3 comments

Fantasy

"Stop! Myroc!" Myroc kept walking and turned his head away from Leta. She grabbed his wrist and yanked him back. "Myroc! Listen to me! Please don't do this . . . "

Myroc was on the verge of tears but looked into Leta's eyes. "Leta, I know you probably don't understand, but sometimes in life, you have to do things. You have to do things that are just impossible. Why? Because sometimes there are things worth dying for."

"STOP SOUNDING LIKE YOUR STUPID LITTLE HUMAN FRIEND!!! WE'RE KATARI! WE DON'T LIKE HUMANS!!!"

"Well, I like him. And if you're truly my best friend, you would let me do this."

"No! I wouldn't! This is so unlike you! You are the sensible one. I’m the one who does stupid things and gets us into trouble. Not you!”

It was getting darker. Fireflies started flitting among the trees and crickets started blaring their songs into the quickly darkening woods. The last rays of sun danced on the emerald and silver leaves, bringing the forest of Neth to life. Moonflowers opened their velvety petals to soak up the cool, rich night air.

Myroc and Leta were both woodland spirits. Not the fiercest of their kind, like dark Katari, the kind of Katari that lived in mountains and practiced dark magic. But still, the woodland Katari were known for their fierceness and intolerance of humans. Especially royal humans. 

King Tamao and Queen Velia had a son named Prince Nicholas, their pride and joy. He rarely ever left the castle they were too afraid he would be hurt because he was their precious little symbol. 

Myroc had unknowingly befriended the young royal when he had found himself lost in the woods The prince got lost. Katari doesn’t get lost.

“Leta, I think Nicholas is different. If we can convince-”

“No. You’re delirious. HUMANS ARE NOT OUR FRIENDS. If they find you, they will KILL you.” She whispered and the fear showed in every element of her expression. “They’ll kill you.”

Myroc finally understood her panic. Leta had always been stubborn, but not like this.

“Leta, I’m gonna be careful.”

“No. Friends don’t let friends do idiotic things alone. I . . need to come with you.”

Myroc was taken aback. He knew how scared she was. “Leta you don’t-”

“I’m coming to make sure we don’t both die. Because if you didn’t come back, I might not be alive.” Her voice cracked a few times but neither she nor Myroc said anything about it.

“Don’t say that.”

“But it’s true.” Before Myroc could retort, Leta quickly added, “Which way?”

"I-" Myroc blushed. "I don't know. I figured I could search around for a bit and find it that way. It's not exactly small." 

Leta sighed and started to climb a tree. It did not take her very long to spot it. Even at a distance, the castle stood out. White bricks were stacked in neat rows. It was made with huge walls and pale blue tiles lined the numerous roofs. 

Leta mentally marked the direction and climbed back down the tree. She leaped down and landed next to Myroc, rising a small cloud of spring pollen that littered the ground. They walked in silence, but Myroc broke it after studying the murderous look on her face. 

“Nicholas is a good kid. Please. Just give him a chance."

“Humans are vicious monsters. They only care about themselves. They don’t realize they’re tearing the world apart. No good can come of this. Myroc, I’m only coming to make sure you don’t get yourself killed.”

Myroc smiled sadly at her. “I don’t know if that's going to make a difference.”

Leta pinned him against a tree and pulled a knife out of her cloak, holding it over his head. “Myroc Aveldla Eververgreen, listen to me. You are going to stay alive. We are going to stay alive. Got that?”

Myroc didn’t respond. He just stared at her sadly. Leta let go of him and just turned away. Myroc stared at the ground as they walked but laughed and nudged her. "You just happen to have that dagger right near your hand?" 

Leta rolled her eyes and Myroc grinned. "Shut up." At last, they emerged from the trees. They found themselves in a clearing that was the castle courtyard. Sitting by a fountain was a boy with raven black hair and dark eyes. When he saw Myroc he leaped up and ran over to them. 

Myroc, seeing that Nicholas was about to greet them with a shout, whispered furiously, “SHHH! We aren't supposed to be here, remember?”

Nicholas shut his mouth and gave him an apologetic look. He gestured they should follow him and lead the two to a more sheltered area of the courtyard where two walls met, providing the three with some cover.

As soon as they had hidden from prying eyes, the little prince -Nicholas- whispered, “Thank you so much for coming. I needed to talk to you, Myroc. But, uh,” he gestured to Leta. “Who is this?”

Leta folded her arms and looked coldly at Nichola who shrunk under her gaze. 

“Look here, Prince, you call me Leta. And you make sure you keep your parents under control, understand?” Leta was glaring at him so hard it was a miracle he wasn't disintegrating. 

"Oh, so you're Leta." He twiddled his thumbs, clearly a tick that happened when he was nervous. 

"Excuse me?" She turned sharply on Myroc. "What the hell did you say to him?"  

“Can you PLEASE tell her to shaddup, just for a few minutes?” Nicholas peeked behind a corner he kept tilting his head to listen to anything that was approaching. In doing so his dark hair shimmered in the moonlight, reflecting off and making Myroc’s eyes water slightly. 

“Please be nice.” Myroc started after seeing Leta's murderous look. He turned to Nicholas and said rapidly, “So what have you learned?”

“The king is considering a full-on attack. I don’t know the exact details but I get my information from small talk with him and hiding behind one of the secret passages near his strategy room and eavesdropping on the meeting.”

Leta was sharpening a different knife against the wall of the castle, leaving long scratch marks. Nicholas bit his lip, wanting to ask her not to scrape weapons against the wall but he held it back. “What a full-proof plan you two have cooked up.”

“Leta-” Myroc sighed. 

“Why is she here again?”

“To make sure no one gets themself blown up by your psycho parents." Nicholas scowled at her and Leta sneered at him. “What, did I forget to call you your highness? Is that the problem?”

"My name is NICO," He muttered.

"Prince Nico." 

"I'm as upset as you are, if we work together we can change something." Myroc and Nicholas exchanged a look. "Myroc saved me. I owe him and I never break a promise."

June 10, 2022 17:01

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Nicole Of 2022
21:55 Jun 11, 2022

im so confused. You only have 11 karma points but every story = 10-

Reply

Show 0 replies
Unknown User
02:26 Jun 14, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Show 0 replies
Unknown User
07:47 Jun 13, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.