1 comment

General

'Mama,' Lady Isabel called out from her boudoir, 'may I have the key to Papa's study?'

' Of course, dearest Isabel,' Countess Beatrice replied, ' but why do you need the key to the study? Are you not presently engaged in choosing your gown for the Harvest Ball with Earl Edward as your escort?'

'Mama,' Isabel responded, 'my primary responsibility is presently to the Suffrage Movement. We have serious matters to address in London on Saturday. Suffrage has just been granted, a mere six months ago. Many legal matters remain to be resolved.

 My gown for the Harvest Ball is of little consequence at present.'

At that moment the clip-clop of horses hooves was heard on the avenue leading to Countess Beatrice's, Avon Manor home.

Beatrice was beside herself with excitement. At last, she thought, Isabel has found an appropriate suitor, Earl Edward.

Though well into his middle years and greying extensively at the temples, the Earl still cut quite a dash.

'Mama,' Isabel interrupted Beatrice's reverie. 'I shall be unable to travel to London until I locate this important document.'

Countess Beatrice became concerned, not so much about the missing document as about the possibility that her only daughter might relinquish the opportunity to be in the company of an appropriate suitor, such as Earl Edward. After all, Isabel was approaching her middle years and appropriate suitors were a great deal more difficult to find.

Beatrice ascended the marble staircase.

Entering her daughter's boudoir, she enquired nonchalantly, 'Darling Isabel, how wonderful to be attending the harvest ball in London with Earl Edward. I remember, fondly, how, when I was a young debutante the London Harvest Ball was the highlight of the season. We, young ladies spent many months preparing our ball gowns, choosing autumn colours and wearing seasonal flowers in our hair.'

Just for good measure, she added blithely,' And that's where your father, the Count and I, plighted our troth.'

'Mama, mama,' Isabel answered, in an irritated tone,' ball gowns are of no concern to me at this moment. Nor are suitors.'

'Suitors should be your concern, Isabel. Eminently suitable suitors are rather difficult to find, especially as one approaches one's middle years.' 

'Mama,' Isabel responded, 'suitors are not quite so important as you may wish to believe. The world is changing fast, Mama. Women now have Suffrage. They can make choices they have not been able to make before, even choosing not to have a suitor or indeed a husband. Perhaps they will no longer plight their troth as they once did.'

Mama's countenance displayed shock and disbelief. 'Why, Isabel, the world cannot have changed so much that women do not require to be wooed by suitors, to find husbands to father their children and provide heirs for the estates?'

Before Isabel had time to reply, the doorbell clanged in the entrance hall. Butler Eames's voice resonated in the hall, 'Earl Edward, good evening sir, may I take your coat and hat?'

Countess Beatrice was reassured to hear the exchange taking place between the two men. At least some of life's mores were still in place.

'Thanks, Butler Eames, I trust Lady Isabel is in residence this evening and not too preoccupied with the Suffrage? After all, women are well provided for by their husbands, are they not?'

Butler Eames, quite out of his depth with this conversation, busied himself with household matters.

Countess Beatrice's countenance displayed concern at the comments of Earl Edward. She feared they might alienate her daughter and result in her missing the Autumn Ball and thereby find herself once more without a suitor.

In an attempt to prevent such an outcome, Lady Isabel called out to Earl Edward, 'dearest Edward, how happy we are to receive you this evening. Lady Isabel is putting the finishing touches to her Harvest Ballgown and will soon be ready to accompany you.'

By now Lady Isabel was sitting at the desk in Papa's study, reading some legal papers regarding Suffrage.

'Fiddlesticks,' she murmured to herself,' if only Papa were here to assist me with legal matters. Such a shame he had to travel to Assizes in London a week ago.'

Countess Beatrice was within earshot and a wry smile played around her mouth, as she muttered, 'Another good reason, perhaps, for Isabel to leave for London sooner.'

Earl Edward took a further sip from his glass of brandy as he paced the floor of the reception room.

Countess Beatrice called out to Isabel 'Dorothy recommends wearing the russet and gold satin gown.'

'Mama,' Isabel replied, 'I am not at all obligated to take sartorial advice from my lady's maid, Dot. Any gown will do. I do not require flowers in my hair. Earl Edward and I will be making no more than a brief appearance at the Harvest Ball. I have more urgent matters awaiting.'

Countess Beatrice felt a little less fearful, on hearing that Isabel would attend the ball with Earl Edward. The couple would have an opportunity to become better acquainted. Earl Edward's courtship of Lady Isabel could get underway.

Lady Isabel hurried from the study.

'Mama, I have located the missing document.'

Earl Edward watched as Lady Isabel descended the stairway.

Taking her hand, he kissed it gently.

'How good to see you, Lady Isabel,' he said.

Lady Isabel smiled perfunctorily and brushed past him.

Hurrying towards the hallway, she checked her luggage.

'Eames,' she said, handing him a list,' see to it that all these documents are safely stored in the suitcase.'

'At your service, Lady Isabel,' Eames replied.

Countess Beatrice remarked,' your russet satin dress has been packed together with chrysanthemums for your hair.'

'Mama, perhaps we will not make it to the London Ball,' Isabel remarked.

Earl Edward looked downcast, 'Why not, Lady Isabel?' he enquired, 'It is important for me that I attend the Harvest Ball. It is imperative that I connect with my bankers and landlords. It is also important that I have a young woman on my arm, to signal my intent to enter into Holy Matrimony. It is time to plan for heirs for the estate.'

Countess Beatrice was beside herself with delight at the prospect that Isabel would be chosen by Earl Edward to produce heirs.

Lady Isabel was apoplectic, ' Earl Edward,' she asserted, ' You need heirs for your estate, do you? Perhaps you can find yourself a broodmare to provide such heirs. Breeding is not my role in life.'

With that, Lady Isabel called to Eames, 'Eames, have the carriage prepared to take me to London at first light in the morning. I no longer intend to travel in the same carriage with Earl Edward.'

'At your service, Ma'am,' Eames replied.

With that Earl Edward hurried out the entrance door, slamming it hard behind him.

Countess Beatrice's cheeks were moist with tears.

Lady Isabel smiled to herself as she removed the russet brown, satin gown from her suitcase and positioned it on the chaise longue.

By now darkness had enveloped Avon Manor, illuminated only by a few pale beams of light from a harvest moon.

                     **************************************




 


September 29, 2019 23:32

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Christa Logue
02:06 Oct 11, 2019

You have a clear idea of each of the character's goals. Isabel's dialogue and Beatrice's thoughts are amusing.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.