2 comments

Adventure Coming of Age Sad

Nikki sat in the dimly lit room, surrounded by the shadows of her past. As they reminisced about their childhood the walls seemed to whisper secrets of a life she once thought was perfect. But the truth was unraveling. Nikki glanced at her reflection in the mirror. She saw a young woman who looked strong, but the pain in her eyes revealed a different truth. Kelly saw it too, and she wondered if she appeared the same. Nikki could no longer ignore it. Kelly stood nearby, filled with a mix of pain and determination. They had been through so much together, but today was different. Today, they were making choices for themselves and that was okay.

As they took the first steps toward independence, Nikki felt a sense of hope she hadn't experienced in years. She knew it wouldn't be a smooth path, but she was determined to embrace her dreams and live life on her terms.

Over the following weeks, Nikki and Kelly started taking small steps towards building their new lives. They found a cozy apartment in a quiet neighborhood, far away from where they had grown up. It was a modest place, but it felt like a sanctuary where they could finally breathe freely.

As they settled into their new home, they also began therapy to help them heal from the emotional trauma. They realized that acknowledging the pain, talking about it, and seeking professional help were vital in their journey towards reclaiming their lives.

In the process of healing, they reconnected with their mother, who had been waiting for them with open arms. It wasn't an easy reunion, as there were years of hurt and mistrust to mend. However, their mother's love for them was genuine, and she proved herself to be a supportive ally in their pursuit of healing and independence.

Rose, who had left at a younger age, had missed her sisters dearly and regretted leaving them behind. Rose had felt lost and overwhelmed. She started therapy early and had been thriving in her own way. She had faced her own set of challenges and made her fair share of mistakes, but she had found her truth and strength and the sisters had found each other again.

They had emerged from the shadows of the past, ready to face the world as the strong, independent women they had always been destined to become. And together, they knew they could face whatever challenges lay ahead, knowing they had the strength of each other to carry them through.

One evening, during a family therapy session, the three sisters sat together. Tears streamed down their faces as they let go of the burdens they had carried for so long. Their therapist, Parker guided them through the process of forgiveness, not for anyone's sake but for their own peace of mind. Forgiveness didn't mean excusing behavior; it meant releasing the chains that had been on their emotions and allowing themselves to move forward.

Parker also encouraged them to explore their passions and interests, the things they had suppressed for so long. Nikki had always been a gifted artist, and she started painting again, pouring her emotions onto the canvas. Kelly found solace in writing and started a blog to share her thoughts and experiences, her words were a graceful inspiration to others. Rose was in school to become an adolescent therapist and was flourishing in her mentorship.

Their journey to freedom was not without challenges. They felt the manipulation even from a distance, attempting to regain control over their lives. But Nikki, Kelly, and Rose stood strong together, for the first time in a long time supporting each other through the ups and downs. It was right. Their bond as sisters grew stronger than ever, and they formed an unbreakable support system.

They also found comfort in a circle of friends and family who understood their journey and offered unwavering support. Together they created a nurturing environment that allowed them to heal and grow.

As they rebuilt their lives, they also worked on reaching out to their younger brothers and sister. They couldn't bear the thought of any of them going through the emotional turmoil they had experienced. Through the support of their therapist, they were able to establish regular visits and ensure that they always had a safe haven with them.

Despite the challenges, Kelly, Nikki and Rose found moments of joy and triumph along the way. Nikki's artwork gained recognition, and she held her first art exhibition, sharing her powerful story of resilience through her paintings. Kelly's blog became a source of inspiration for many, and she received messages from readers who found strength in her words. Rose released the burdens of doubt that had always followed her and helped many people along the way.

Their journey wasn't linear, and there were times when they faltered. But they had learned to embrace the setbacks as opportunities for growth. They knew that healing was a process, and they allowed themselves to be gentle and patient with each step they took.

Years passed, and Rose, Nikki and Kelly's lives transformed in ways they had never imagined possible. They were no longer living for approval or searching everywhere for any acceptable drop of love. Instead, they had found self-love and acceptance, and they knew they were enough, just as they were.

Some remain trapped in the same toxic patterns, unable to break free from the cycle. Rose, Nikki and Kelly began to understand that you can’t change people, only how you react. 

And so, they continued to focus on their own well-being, growing into strong, resilient, and compassionate women. Their journey was a testament to the power of healing, the strength of sisterhood, and the importance of breaking free from toxic influences.

In time, they were able to mend broken relationships with some extended family members as well. It was a slow and delicate process, but they believed that love and understanding could eventually bridge the gaps.

As they stood together, looking back at their childhood, Nikki, Rose and Kelly saw their reflections in the mirror again. This time, the pain in their eyes had diminished, replaced by a glimmer of hope and a profound sense of self-assurance.

Their journey to self wasn't just about breaking away from a toxic dynamic; it was about reclaiming their identities and embracing their true selves. They had emerged from the shadows of the past, ready to face the world as the strong, independent women they had always been destined to become. And together, they knew they could face whatever challenges lay ahead, knowing they had the strength and love to carry them through.



July 25, 2023 04:05

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

14:09 Aug 03, 2023

Wow! That was quite an emotional story. I gather this is coming from a place of real life experience and it’s great that you’re utilizing your past as fuel for your writing, it’s a good way to help process it. One piece of constructive criticism I can give is that I’m not entirely sure who the antagonist in your story is. I gather it’s probably the sisters’ parent(s) but we aren’t told which one, specifically what they’ve actually done or even a name. I understand the story is about healing from family trauma but the audience needs to SEE ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mike Rush
22:08 Jul 29, 2023

Uh..,do I greet you as Banana? I have to admit, I chose your piece for reading and response because of your pseudonym. Of course, if that's on your birth certificate, forgive me. I liked these two lines: And together, they knew they could face whatever challenges lay ahead, knowing they had the strength of each other to carry them through. Forgiveness didn't mean excusing behavior; it meant releasing the chains that had been on their emotions and allowing themselves to move forward. I tried to care about the characters in this story, bu...

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.