1 comment

Fiction Horror Suspense

Caden pulled up to the house and knew immediately that something was off. Firstly, it was too dark, the girls wouldn’t have gone to bed without a story or a fight or both. Secondly, it was too quiet, Emily barks at any car within a two mile radius of the house even though Caden’s and Evelyn’s cars were the only ones that made the trek up the long driveway. Thirdly, there was that feeling about the place, like a heavy ominous fog loitering around, warning and waiting.

Out of habit, he pulled the keys and pointed it to the door knob. He pocketed the keys and turned the knob and the door gave way obediently. The kitchen was bright, the chili was on the stove in a slow simmer, and the table was set for four, five if he counted Emily, and he did. 

The pantry door was open. “It was probably Him,” Caden thought, “Probably hungry. He always goes for the pork and beans and wine. Loves the high and low quality mix of it. One of the many things we never agreed upon.” Caden stood at the doorway with his eyes closed. His chest rose and fell as he thought, “Damn, has it been that long? Is it really time?”

A faint crackling broke through his meditation. And he knew where to find him. Caden skulked through the hallway and stopped mid way. The metallic smell of iron hit his nose, it was blood, warm and wet. He picked up his pace and opened the door.

The fire smouldered in the fireplace, lighting up the two chairs, the glass end table in between them, the two bottles of wine, and Emily, sleeping soundly by the fire.

A voice called out from one of the chairs. “You’re late. The fire’s almost gone out.”

Caden answered and moved toward Emily, “You didn’t have to do that.” 

“Yes, I did. She never liked me, good judge of character that one. You know as well as I do, she wouldn’t idly sit by with me around. Much too loud for my tastes. I did it quickly though. Probably didn’t feel a thing.”

“She almost looks like she is sleeping.” Caden stroked her fur, even by the fire, it was wrapped in the cold veil of death. “Goodnight, sweet princess. Guardian of house and bone. Thank you for protecting us. I’m sorry I couldn’t return the favor.”

Caden heard the sound of metal on metal behind him. The stranger was scouring the last bits of his provisions. When he had filled the spoon with the last morsel, he lapped it up.

Caden asked petting Emile, “What about Evelyn and the girls?”

The answer echoed in the can, “I sent them away...” He placed the spoon and can down on the end table. “...I’m not a monster. Red or white wine?”

Caden stood up to face the offender. He slumped in the armchair, resting his hand, meeting his gaze, his glasses reflected the light of the fire, and one side of his mouth turned up into a crescent. Caden thought, ‘No matter how many times we reincarnate, different species, different sexes, different beings all together. He always has that smile. It was the worst kind of smile. It was a smile of knowing and of secrets all rolled into one.’ As much as he hated him in this moment, for all his sins, taking away his dog, his family, his peaceful night. Caden forced a smirk back. “I’m not really in the mood for-”

The crescent turned downward and his eyes narrowed, “I didn’t offer the pork and beans because I know you hate the stuff. But this is tradition. I don’t make the rules. Now…. Red OR White, Caden?”

Caden glanced down at Emily, the pool she was laying it was inching its way to the fireplace. He answered, slowly and deliberately, “White, Albert.”

The grin grew longer and wider, “That’s better. Now sit, we have business to discuss.”

Caden sat down in the opposite chair. “Can’t we extend the lifetime of the contest? There hasn’t been enough time!”

“Absolutely not.  Honestly, brother. I do not understand how you can get so emotionally wrapped up in your work. These useless emotions cloud your judgement.”

“Emotions are necessary to make a good decision. They make life worth living, no matter how short. In fact, because it’s short.”

“And that is why you lose so many of these contests. You’re too focused on the small details. There are much larger and more important things to focus on. Why move one when you can move one thousand?”

“Because it always starts with one. Large things are made of small things. Perhaps you need to reconsider your strategies too, brother. The ones I have won, have flourished.” 

“And the ones you lost, imploded. Because you could not accept the more basic natures of these things. These humans are animals. Advanced animals, maybe. But no matter how advanced animals are still animals.”

“But you haven’t seen what these animals have done for each other. Charities, movements, rallies. For the betterment of the species.”

“And you are ignoring what they have done to each other. War, famine, pestilence, coercion. For reasons unbeknownst to the offender themselves. Do you realize how many of these things look to others for ‘self-esteem’?”

“Exactly, they are young. That’s why they deserve more time.”

“They have had the time that the contest has allotted. Don’t be mad at me because you over estimated their abilities and your own.”

(Silence)

“...Now let’s review the terms.”

“Before we even start, I want you to know that everything I did and tried, was to save the world, Able.”

“Just because I went about it in a different way, doesn’t mean I didn’t have the same goal, Cain. Now, the terms of the contest were as follows...” Cain sunk into his chair and drank his glass of white wine. Able unrolled a parchment and began to read the contract aloud.

January 08, 2021 18:32

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Krista Womack
21:34 Jan 13, 2021

Your story is great, I love the ending showing who they truly were and what they had done. It followed well throughout.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.