Our Eventful Trip to Ocean Shores

Submitted into Contest #97 in response to: Start your story with an unexpected knock on a window.... view prompt

1 comment

Adventure Crime High School

Bam, bam, bam! A knock sounded at my window. I lay in bed frightened at the noise beside me. Slowly crawling to the floor, I grabbed one of the blinds and carefully lowered it so whoever or whatever was outside, couldn’t see me, but I could see them. I peeked out and came face to face with someone I had hoped to see.

One week earlier…

“Tasha! Ellie! The truck is loaded, time to go!” My dad shouted. “Coming!” I yelled from the back of the cluttered garage. My family has lived in Redmond, OR since I was 10 and we never plan on moving. Even though Central Oregon is harsh on the allergies. We were about to head out on our annual trip to Ocean Shores, WA for the Fourth of July, and I was so excited. The tiny seaside town was the perfect vacation destination and it's practically my favorite place in the world. I ran inside the house and pulled the headphones out of my older sister Ellie’s ears and quickly stuffed them into my pocket. “Tasha!’ She said with an exasperated look on her face. “Give 'em back!” I answered, “It’s time to go doofus!” Her expression changed in an instant. She jumped up off the floor and dashed out to the truck as fast as we could.

Six hours and twenty-three minutes later…

I peeked out the truck window and gasped. Pulling on Ellie’s arm I whispered, “Look familiar?” She glanced up from her phone and did a double take. “We’re here!” Our truck pulled into Mink Ct. We hopped out before Dad had time to take the key out of the ignition.

Ellie and I are ten and a half months apart. Everyone we meet asks if we are twins, and we always have to smile and apologetically say no. Ellie is actually 17 and I am 16, though sometimes it feels like we are farther or closer than that. Mostly farther in my opinion.

We snuck around the front to the side door of our grandparents house, and we lightly tapped on the sliding glass. It slid open a few seconds later and we were greeted with the happy faces of our Nana and Farfar (father's-father in Swedish). We were enveloped in hugs and slobbery dog kisses for at least ten minutes until our dad walking in asking for help with the bags. That night we had our traditional Crawfish Étouffée for dinner. In the morning, before anyone had woken up, I had dressed and had left for a bike ride around town. Riding out of Mink Court, I took a left and headed for Oyhut Bay. Turning right at the store I rode for about thirty seconds then turned left down a street that has nothing but houses and shrub brush. straight ahead was two flag poles with little pink flags on the ends. Guiding my bike down the trail I hid it in the bushes right beside the poles. Running down I took the path through the trees to the right and followed it until I came to the place I had loved since I was thirteen. Edderkopp of Avalindale Forest. Edderkopp is a giant tree that had reminded me of Greenwood Tree from Robin Hood. Sitting down on one of the lower branches I started to sing a song I had made up when I was fourteen.

Though the sea will rise, though the leaves will fall, I will not fear, I will believe through it all.

Though trouble may come, it will pass, because in my heart, love will surpass.

My heart will race, my feet will stumble, the wolves howl and towers crumble,

Danger will strike, and days roll past, but I won't back down, our love will last.

My memory will fade, the past just as distant, but you will remain, ever existent.

Life will end, we won't know when, but I will love you till the end.

I smiled as I sang, the birds singing far above me, and the sound of the ocean smashing against the rocky shore. With a sigh, I realized it must be time for me to get back. I stood and ran back to my bike, hopped on and pedaled home.

Two days later...

Days flew by filled with kayaking, biking, fishing, and cooking. On Saturday, my phone pinged with a new message. I checked, and found no number just a note. The note was short, but puzzled me.

Hey Tasha,

Meet me in the alleyway next to the kite shop at 7:00 PM. Don't be late!

As I said, no number, no name, nothing at all to trace who this was. So, like an idiot I decided not to tell anyone. All I said was that I was going for a ride on my black Crotch Rocket. Hopping on at 6:45, I called to my King Shepherd, Sherlock. He hopped onto the sidecar I installed, and we took off into town. Arriving, my hand instinctively drifted to my pistol my dad had bought me and unfastened the flap. Snapping, I called to Sherlock and motioned for him to go ahead. He padded into the alley and I heard him bark. Not a "I just got hit by a baseball" kind of bark, but a, "I've missed you so much WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN!", kind of bark. Trying to remain calm I peeked around the corner and found Sherlock sitting next to a hooded figure. Walking forward, I pulled out my gun and trained it on the figure. The figure held out at hand, and a sticky note was folded on his palm. I snatched it and read it's contents.

Do you recognize me now?

My head shot up and my eyes met with someone I had not been expecting. He smiled and I launched myself at him, enveloping him in a hug. “Mack! What are you doing here?” “Well Tasha, I heard that you were spending the 4th up here, and I realized that we had scheduled a vacation in Ocean Shores and thought, maybe we might see you around!” “Wow! That’s amazing! Well, I have to go. See you later!” I drove back and as I stepped through the door, I laughed. Everyone looked at me like I was crazy. Maybe I was. Later came sooner than I had been expecting. That night, something strange happened.

Bam, bam, bam! A knock sounded at my window. I lay in bed frightened at the noise beside me. Slowly crawling to the floor, I grabbed one of the blinds and carefully lowered it so whoever or whatever was outside, couldn’t see me, but I could see them. I peeked out and came face to face with someone I had hoped to see. I got up, pulled on a sweatshirt and ran to the door. Unlocking it as fast as I could, I gasped. It was Mack! With his siblings, standing in the rain, soaked to the bone. Ushering them inside. I stoked the fireplace and ran to fetch blankets. As soon as they were settled in, I realized they hadn't said a word. I sat down and looked at them expectantly. Mack was the first to comply. "Our parents were taken. These big, white, unmarked vehicles drove up, and these men hopped out, grabbed our parents, and shot bullet holes into our car tires." He glanced at his older brother, "We barely got out in time, luckily Baron had seen a secret exit and we all suck out through a downstairs window. We walked quite a ways and finally found your house." My eyes were wide with fear. "Why would they take your parents? And who?" I asked. Mack answered with a shadowed look on his face. "I don't who, and I dont know why, but don't worry, whoever did it won't stay anonymous for long."

June 10, 2021 19:23

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Mellanie Crouell
22:34 Jun 14, 2021

This story was great! I look forward to part 2.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.