1 comment

Fantasy Fiction

I wouldn’t say I’m a rule breaker per say. A rule bender, definitely, but I’d never purposefully disobey my parents. And I’m bad at it anyway. Dad would be able to hear my racing heartbeat in a second and then I’d be caught and grounded even faster. Which is why I waited until they were both out of the hut for the day. We’ve needed more wood for a new table ever since Mom accidentally broke it climbing to get something from the top shelf, so I knew they’d be gone all day. 


The plan was simple: Wait until Mom and Dad are past the clearing, go out to the woods, get a good, long look at the ocean and come back home. And as long as I don’t get lost or maimed by a werewolf on my way there, my parents will never know. Easy peasy.

I already knew the path by heart. Most everyone in the realm knew about the other territories and where they started and ended. I knew where the path started going into the forest, and I knew where it came out, my only problem was I wasn’t sure where they connected in the middle. The forest was werewolf territory and they had designed it in such a way that only someone who lived there would be able to navigate it. But this was a blue moon opportunity, I would be an idiot to pass it up. 

So, I did what any well-behaved daughter who was breaking the rules for the first time would do, I closed my eyes and ran.

“Oh my god, oh my god, oh my god, oh my god, oh my god”

My feet stopped just before the beginning of the forest and I opened my eyes again. No turning back now.


The first step was the hardest, I mean, no hybrid had ever set foot in the forest since the war ended, but then I took another step, and another, and another and suddenly I was in the middle of the forest. I took a few calming breaths–in through the nose, out through the mouth–and continued walking forward. I don’t know what I was expecting, but it certainly wasn’t this.

Back home, in the clearing, it was always quiet. The only movement being the hybrid families that lived there. But here, it was loud. Birds were chirping and the wind was blowing the leaves in the trees and the grass below me was swaying. This forest was moving, breathing. It was alive. I’d never seen anything like it. I was determined to take in every little detail, who knows if I’d ever get to see this again?


I could see the birds going about their day in the sky, finding food and playing in the trees. They didn’t have territories to avoid, they could go anywhere they wanted. Not that I was jealous of a few birds or anything. But as I watched the robins hop from branch to branch, I found myself wondering why we were so content to keep things the way they used to be. The war against the other mystics had long since ended, wouldn’t it just be easier to tear down the territories and live as a community? None of the other mystics would ever get to see how tall these trees could get. They’d never get to feel how cool the dirt was on their feet or smell the fresh grass mixing with the dew from our last rain. It was truly inspiring how beautiful these woods were, the werewolves had done an amazing job preserving it. How could we have ever stopped ourselves from exploring and experiencing each other's territories? 


But then again, just the thought of sitting next to a seer in school or running next to a werewolf in the rain chilled me to my bones. The stories Dad used to tell me of him and Grandma living in fear every day during the war was not something I wanted to experience for myself.

A cool breeze hit my face and my bangs fell in front of my eyes, and suddenly all those worries floated to the back of my mind. I could smell salt. I was close. 


A surprised chuckle escaped my lips and I was running before I could even tell my legs to start moving. A fox hybrids’ sense of smell was one of the best among all the hybrids, all I needed to do was follow my nose. The smell was getting stronger and I ran faster, my lungs were burning and my chest was getting tight. Some of the lower hanging branches were scratching my arms and snagging my shirt, but I could hear the crashing sound of the water and nothing else mattered. As I ran, I could swear I saw something out of the corner of my eye. It didn’t look like a tree, or an animal of any kind. I probably should’ve been more worried about getting caught. Just because I had been able to avoid running into a werewolf, didn’t mean I couldn’t still encounter a vampire.

Their mansions were just beside the shore, built directly into the cliff sides that overlooked the ocean. But I didn’t see it becoming too much of an issue. It was broad daylight after all, they’d have to be suicidal to be out and about right now. I chalked it up to a guilty hallucination and continued running. I could actually see water now.


Finally. Finally, I was at the point where the forest border and the ocean border met. Grass turned into sand and trees turned into waves. The smell of dirt mixed with the smell of salt and I could feel tears spring to my eyes. My cheeks were starting to hurt I was smiling so hard. It was gorgeous. I stepped closer, wanting to feel the mist of the water hit my face. The sand had been warmed by the sun and the breeze from the waves was cold, giving me goosebumps.

Of course I wasn’t stupid enough to actually reach out and touch the water, the sirens would definitely know I was there if I did that, but that didn’t stop me from getting as close as I could. As I made my way to the water, I took a quick glance at the mansion in the distance. The windows were blocked out and I couldn’t see any movement inside. Figures.


I was able to stop myself once I reached the damp sand, any closer and I’d be in big trouble. The sun was high in the sky and when the waves moved just right, the water looked like crystals. Diamond sparkles hit the top of each wave and each crash sent me to euphoria. My lungs felt clearer than they ever have. I could stay here forever.

I sighed, “Wow” 

“Yeah”


My heart stopped. I spun around so fast I think I gave myself whiplash. There was a girl, maybe a little older than me. I didn’t recognize her. She was staring right back at me, her face mimicking mine. One of her hands was over her mouth and her eyes were wide. I don’t think she meant to say that out loud. I took in her slender, ruby red silk dress, the lace and bows and the little umbrella she was holding that matched. I was in so much trouble, in more ways than one.


“You’re a vampire.”  She swallowed, looking me up and down, “You’re a hybrid.”

Neither of us was moving and suddenly breathing wasn’t so easy anymore. I tried not to blink. Everyone knew vampires were lightning fast, so quick you wouldn’t see them until they were right on top of you.

‘Be logical, Natalie. She can’t attack. You’re in the sun’

That little umbrella wouldn’t do anything to truly protect her.

She squinted at me questioningly, “You’re not supposed to be here.”

I blinked, “Neither are you.”

She nodded subtly and took in a breath. I could see her thinking about something, her eyes kept darting around. She looked at me again, then her own feet, then the water behind us.


She hummed, “It’s ethereal” 

I could see she really meant it, and I couldn’t help but agree. We were both here for the same thing. I turned back around, convinced I wasn’t in any real danger anymore, just in time to see another wave hit the water. It was unlike anything else in this realm.

“My name’s Clarice,” she cleared her throat, “Claire” 

I didn’t turn around to look at her, I could hear her footsteps in the sand getting closer.

“Natalie” 

I saw her stop next to me out of the corner of my eye as she shifted her umbrella in her arms and sighed, “I’m saddened to know that this will never be shared” 


I shrugged, nodding. It was sad. The mystics of this realm were so torn and afraid of breaking the fragile peace we had with each other that they’d never stopped to consider any alternate solution other than banning exploration into other territories. I’d lived my entire childhood being warned of the dangers I’d meet if I ever crossed a border, and I’m sure Claire was the same. So why were we both still here?  

She looked over at me, her gaze burned a hole into my temple, “We should be heading back” 

I turned to look her in the eye. Russet eyes met copper.

“Just a little longer?”

She turned to look back at the water, “Alright, a little longer.”

April 23, 2024 20:01

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Jeremy Stevens
17:36 May 02, 2024

Nicely told story, Taylor.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.