0 comments

Fantasy LGBTQ+ Suspense

Tatianna’s fingers work diligently through the tangles in my long brown hair. It hasn’t been unbound in months and the feeling is divine. Most girls in our small village wear their hair bound in long thick braids. Some even have shimmering jewels strung along thin gold chains adorning their long locks. Normally, our hair would only be unbound twice a year, for solstice celebrations. I’ve always preferred the feeling of my hair blowing free in the wind though. 

Mother explained that not only does this keep our hair out of the way while we work and keep the heat from our bodies, it also honors the gods. The nine strands of our braids represent the nine gods of our realm. We allow our hair to blow free on those holy days so they may bless us. The braiding ceremony seals those blessings, so we may carry them with us through the season. She may have had to explain it a few times to many, if the exasperated sigh that she let out every time recently was any clue. It’s easy to push her frustration out of my mind once Tatianna pours a bowl of warmed water over my head.

From my cushions near the large bathing pool I hear the other girls, but I can only see the silks decorating the ceiling above me. This is my first time in this part of the palace. The size of this cavern alone could contain my entire home. We couldn’t stop our gasps as the curtains parted to let us into the bathing chamber. This cavern must have been carved straight through the cliff side into a natural hot spring. The walls were smooth and rounded with little pockets dug out here and there to make little rooms. These rooms had benches carved around the edges of their walls.  Some of the girls were taken into these rooms then concealed behind flowing silk curtains. They must be wealthy beyond reason to have private rooms in the palace prepared for them. A thrill rushed through my body at just the thought of being near such wealth. 

None of the other girls were familiar to me. Though, I did notice that we all had a single pearl adorning the top of our center braid. Father had picked this pearl especially for me last summer solstice. Offering it to me on a red velvet pillow, with tears rimming his eyes. Father so rarely bestowed gifts upon me that I did not even ask for an explanation before allowing him to affix it to my braid. No other girl in the village had such a simple yet beautiful jewel. The last few months I’d secretly allowed it to make me feel special. Just the thought of the beautiful gift lightened my step. I often caught myself reaching back to stroke its smooth surface. Even seeing eleven other girls with a similar pearl in their hair didn’t make it any less special to me. If anything my smile was wide as I imagined their fathers gifting them each their own pearl. I wonder if they cried too?

Tatianna had placed my pearl into a large bowl near the far wall as soon as I sat before the steaming bathing pool. Every few minutes I could hear the soft clink as another pearl was added to the bowl. I panicked at the thought of never finding my own pearl again. The sweet smelling herbs that swayed over me smoothed the harsh edges of my panic though. After a few minutes it was as if the smoke had invaded all of my senses. I couldn't help but relax into Tatianna’s hands as she rubbed my body with oils. 

Soft chatter filled the air as we began to relax. Tatianna’s firm grasp sliding down my lower arm into the palm of my hand was the only thing that existed to me for a moment. The tight circles her fingers made in my hand reminded me of the beautiful binding ceremonies of my village. By this point I had attended thirty-one. None had been so lavish. The gorgeous silks draped all around the room filled my vision. Red, orange, yellow, and even shimmering gold silks were hung from the ceiling swooping delicately over the bathing pool. Each end of the silk hung down freely creating twelve equally spaced divisions around the spring. Each section had a cozy pile of cushions beside a low table. 

The low tables were laden with fresh fruits, sweet breads I’d never seen before, and the coldest water I’d ever drank. When Tatianna told me that everything on the table was for me to consume as I please, my belly growled in anticipation. My family could never afford such a celebration feast. The food on the table could feed my family for the day. Yet, here it was, mine for the taking. Savoring every bite, I nibbled my way through each offering as Tatianna worked her magic. 

Though the other girls talked to their attendants, Tatianna and I were mostly silent after our initial introduction. There was always so much noise in my home, it was nice to be able to enjoy some peace. Being the oldest of eight, quiet was rare. Mother often depended on me to share the brunt of the work and help keep my siblings under control. Thinking about them now I felt a tinge of guilt  that my sisters aren’t here enjoying such pampering with me. Tatianna gently placed a large warm stone in the center of my back, followed by smaller stones down my spine. My body sank deeper into the cushions with a heavy sigh. 

Mother rushed me out of our home so quickly this morning I didn’t even have a chance to ask. Her giddy energy had my body buzzing though. While rushing through the dry desert air to the palace I barely noticed the tears behind her smile. It was only when she handed me over to Tatianna at the gates did she turn to lock eyes with me. 

“My dearest Sundrop, you have been chosen!” Her hug was crushing “My own daughter, chosen to be a Sunbride. We will carry this honor with us always. I will always love you, Sundrop.” I didn’t have the chance to respond before Tatianna was guiding me down the long passageway behind the gate. My racing heart matched the rhythm of the drumming that grew louder as we approached the waiting chamber. There, dancers swayed and twirled to the fast beats of the drums. I watched, enraptured, as they moved around each other with closed eyes. Too soon we’re all ushered through the curtain. 

There is no music here in the bathing room though. Only the soft sounds of lapping water and quiet chatter. My heartbeat had slowed now, my body fully relaxed, as I laid facing up at the red silk above me. I almost didn’t realize that Tatianna had left my side. I tried to stand, but my legs were unsteady under me. Laughter bubbled up from me as I felt firm hands grasping my arm, keeping me up right. 

“Sundrop, please relax.” Tatianna’s soft voice was a warm whisper in my ear. “I’m here for whatever you need.”

“I was just coming to find you.” The way my words slid around in my mouth made me laugh again. “I wanted to ask you… something. Oh! What is all this?” I gestured around with a limp hand. 

“We are in the private quarters for the Sunbrides.” She said reverently. 

“Sunbride? Mother mentioned it, but…” the words trailed off as I realized I could not recall ever hearing of a Sunbride before this morning. 

“Being chosen as a Sunbride is a great honor. For you and your whole family.” Her eyes shone with delight as she handed me another cup of cold water before asking, “your mother truly didn’t explain?”

“No,” I replied hesitantly. “She only just mentioned that I’d been chosen before you whisked me away.”

“Darling Sundrop, what excitement you have ahead of you then.” clasping her hands to her breast with an expectant sigh. “We have spent the morning preparing your body to receive the highest blessing of The Sun.”

“I do love when my hair is free” I interrupt quietly. My vision has begun to blur almost as much as my words. I’ve never felt so free inside my own body before. With my waist length hair cascading over my relaxed naked body, I feel more than ready to receive The Sun’s blessings. 

“Once all of the Sunbride’s have been readied the real fun will begin.” She brings another plate piled high with berries and sweet bread to where I am reclined on the cushions. “Eat, you’ll need your strength when you are presented to The Sun.” Grateful to be the one waited on for once, I do as she says. 

Anticipation builds as the other girls finish their preparations and congregate near the grand curtain. All different shapes of bodies lounge on cushions placed around the cavern. Only the attendants are clothed. In my village this was typical during the celebrations and hair binding ceremonies. From the comfortable conversations floating around, this was not anything new to most of the other girls. 

“I’ve been preparing to be a Sunbride since I was five summers old.” The olive skinned girl beside me slurred. Her black hair cascaded down her body, mostly covering her firm breasts. Popping a bright red berry into her mouth before mumbling around it, “I feel so honored to finally be here.”

“Our Chief pre-selected me as the Sunbride of our village at birth.” A pale golden haired girl chimes in. “He said I had the sun in my blood.” She picked at her nails as if the conversation meant nothing to her. 

“I’m… just happy to be here. It’s a great honor for my family for me to have been chosen. In truth, I’d never heard of a Sunbride until today.” I offer excitedly. Though I feel even more unprepared for what is to come, my smile spreads wider. 

 “I don’t understand?” The olive skinned girl's head cocks to the side.

I explain how Mother had woken me this morning declaring I’d been chosen before rushing here. There hadn’t been time for me to dress, not that that mattered now. We giggled together at the absurdity of being selected for such an honor having never even known it existed. 

The blonde sunk even further into her cushion, sighing, “We are to be queens.”

“What she means is, for the rest of our lives we will be treated as queens. Every ten years, one girl from every village is selected to join The Sun’s Harem. The twelve of us were chosen to represent our village. We must hold ourselves with grace, strengths, and honor, for we are Brides of The Sun forever and always.” She recited those last words as if she’d said them every day of her life. Goosebumps bloomed over my skin as her words washed over me. I was chosen to represent our entire village? The Sun’s Harem? Living like this everyday for the rest of my life?

I didn’t even have time to consider it before the great curtain was pulled back, the dancers and drummer spilling into the room. The dancers were dressed in silks that matched the ones hung throughout the cavernous room. Red, orange, and yellow swirled around us in hypnotic patterns. We watched in stunned silence for a long moment before Tatianna returned, encouraging us to join the throng of bodies dancing to the wild beats of the drum. I lost my new friends in the rush. I knew that I would find them again soon. 

Like the ceremonies of my village, there were no men present. With this knowledge I allowed myself to fully embrace the rhythm, letting my body move as it would like. With the addition of the dancers and drummers, we had little room to escape the crush of bodies. We danced until we were panting, breathlessly. Sweat glistened on our bodies in the golden light of the braziers positioned around us.

Our unbound hair swayed freely around our bodies, twirling around arms, grazing breasts, flicking our lower backs. As the world blurred around us, so did boundaries. Both physical and spiritual. The first brush of slender fingers across my breast sucked the air from me. Soon though, my body found itself intertwined with that of my new olive skinned friend. Her dark hair wrapped around my fingers as her hands dipped low to slide along my hips. The warmth of her breasts against mine, slick with sweat, made my eyes roll back into my head. 

Lips brushed mine, sending sparks through me. I lost track of how many hands slid over me as we let ourselves be moved by the beat of the drums. A head of fiery red hair slid between my legs. If anyone had The Sun in their blood, it was her. Heat like I’d never felt covered my center. I was slick with this new sensation. Everything was new. I allowed my hands to explore the red curls falling over my thighs as she lapped at this wetness. 

Her tongue swirled and flipped, commanding  my entire consciousness to concentrate itself into a tight ball under her mouth. My heartbeat was indistinguishable from the drums reverberating through my body while the throng of bodies ebbed and flowed around us. Hands and tongues battled for purchase on not only my skin, but the bodies surrounding me as well. With each heartbeat the sensations grew, blooming like a flower inside me. 

The last petal curled itself open slowly, releasing a way of delicious convulsions pulsing through my body. The drumming was replaced in my head by the long echoing sound of a great gong. Four strikes rang through the chamber before I returned to my body and realized the sound was not inside my mind. 

Beautiful red curls greeted me when I opened my eyes. Her back was too me, but I knew her features would be burned into my memory forever. The gong still echoed its call through the chamber while I got my bearings. Following the gaze of the girls around me, I found myself looking towards the great curtain. The silk parted slowly, revealing the High Priestess. She was resplendent in gold silks that crossed over her body, bearing just one breast before wrapping low on her hip. The bright red feathers of her headdress spoke of fire. 

“Sunbrides! Chosen for your grace, strength, and honor from the twelve tribes of our kingdom, we are blessed by your presence.” She greeted us with arms raised over her head in reverence. “May your addition to the palace grant us ten more years of peace, prosperity, and protection.” As one we raised our hands over our own heads, fingertips joined together in a circle, offering the sign of our people. 

With another loud bang of the gong we were ushered through the grand curtain, into a steep curving hall. Up and up the dark hall curved in a spiral for what could have been hours. Foggy minds and wobbly legs made the climb slow. Thankfully the adrenaline still pumping through most of our bodies allowed us to make the climb together. Hand in hand, determined to be bonded in this new sisterhood we found ourselves in. 

Heat crept into the long hall the higher we ascended. Soon, light could be seen filtering through the darkness. Excited gasps began to float through the group. Whispered wishes for what The Sun would be like came from all around. 

Soon I would be meeting The Sun. Finally knowing what it truly meant to be a Sunbride. Back home I hadn’t even begun to consider becoming any kind of bride, much less this. A small pang of homesickness sprang up in my heart when I realized that I may never be allowed to see my family again. I never said goodbye. Tears further blurred my vision as I finally stepped into the light. 

Tatianna's soft hands and gentle smile pulled me out of my moping. With a squeal of delight I wrapped my arms around her. It felt like a lifetime since she had left me in the bathing room. And though I had only just met her, she already felt like an old friend. Seeing her reminded me that this was a good thing. A great honor! My family is proud to have me here. My position will secure a good life for them. I know that now. Within minutes all the girls were reunited with their attendants and led into the light. 

We had reached a high peak of the sacred mountain. The view of the kingdom was breathtaking. Tilting my face towards the high sun, I allowed the dry warmth to soak into my body. Without prompting we formed a line on the peak near a large stone. 

“Sunbrides! Your King, your groom, The Sun, awaits you!” The High Priestess cried from the head of the line. One by one, each Sunbride began to disappear beyond my sight behind the giant obsidian stone. 

Anticipation became excitement the closer I came to the stone. A new life was waiting for me. Luxury I could hardly imagine. A life without poverty or fear. My family would be taken care of and our kingdom would flourish with me as a Sunbride. 

Pride swelled in my heart as I rounded the intimidating midnight black stone. Without warning everything changed. The heat alone scorched the inside of my nose on my first and only breath before the fall. The roar of the lava pool swallowed my screams on the descent. 

The Sun, the 10th god, the one living inside the mountain, claimed his bride. Through this pleasing union, my village would be spared his wrath.

June 24, 2023 02:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.