1 comment

Fantasy Drama

This is a story that goes along with my novel I'm currently working on, and I encourage you at least know some about Fae and the creatures and people that live in it before you read this. You can find the link to my novel in my author bio. Thanks!!!

"Emily?" Michael put a hand on my shoulder. "Come inside, it's getting late, and cold."

I said nothing, and kept staring out at the ocean from my high balcony, praying that it wouldn't happen. They'd said they would come for me the night before the next eclipse.

The Rising Dawn. I'd defeated their organization years ago when I was just a teenager, but surely there had been some type of insurance plan.

I just hoped what ever they had planned, it wouldn't hurt me, or what was left of it, at least.

The Rising Dawn had taken my father's life, and my brother, Kale, had joined them. I'd had no idea he was disguised, and... Oh, I couldn't even say his name, I was so distraught.

It had been twelve years ago, but I had killed my brother! My twin! The only person in this world who could possibly relate to me!

Now it was just me, my mom, and my sister, Macy.

"Emily, come inside." Michael said. He took my hand and pulled me to my feet and we began to walk to our suites, but I looked back at the setting sun and saw three black shapes coming closer.

"Wait." I said. Michael turned and gasped. He stepped in front of me and drew his sword.

"Go inside, now." Michael said.

"No, Michael." I said, gripping his shoulder. "I am this kingdom's queen. And if I run from our kingdom's criminals, what will everyone think. No, it's my duty."

"Sorry, Emily, but I really think you should go inside." He said.

"Too late." I said. I clutched the gem at my collar bone and said, "gale."

Almost immediately, wind blew back the people of the Rising Dawn.

Directing my magic toward Michael, I blew him into the chamber and closed the door behind him.

"Seal."

I tugged on the doors and smiled when the doors didn't open. I spread my fire colored wings and waited for the Rising Dawn to land. "What do you want with me?" I asked calmly.

"We want nothing, but he does." A woman in a black cloak said. "The Avenger of Avalon."

I felt my face pale. I remembered facing him. A knight towering forty feet tall. Every step he had taken the day of the battle knocked me off my feet and sounded like thunder.

That was the one day I had ever truly been scared. Not for myself, but for my family. My sister had lost part of her wing on the battle field, and she still wasn't able to fly.

I'd cast a spell to send and trap all of the Rising Dawn to the destroyed Ever Realm. They were the realms that had been mostly destroyed during the fight of the Angels and Demons.

I had gone there to collect the artifacts that had saved my life.

After the spell had been cast, I fell into a deep sleep that had stolen three years away from my life.

My mother had decided until I truly died, I should stay in the palace. At last, I woke. There were parties and feasting for weeks. I had a huge, huge birthday party to make up for the one's I'd lost.

Something leapt from behind me and grabbed my hands. Twine was tied around my wrists, digging into my skin.

"Release." I whispered. The door to my chamber burst open and Michael aimed his sword at the faerie behind me.

"Let her go." He demanded. I shook my head.

Just cast a spell! I sent into his head.

What do you think I'm doing? He sent back. I don't know if I can hit them with a spell without hurting you.

Michael, do it. I told him. Macy can be queen. Just get rid of these nuisances, then maybe... just maybe, I can finally rest.

Oh, no! No way! Michael said. I know what you want me to do, but I can't. I'm sworn to protect you-

No, you're sworn to protect the next heir. I thought at him. Which is now Macy. I resign from my position as queen. Once I am gone and this is all over, take my message to the council and tell them it was of my own free will.

Michael, please. I said. My duty is to protect the citizens of Fae. And if we don't do this now, they can keep coming back and will get more chances to do whatever their goal is. Our kingdom will only be truly safe if I am gone. Please.

Tears dotted Michael's cheeks. He knew what he needed to do. But would he truly do it? Would he fulfil my one last wish?

By now, tears were streaming down my cheeks, too. But I have one last wish. I told Michael. Tell Macy that she was the best sister a girl could ask for, and I don't want her to dwell on the past, tell her to live in the future.

He pressed his lips together and nodded. I'm sorry, Emily.

"Obliviate." Michael said. The three people surrounding me disappeared, leaving only sparkles where they'd been standing. "Before you get mad, I'll just say that while its your duty to protect the kingdom, its my duty to protect you."

"Are you okay?" He added.

"Yeah." I said, trying to get my hands out of the ropes.

"Here, let me." He said. I turned away from him. "Oh no." He said. "Emily, this is a bonding rope."

I gasped. A bonding rope could only be taken off by the person who had put it on.

"Reverse." Michael said.

The three appeared again. Michael stepped forward and said. "Whichever one of you put the bonding rope on, you will step forward and take it off."

The middle figure stepped forward and pulled down its hood. I inhaled quickly. It was...

Kale.

June 19, 2021 04:15

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

J.A. Blackmore
04:19 Jun 19, 2021

If you like this, please please please please check out my novel or one of my other short stories!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.