Our Little Secret

Submitted into Contest #48 in response to: Write about someone who has a superpower.... view prompt

2 comments

Fantasy

Tonight would be the night Mor would bring down the small gang that ran the main club in her town, killing whom they pleased and whenever they pleased. It had been ages since she had felt the rush of the wind as she scaled the rooftops of houses, jumping effortlessly from one to another, her hair flying and her heart pumping.

The scent of fresh air after hours of sitting in her dorm studying for her final was the best break she could ask for. It was open and inviting, the sky empty and vast. Sometimes Mor wished that she could fly, let her wings flap and take her to the sky.

But Mor had a secret. A secret that only one person knew about. She was known as the Raven with her black suit which disguised her identity and the mask that she wore on her face. But something else about her made her different from the rest.

She had a superpower. A power that made her do extraordinary things. She had super strength. Her opponents were never truly a match for her. They fought until the end and Mor let them. She let them believe they were fighting bravely till their last breath. She wouldn't let her town get overrun by horrible men and women who only came to her home to get what they desired. She wouldn't let them hurt innocent people that only wished to live their happy lives.

But something tonight stung the air, making Mor jump from the rooftop of a large house, rolling onto the floor with stealth no normal human could have and looked around. She stood in the middle of a deserted street, near a bridge. The light from the lamp posts cast shadows over her face as she blew out a tired puff of breath. It was quiet, not a single soul was out in the middle of the dark and eerie night. Except her.

Or so she thought.

Tonight, all Mor wanted to do was get rid of the gang at the club and go back to her dorm on the fifth floor, overlooking a huge pool with half naked girls trying to get a tan in the dark. She had promised her roommate, Nate she would be home by one in the morning to watch that movie he had been bugging her about. Slipping out her phone, Mor groaned. She wouldn't make it back in time. And then, her body suddenly just froze.

Someone was behind her, she knew it.

Whirling around, she kept her hand near the knife she had on her belt just in case she needed it. But no one was there. The streets were still empty, the shadows still and the wind lightly rustled the leaves on the tall trees. She rubbed her face tiredly and began to run, her super strength making her faster than a normal girl as she sprinted over the bridge and towards the light in the distance.

The bar was always opened, songs blaring, people dancing. It was never closed and there was never a shortage of people. Mor herself went down there to get wasted on nights she felt she deserved to have a break from keeping the town safe. That and keeping her identity and secret to herself.

She peered at the bar that was a few yards away from her, running her plan through her head twice before making her way towards it when a branch cracked from behind her.

She turned, squinting in the dark.

"Hey, look. It's the Raven." A deep male voice said gleefully.

Mor smiled.

It was Storm.

Whenever she went on her small missions, he accompanied her but behind a mask. Everyday, together. Together they kept the town safe. Mor had nearly forgotten about him tonight, too focused on getting rid of the gang leading the bar inside.

He also had a secret. He was just like her, but had the power of electricity. And the only person who knew about her secret.

They had been working together for far too long and Mor liked him more then she liked to admit. His voice was deep, and well...

Mor bit her lip, "Hey. Wanna help?"

"Depends on what you want me to help you with." He grinned.

"You know, the usual." Mor sighed. "The gang is out of line. There have been fifteen deaths and this time I have proof."

Storm stepped closer, fixing his mask, "Alright. I'll take the front you take the back. Let's get this over with."

"You got plans tonight?" Mor said in a teasing tone.

He gave her a serious look, "Promised someone something."

Mor frowned. "Funny. So did I."

Storm shot her a wink before walking right into the bar with a gun in hand.

By the time Storm and Mor had finished with their night's work, it was past two in the morning. Mor was in a rush to get back to her dorm and Storm seemed to be distracted too. By the time they parted ways, Mor was dragging herself tiredly to the elevator with her duffel bag over her shoulders, carrying her suit and her mask, along with her many weapons.

Just as the elevator opened, Mor's eyes widened at the sight of Nate leaning against the glass.

"Mor? Where have you been?"

"I could ask you the same thing." She grunted, dropping her duffel bag beside his.

He sent her a shrug, pressing their floor number again, "You know, running around town and all."

"Same." Mor sent him a secret smile.

Nate tried to hide his own, as if he couldn't help it. "What's in your duffel bag?"

"Some clothes. Can’t have myself running around town naked, now can I?" She said casually. "What about you?"

Nate was grinning now, "Same."

"Hm." Mor bit her lip with a smile as the elevator slid open, "You still up for the movie night?"

Nate grinned, "I'll get the popcorn."

And just like that, tonight wasn't the worst after all.

June 27, 2020 15:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

James Offenha
21:21 Jul 08, 2020

Great story!! I liked that they were a character first, then a superhero. I cared about them. I also loved the other superhero. I’d love for you to describe the fight with the gang, but I love the end of the story.

Reply

Hxmda A.A
14:44 Jul 09, 2020

Thank you so much!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.