s windchime broke through. With a full moon glowing brightly against the clear, inky sky, Kori closed her eyes, taking deep breaths. 

A sudden rustling in the bushes stirred her awake. She peered at the shrubbery outside, not a couple metres from her hut. If not for the bright moonlight, it would have been too dark to tell, but Kori was positive she could see a shadow move, hear a branch snap. Is it a lamb? A calf? Kori thought a child must have been separated from their herd.  

Gently, she lifted her sister’s head off her thighs and placed it on a pillow she’d leaned across to get. Kori stood up, stretched and then peeked her head out their bedroom. The door opposite hers was their grandma’s room and to the left of it, their parents’ room. Kori tiptoed gingerly past them, past the kitchen and family room.  

When she reached the front door, she carefully twisted the knob. A cool blast of air greeted her, carrying the scent of the forest with it. It expanded in her lungs and spread small goosebumps over her arms. Throwing one last glance behind her, she paused. Her parents warned her against leaving the hut at night.  

Wild creatures roamed the forest beyond the village borders, creatures that would hunt and kill. The night was their domain. Kori knew it was dangerous to venture out, but she couldn’t help feeling worried for the little creature. Their herds were dwindling in numbers and bearing young was rare for their herds, especially the cattle. She didn’t want to risk losing one.  

The night was chilly, so Kori threw a glance at the stand by the door, grabbing for a covering at random in the dark. Steeling herself, Kori tucked her dreadlocks under the hood of her cloak and stepped outside, closing the door with caution behind her. She trudged through the muddy pathway that led to the back of her hut.  

The earth, fresh with the smell of rain, clung to the hem of her nightgown. Kori was grateful for the summer showers they’d received over the last few weeks. The lands were now fertile and she loved watching the village young—including her sister—splash in every puddle they could find.  

Approaching the bush with care so as to not frighten the little creature, Kori knelt down, squinting to see if she could spot a tuft of white wool or a black snout through the leaves. Come out, little one. She reached forward, sifting through the shrubbery. A thorn scratched the tip of her fingertip, and she pulled her hand back with a start.  

Rubbing the stinging sensation to dull it, she wondered if the creature had wandered beyond the village borders. The forest wasn’t safe, especially during the night. Kori bit the inside of her lip, debating how fast she’d be able to find the lost animal and bring it home. A sudden jingling broke her from her reverie. 

Kori turned, standing up to listen for the source of the noise. The wind swept past her cloak and nightgown, hardening the mud that caked her bare feet. When the jingling could be heard again, Kori scurried forward, peeking behind the back wall of her house.  

A figure stood silently in the middle of the village grounds, dressed in a red top and matching skirt that reached her ankles. Kori’s eyes trailed to the stranger’s feet where she wore gold anklets, each one adorned with several tiny bells. Under the moonlight, the girl’s clothes reminded Kori of peony flowers in bloom, and her skin of the bronze earrings her mother wears during village celebrations.  

Kori gasped when the girl threw her head back, locking eyes with her. With a feline smile that heated Kori’s cheeks, the girl studied Kori, absorbing every cell of her being with her obsidian, almond eyes. She spun on her toes, beckoning for Kori her with a nod of her head before prancing away. 

As if attached by a golden string pulled taut, Kori nearly lurched forward, following the mysterious girl as she twirled past the village borders and into the forest. Kori paused, feeling her heart pound. Sweat ran down her back and cooled against the night air. What am I doing? She didn’t have long to think before the girl appeared again, briefly visible between the blacked leaves of the trees deep within the forest.  

She seemed ethereal with her intoxicating smile and intensely black eyes, deep enough to make Kori think she’d be consumed by them and never resurface. Despite her hesitation, her body moved on its own, past the village entrance and whispering trees. Without warning, the girl suddenly vanished into the thicket. Kori broke into a sprint, the wind whipping her face and her dreadlocks whacking past low lying branches, occasionally braking off a twig or two.  

She ran and ran until she came to a clearing just a few paces from the edge of a cliff. Dazed, Kori inched her way to the very tip, able to hear the faint grumbling of what she assumed to be a very large creature. tilting her head down. Fog curled not far below, an unearthly river that veiled whatever slept soundly below. Kori blinked, her senses finally alert and jumped back. Her breath was as her eyes darted wildly around, where am I!? What happened? 

Just as she was about to turn and sprint back, her whole body froze. Fear seized her limbs, stiffening her muscles and nearly collapsing her lungs. The point of a knife grazed her throat; two slender arms, one holding the weapon up, the other wrapped around her waist felt warm against her skin.  

“Hello, little lamb. Are you lost?” an angelic voice breathed into her ear. Kori felt a shudder down her spine, her lips quivered and her eyes were wide with uncontrollable panic. What's happening to me!? Kori strained to catch a look at her captor and was greeted with the same feline smile that now seemed deadly. Kori tried to speak, but a strangled noise escaped her. “Shh,” the girl hissed, “didn’t your parents warn you of the monsters?” She pushed Kori towards the cliff-edge, still holding the knife against her neck.  

“Be a good girl and stay quiet.” Kori felt the girl’s breath warm against her cheeks. Before she could think to protest, a sharp kick between her shoulder blades sent her shooting forward. She barely had time to scream as she twisted mid-air and caught a horrifying glimpse of the girl’s eerie grin. Kori dropped in an instant, enveloped by the milky fog. The last sound to be heard was the shrill cry of the creature that pierced the night.

June 11, 2021 20:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.