3 comments

Coming of Age Fantasy Inspirational

Sweat wasn’t just dripping down her back, it was flooding. The thin material of her shirt was firmly stuck to even areas that didn’t seem possible. Grumbling, she pulled it away and tried to wring it out. It was like she had turned a faucet on, yet when she released the pressure, it was still thoroughly soaked.

“Ugh!” she spat, throwing her arms in the air. There was nothing worse than a summer in Arizona. The dry heat seemed to suck the moisture out of your very lungs. It didn’t matter how much ice water she guzzled each day, she was always wilting. She couldn’t wait to go back to her dad’s in Wisconsin in another month. Who had even come up with this plan to send her to her mom’s in the summer? What hooligan thought it was a good idea to send her here in the hottest part of the year?!

The walk to the only tiny oasis in this stupid town took her nearly an hour. She was always thoroughly cooked by the time she reached the crummy little pool filled with lukewarm water. Yes, that’s how hot it got. Even an indoor pool with no heater became a sauna on the worst days.

She stopped for a moment to guzzle half her water bottle. The ice cubes she’d packed in before she left were already mostly gone. The water was starting to feel warm in her mouth. Cursing, she stuffed it to the bottom of her bag to try and protect it from maybe a tiny bit of the heat. So much for this fancy bottle keeping it cool. She might have words with her mother about it when she got home. Then she’d get called a hothead and a full out war would ensure. She hated heat so much, she couldn’t even stand being called something to do with it.

“If you hate it so much, why don’t you just cool yourself down?”

She whirled to look at a petite guy who looked about her age despite standing several heads shorter. “Oh, thanks,” she snarled. “That fixes everything, thank you! Why don’t you mind your fucking business.”

Overly arched eyebrows scrunched above his pointed nose. The more she looked at him, the more pointed he seemed. “You haven’t activated yet?”

“Activated what?”

“Oh!” Suddenly he was standing way too close to her, peering into her eyes. She had no idea how he could stand the smell. Her deodorant had failed hours ago. “You’re only half, aren’t you?”

“Ok, dude, you’re seriously starting to freak me out. Go ask someone else weird questions,” she said, backing away.

He followed her down the street. “I can help you activate, if you like. I can smell it on you, just below the surface. It wouldn’t take much to bring it out.”

She spun, getting right into his face. “All you smell is my fuckin’ B.O., ok?” she spat. “Now leave me the fuck alone!”

He stopped walking. After a moment, she continued on with a wary eye kept on his tiny figure.

“But you are unhappy,” he called after her.

She tripped slightly, the bottom of her foot coming in too early for its landing. Without turning, she muttered, “So?”

“Don’t you want to try anything to change that?”

She stared at the pavement, taking note of every trodden on piece of gum. Yes, she did want to try anything. With a sigh she looked back at him. “Who even are you?”

“You can call me Sid.”

“And why are you helping me, Sid?”

He shrugged, staring up at her with eyes just a little too green. “Just something about you, I suppose.”

“You’re literally not making yourself seem any less weird to me, Sid.”

“That’s fine,” his grin stretched nearly ear to ear, revealing canines that looked like they might’ve been filed to be sharper, “I get that all the time.”

“So you’re this weird with everyone?”

“I prefer the term cryptid. Now, would you like my help, or shall I go?”

She groaned. “Fine. But don’t get any funny ideas. Try anything and I’ll deck you, understand?”

He was standing beside her before she had even blinked. “That sounds reasonable.”

“How did you…”

“Same way you’re going to. You just need to want it enough.”

“What?”

“Think about how you want to feel cool.”

“Dude, that’s all I’ve been thinking about all summer!”

“No, you’ve been thinking about how much you hate the heat. There’s a difference.”

She sighed. “This is so ridiculous. I don’t see what this is gonna do.”

“It’s not about seeing,” he said, grinning. He lifted her arm, extending it with her palm facing up. “Think about how the cold feels against your skin. Find the energy it gives you, send it through your limbs, and push.”

This is insane, she thought to herself. But she closed her eyes and thought of the bliss of feeling a crisp wind cooling her face, the hint of snow filling her nose. A breath of that wind slowly crept down her neck, much to her surprise, and continued down along her torso.

As it reached her fingers, the guy said, “That’s it! Now PUSH!

Though she had no idea what he meant, her body seemed to. She felt a rush of energy flare in her chest and race to the palm that was still held out. The moment it reached, her fingers flexed. With a crackle, the chill she had invited onto her skin was suddenly filling the air.

Opening her eyes, she looked up in wonder at the sky suddenly shrouded in heavy clouds. As the first few flakes fell around her, she glanced down to the boy. He was nowhere to be seen. 

Bringing her hand close to her eyes, she flexed her fingers slightly. Frost patterned her palm, disappearing once again as she relaxed. Grinning to herself, she walked off into the gathering crowd of awe-struck passerby staring at the growing blizzard.

January 19, 2021 21:22

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Zahra Daya
20:43 Jan 25, 2021

Wow! This was a very interesting read and as I was starting it I had no idea that it would have such a twist at the end! Good job! Also, I'd love it if you could check out my recent story and leave feedback! Hope we can be friends :) - Zahra

Reply

Show 0 replies
04:08 Jan 25, 2021

I really enjoyed this story! The narrator has serious attitude, and I like how we get to see Sid through her eyes. I could feel the heat she hates so much as I read and the refreshment of the cold when she activated her powers. By the end, I wanted to know more about why she has them and where they came from. This was a fun read!

Reply

Max Arlo
13:13 Jan 25, 2021

Thank you!! I was channeling Irish and Scottish mythology for this:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.