2 comments

Contemporary Fiction Friendship

Charlie was a software engineer and worked for a large firm. He was usually taciturn, a retiring person and would avoid even eye contact when faced with a crowd. He was a young man and was single though he was friendly with his colleague Irene. Charlie was well read and had even ideas of writing a novel. In this connection he had been introduced to Myrtle who was the executive of a publishing company. She was about the same age as Irene and the two women had known each other. Charlie thought highly of Myrtle.

After they were well acquainted, Charlie broached the subject of his writing a book. He said “Myrtle, I’ve in mind a novel about earth, depleted of resources, being taken over by an interplanetary consortium. Giants from another planet equivalent to Jupiter would come and may be use earth as wasteland for their experiments.”

Myrtle laughed and said “You’ve no hero or heroine! Unless the story is built up with credible characters, besides with those who oppose the moves the hero makes, you won’t be able to write a novel. Remember there are many science fiction writers whose books aren’t popular.”

Charlie was unhappy seeing which Myrtle said “Everyone is nowadays writing books. To succeed you must get a market. I suggest you give up the idea of writing a novel. Instead you could translate some good book in English into the vernacular. I’m sure you could try doing it starting with say a short story.”

He said “You’ve damped my ambition.”

She said “Of course there is the self-publication option. If you think your story will sell you could go into it but I still think you should try translation first. Think it over. I can help you with my suggestions.”

She paused and said “I suppose you’ve heard of the writer whose pen name is Jane.” He nodded. “The firm I work for is releasing the second of Jane’s translations from English on Sunday. We’ve arranged a party the previous day with a colloquium on translation when well-known translators will participate. Actually it will be a party where anyone can express his or her views. You could participate. Your invitation will be on your whatsapp.”

Book events weren’t exactly popular and so Myrtle sent an invitation to Irene as well. The event happened with Myrtle as the moderator. Both Charlie and Irene were present. Irene had doubts about Charlie participating seriously as she knew he was taciturn. That was also Myrtle’s feeling.

At the event, Myrtle said “Our firm is glad to have you invitees participating in this informal meet. Jane whose book is being released tomorrow is also here. Let us give her a big hand.”

Charlie saw Jane standing up and was impressed with her appearance. Involuntarily he brought his hands together to greet her. Jane thanked participants for the gesture. Myrtle then said “We have eminent translator Mr.Naidu besides others of the translation society assembled here. Let us get ready to hear what madam Jane has to say about translating from English to the vernacular in India.”

The mike was passed to Jane who gave her broad views on English as the target language. She then opened the topic for discussion.

Unexpectedly Charlie got up and said “What Madam Jane said was illuminating. English is a tricky language with many words, phrases and idioms which authors freely use in their work. I’ve read the first translation by Jane and the English work from which it was done, and I should say it was very well done.”

A man now got up and said “I’m Naidu....”

Myrtle said “Mr.Naidu is very well known and doesn’t need to introduce himself. Mr.Naidu please continue.”

Naidu said “I’ll refer only to the difficult parts in translation. Take for instance a dowager wanting to create a memorial for her dog on her grounds. Somebody said the most appropriate and simple memorial would be installing a lamp post. How does the translator convey the thought? While it was understood in English it would have been crude to convey the idea in the vernacular.”

Jane said “Very good example. Well cited.”

Charlie said “I wonder how the following event would be translated: A salesman at an up-market motor show was in the Rolls-Royce stall. A man walked up to him and asked the way to take a leak. The man said ‘I’ll lead you there myself. Yours was the first genuine inquiry all day.’”

Naidu said “Translating that would be a lot of trouble. One has to explain about up-market Rolls-Royce and how inquiries would be infrequent to the aristocrat firm. And a term like taking a leak doesn’t exist in the vernacular. We have our own usage: When we say my wife left me, they will ask how much. And again when they say my wife drives me to drink, another may say you’re lucky. I have to walk to the pub. Have to explain a lot haven’t we?”

Charlie said “Yes indeed! A nun went the doctor as she had a non-stop hiccup attack. The doctor said to her ‘You’re pregnant’. The shock stopped her problem. It would require much explanation to convey it in the vernacular.”

Jane was amused and they all had a laugh.

Naidu next said “Using famous fictional characters of the English milieu is difficult. Sherlock Holmes we assume is well-known but to those vernacular readers it only means a block of flats. It has to be explained in full to readers in the vernacular.”

Charlie said “I feel translating sexual content into the vernacular would be a great challenge.”

Jane said “Though India produced the original sex manual KAMASUTRA, we Indians feel shy when introducing sex in our writings. Take for instance this case. An unmarried couple did the inevitable and the woman was in tears. He asked her the reason and she said ‘I’m repentant for having done it twice before marriage’. He says ‘but we did it only once’. She says ‘Aren’t you going to repeat it?’ It would be impossible to put it into the vernacular without being called porn.” She paused and added

“I know a classic like LADY CHATTERLEY’S LOVER can never be translated into the vernacular. Our words will fail!”

After the party, Myrtle said “Charlie you did a great job in getting the party going. Jane was all praise for you.”

A few days later, Irene called Myrtle and said in anger “Your damned event brought Charlie and Jane together. He has dropped me.”

Myrtle was happy. She had herself had an eye on Charlie! Irene said “Let them translate or still better do something else! Jane has quoted the Indian love manual. They will use it to experiment. To hell with them!”

END

May 08, 2021 12:01

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Kay (:
18:19 May 15, 2021

Here are some things that need to be fixed. “Myrtle, I’ve in mind a novel about earth," I've in mind part makes no sense. This should be "I have in mind" He said “You’ve damped my ambition.” This should be "You've dampened my ambition." The title does not need to be in full cap. This story was boring for me, I couldn't really keep up with what is going on. I wrote a story in the same prompt and would appreciate some feedback on it.

Reply

11:43 May 16, 2021

Many thanks for your comments.Your corrections are valid except damped. I had a doubt about its use and consulted Oxford English dictionary while writing, and finding it valid used it.I read your story. It didn't have verve or a theme to make a comment. A line like 'not one present was not singing' I thought was strange. Regards.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.