Title: Finding Purpose

Written in response to: Write a story that includes someone saying, “I feel alive.”... view prompt

0 comments

People of Color

Title: Finding Purpose

Emma had been living her life on autopilot for as long as she could remember. She went to work, came home, ate dinner, watched TV, and went to bed. Rinse and repeat. It wasn't that she didn't enjoy her life, but it felt like something was missing. She had no real passion or purpose. She had always felt like she was just going through the motions.

One day, Emma decided she needed a change. She quit her job, packed up her things, and decided to travel the world. She had always dreamed of exploring new places, experiencing different cultures, and meeting new people. It was scary to leave everything she knew behind, but she felt like it was something she had to do.

As she traveled from country to country, Emma started to feel more and more alive. She tried new foods, learned new languages, and saw some of the most beautiful sights in the world. She met people from all walks of life, each with their own stories and perspectives. For the first time in a long time, Emma felt like she was living, not just existing.

It wasn't all sunshine and rainbows, of course. There were times when Emma felt lonely or lost. There were moments when she missed the familiarity of her old life. But even in those moments, she knew that she was on the right path. She was learning and growing in ways she never could have if she had stayed in her comfort zone.

One day, Emma found herself in a small town in Italy. She had been traveling for months and was starting to feel a bit tired. She decided to take a break from her usual routine of exploring and instead spent the day wandering the streets, people-watching, and enjoying the local cuisine.

As the sun began to set, Emma found herself sitting on a bench in a quiet park. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath, feeling the cool breeze on her skin. When she opened her eyes again, she saw an elderly man sitting on the bench next to her.

"Beautiful, isn't it?" he said, gesturing to the sunset.

Emma smiled. "Yes, it really is."

They sat in silence for a few moments before the man spoke again. "You look like you're on a journey."

Emma was taken aback by the man's perceptiveness. "Yes, I am. I'm traveling the world."

The man nodded. "I envy you. I've always wanted to see the world, but I never had the chance. I've lived in this town my whole life."

Emma was struck by the sadness in the man's voice. "Why didn't you leave?"

The man shrugged. "I suppose I was too scared. I had a good life here, and I didn't want to risk losing it. But now that I'm older, I realize that I've missed out on so much."

They sat in silence again, watching the sunset. Emma felt a sense of kinship with the man, realizing that they were both searching for something.

"I feel alive," she said suddenly, surprising herself.

The man turned to her, a small smile on his face. "That's a good feeling, isn't it?"

Emma nodded, feeling a sense of gratitude for the experience she was having. She realized that she had been searching for this feeling for a long time. She had been searching for a way to connect with the world and with herself. And now, she had found it.

As she got up to leave, the man touched her arm gently. "Take care of yourself, young lady. And don't be afraid to take risks. Life is too short to play it safe."

Emma smiled, feeling grateful for the man's words of wisdom. As she walked away , she felt a renewed sense of purpose. She realized that she didn't want to go back to her old life. She wanted to keep exploring, keep learning, and keep feeling alive.

Over the next few months, Emma continued her travels. She went to places she had never heard of before, tried new foods, and met even more interesting people. She had moments of fear and uncertainty, but she never lost sight of why she had started this journey in the first place.

Eventually, Emma found herself in a small village in Southeast Asia. She had been traveling for almost a year now, and she was starting to feel like it was time to go back home. She had seen so much of the world, and she had learned so much about herself. But she also knew that it was time to figure out what came next.

As she walked through the village, she noticed a group of children playing soccer in a small field. She stopped to watch them, feeling a sense of nostalgia for her own childhood. As she watched, she noticed that the ball they were playing with was old and worn, and the kids were playing without shoes.

Emma knew that she had to do something. She went to the nearest store and bought a new soccer ball and a few pairs of shoes. She then went back to the field and gave the items to the kids, who were overjoyed.

As she watched the kids play, Emma felt a sense of purpose that she had never felt before. She realized that she had always been searching for something, but she had never found it until now. She wanted to help people, to make a difference in the world, even if it was just a small one.

Emma decided to stay in the village for a few weeks, volunteering at a local school and helping out in any way she could. She taught English to the children and helped build a new playground. She also got to know the people in the village, learning about their way of life and their struggles.

One day, as she was walking through the village, she noticed a group of women sitting outside a small shop. They were weaving baskets and selling them to tourists. Emma went over to talk to them, and they invited her to sit down and join them.

As she watched the women work, Emma realized that she had found her calling. She wanted to help these women and others like them, to give them the opportunity to make a living and support their families. She knew that it wouldn't be easy, but she was determined to try.

Over the next few years, Emma worked tirelessly to help the women in the village. She started a cooperative that allowed them to sell their baskets to a wider audience, and she worked with local organizations to provide education and training. She also started a scholarship program for the children in the village, helping them get the education they needed to succeed.

As she watched the women and children thrive, Emma knew that she had found her purpose. She had always been searching for something, and now she had found it. She felt alive in a way that she had never felt before.

Years later, as Emma sat in her office, surrounded by photos of the women and children she had helped, she thought back to that day in the park in Italy. She remembered the words of the old man, and she knew that she had taken his advice to heart. Life was too short to play it safe. She had taken a risk, and it had paid off in ways she could have never imagined.

Emma knew that there would be challenges ahead, but she was ready for them. She had found her purpose, and she knew that it was worth fighting for. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath, feeling the cool breeze on her skin. She whispered to herself, "I feel alive."

March 25, 2023 17:28

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.