7 comments

Romance Mystery Fantasy

"That makes so much sense, I think. What's a vampire?"

"I don't know exactly, I just know that they are sensitive to the sun and desire blood."

"WHAT!! I NEVER and I mean NEVER desire blood."

"I think that you would be what the world calls a vamp."

"And that is?"

"Some people call vampires a vamp because it is an easier way to say it. But the real meaning for a vamp is a vampire with the teeth and sensitivity to the sun but not the desire to drink blood."

"Hmm, so I am a Vamp or -a better word- MIGHT be a vamp?"

"I think so first let's take a walk."

"Why would I do that? Was I the only one in the conversation we just had?"

"I mean after we put some type of something into something to stop the burn when you step into the sun."

"What do you mean like a shirt or necklace?"

"I was thinking more of a ring."

"So do you know what we will do to the ring?"

"No, but I can look it up, that's what the internet is for."

While he looks it up I go upstairs and order some things for the party. I order some celebratory things like napkins, balloons, and stringers. At least that's what the titles said. I go upstairs and do my hair by putting it in a ponytail. I smile in the mirror and head back downstairs. When I get down stairs Conny has the ring ready for me to wear but there is nothing around him. Not even the computer. Before I left I didn't see one but I just thought he was looking something up.

Weird!

“Here you are! I finished before you came down.”

“Oh, I wanted to know how to do it but thanks.”

“You are very welcome, Carey.”

We head to the door and when I open the door the sun is shining brightly and beautifully. I walk into the sun arms entwined with Conny’s. I don’t feel a stinging sensation or like I might die If I stay in the sun any longer.

“It works, Oh my, it actually works.”

“Yea, I was hoping it would work.”

“Hey, I have a question”

“You can ask me anything.”

“Why didn’t you wait for me?”

“Oh, I just thought it would be faster if I did it without you, I didn’t know you would be upset about it.”

“No! I am not even the closest to close to upset.”

“Well, that was confusing.”

“Sorry!”

“No, it was cute.”

I feel redness rush to my face as I say, “Really, you think so?”

“Of course, I do! I would never lie about how cute you are.” His cheeks redden as he says that.

“Oh my, thanks!”

“Hey, it is what it is.”

“Oh, we can have that party.”

“Okay, let’s do it.” He says enthusiastically.

*********

We are prepping for the party. We have all kinds of things but none of the things I ordered. While I ordered balloons and stringers and napkins we didn’t use any of it. Conny says that people don’t have that at parties. I remember the last party I went to there were balloons and stringers and napkins, so...

People start flooding in not even 30 minutes after we set everything up. There is a dude named Dillion, a dude named Jason, and some girl named Petra. Those are the only ones I remember because they are friends of Conny. I have told my self that I will try to get to know but they are off to them selves thinking about ice cream and coffee, at least I hope that is what they are thinking about.

I go to the kitchen and grab a cup and get sprite out of the refrigerator I then put the cup on the counter and poor the sprite into the cup, I drink some, and then poor the rest of the sprite into the cup. I throw the sprite can away and walk out of the kitchen drinking the sprite.

I am dancing when I feel a tap on my shoulder.

“Hey there.”

I turn around and see who I think is Jason looking at me.

“ Oh, hey! Jason was it?”

“So close, mate. It is the one the only Dillion.”

“Oh my, I’m SO sorry about that.”

“Don’t sweat it it is just a name.”

“It might be but it is your name and I would hate it if someone got me mixed up with someone else, I will not let myself get away with that.”

“Wow, don’t get your hair in a bunch, mate.”

“How and why does that even work? How would one get their hair in a bunch just by worrying about calling someone out of their name?”

He smiles.

“It is my way of saying don’t sweat.”

“That makes no sense neither.”

“Neither?”

“Yep just my way of saying either.”

“Nice flip.”

I looked at him confused.

“Never mind.”

I smile and start back dancing as he walks away. It is just a simple slow dance move but by myself. I stop dancing to go and get another sprite but I am hardly even in the kitchen when Conny takes the cup that’s in my hand out and puts a cup that is in his hand in mine.

“What is this?” I ask, smelling it.

“It’s the beer I bought.”

“I don’t even want to try this.”

He looks confused and says, “You were just drinking it.”

I laugh. “No, I was drinking sprite that I put in a cup.”

“Oh, I am SO sorry I had no idea.”

“It’s okay no trouble.”

“Phew” Conny says as he pretends to swipe sweat off his forehead.

“We should really get these people out of here so we can clean.” I say

“We just started the party, though.” He protests

“We did didn’t we how has it been, oh right 2 hours.”

“Okay, okay. We can evacuate everyone.”

“How is this your choice?” I say with a sort of sneaky laugh

“Right, I forgot we were at your house and not mine.”

“I can tell.”

********

When we are done telling everyone to leave we start to clean.

“We have so much to learn about each other. I swore that you were drinking beer only to learn that you don’t drink.”

“I don’t. I don’t really like trying new things.”

“Yea, you do.”

“How so?”

“You just threw a party at your home, I would say that that is a new thing. A big new thing, don’t you think?”

“You are right, I have a made a big step in my life.”

We laugh together for a bit before it gets quite again. I look at him and smile. He returns the favor, his smile bright. 

“I hope we can be great friends.” I say 

“Me too.” 

Or maybe even more. 

May 14, 2021 22:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

7 comments

Whitney Jones
13:14 May 17, 2021

I love the ending!!!! That was really good! Still, PUNCTUATION! Well done, Harr!!!

Reply

Harr Bear
18:01 May 17, 2021

Leave me and my PUNCTUATION alone, you love the ending then love the book! STOP, telling me how to right I will write how I write, got it! You got it!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Ooooo that ending "or maybe even more" is that some ~romance~ I see there ;) eheheh great story love it

Reply

Harr Bear
13:04 May 17, 2021

HEHE, you know i!! Thank you, thank you much!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Cookie Carla🍪
16:49 May 17, 2021

Ok so in part 1, it was clear that it wasn't so much of a good read but I still liked the plot and concept of the story. This is the same way. I liked the fact that you split it into a series; it added more context to the story. But that's where to good feedback ends. In the beginning of your story, your punctuation could've used a lot of work. For example, in the very first sentence, you said 'I think' and everything before and after these words should've been italicized instead of putting quotation marks around it. It implies that you are...

Reply

Harr Bear
17:52 May 17, 2021

Next book read it but don't respond, nothing but bad energy. I HATE bad energy!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Harr Bear
17:53 May 17, 2021

Why so much bad energy if it's as bad as you saying then why do you so called like it?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.