7 comments

General

A family of 3. Short story by Andrea Duque. Based on a real life story. This is a sweet short story of love, It all started thanks to a fluffy baby who was actually a dog! But before telling you what happened, there is something you need to know. Sometimes in life, angels come to guide us. Sometimes in life, these angels come as friends with 4 legs!

They were friends, good friends, She worked in accounting, he worked in engineering. Her life had a routine, he had no schedule. She didn’t travel, he used to travel the world, and yet with so many differences, they were friends, just good friends. Do you see my point?

No matter how close they were, they never had anything in the middle, they never had anything in common to share, and yet they were meant to be together, but they never knew, they never thought, they never even care. But then, one day, a fussy baby, with soft red hair and a tail with a white tip, came into the picture: She fell in love, He was out of his nerves,

-You got a puppy!- She said -I got a trouble maker- he corrected her, the idea of getting a puppy came to his mind, for some reason without even knowing why, He never had a puppy! He never had a pet! What was wrong with him?

-He is so cute! And he was, indeed, the cutest puppy in the world. His eyes were brown caramel and sweet, his belly was pink and soft, he liked to play all the time, he liked to sleep and he loved to eat, -He eats everything!- He said -his food, my food, my shoes, my plants!- She laughed -I love him already- she came close to the puppy, and gave him a little kiss, feeling his soft hair on her lips, it seemed that the puppy smiled at that moment.

-His name is Miko and now he is staying with me. And for that moment, their life took a break, the 3 of them went outside, it was snowing but it wasn’t cold, they played a lot, Miko made them run, he ate snow and he loved it! They laughed while laying down, watching how Miko was still running, leaving all his paws marked in the snow.

-But you don't have time for a dog- she said suddenly Miko came in that moment and kissed him on his face, she made fun of him -I wanted a dog- He replied after -it will work.

And that was the first memory of Miko together, that will stay in their hearts forever, but the plan was to continue and move on.

Now he couldn’t travel, now he didn’t sleep, now he was running after him every time he got something in his mouth, now he was cleaning his poop, now he was busy with his family of 2.

Meanwhile, her life was surrendered by excel sheets and numbers, she was still working out and enjoying her time in random, but at the end of every night she changed something, at the end of every night she needed to visit them and play, and share, and laugh, it seemed that this little baby was part of her heart,

-I see that you removed your rugs- she said, he frowned -He ate my rugs- Miko jumped on her, he was getting so big, his eyes were shining more than ever, deep down, she wished to spend more time with him, she really wanted to spend more time with both of them.

And so winter became spring, Miko was growing up right next to these 2 human beings. -He lost his first tooth yesterday- He said one day, but she couldn’t hear because Miko was pulling her sweater -He wants to eat this, you got a real trouble maker!

And just like that, without knowing, little by little, their schedule started to get together.

-I got him a toy- she said once -I got him his food- he replied back -Do you want coffee before you go?- She offered -I am ok, but come home tonight

Miko was looking at them, wondering, why their 2 favorite human beings couldn’t see what was there?

Sometimes in life, people need a little push to open their minds, to open their hearts. 

Her favorite moment of the day involved them, his favorite moment of the day involved her, and Miko was just happy eating any of their shoes! Hers, his. Miko didn’t care. Both of them were Miko’s family, therefore, both of their shoes were part of his toys collection. Or so, that’s what Miko believed.

Meanwhile, these 2 friends were getting so used to being together, before they were special, very much special, but spending time with this little one made them realize something, but maybe none of them were brave enough to say it.

It was the first time that they shared something, And this something was making them know, This something was making them feel.

But what was this feeling? why they couldn't see it?

One night at his house, he was looking at her while they were lying down on the couch. Miko was sleeping on her lap. She blushed while feeling his eyes on her. Suddenly the movie just has a weird background that none of them were understanding, her heart was jumping, his hands were sweating.

What was it? And meanwhile Miko was just laying there happy, between his 2 humans, between his family, -I should go- she said, and he knew it was the best thing, but he didn’t want her to leave.

So spring became summer, finally ice creams and sun, finally hot weather and fun! Miko loved summer, he loved to run outside, he loved to see people, everyone was so happy, everyone was playing, running, dancing and laughing.

And the 2 friends were stubborn, they were still just friends with a baby in common.  

Why is it so hard to see love sometimes? Why is it that we are scared to show that we care? This is why, dear reader, you have to put your heart always first, if you feel the love already, why don’t you show?

Miko changed his life for the better, before he was alone in his house, but now he got a trouble maker. He also made him realize that friend that he had: she was beautiful and kind, she loved Miko and she made him laugh all the time.

Miko changed her life for the better, before she was also alone and completely focused on her schedule. Now, she also realized that friend that she had: he was kind and sweet, he was handsome and his heart was big.

And Miko has been just happy, wondering what it would take for them to take a leap of fate.

Summer went away, autumn came with colors and shapes.

-Maybe you could stay tonight- He said -maybe you could stay for a long time-

She got closer to him and Miko jumped right away in between. This is how, without knowing what happened, without realizing how lucky! These 2 friends and a puppy, became part of a family.

A family of 3.

Their story was there, but they didn’t see it until Miko came to them. And this is a magical story of love, it all started with a friend with 4 legs.

Never be afraid, my dear reader, to open your heart and fall in love. Never be afraid, my dear reader, to have a friend in your life that can change it all. Even if this friend eats all your shoes!


The end


May 08, 2020 21:42

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

7 comments

Kathleen March
17:01 May 21, 2020

You say your first language is Spanish? How is it like to write in English? Where does your Spanish come from? Yo también hablo español y gallego. Muchas veces es más fácil usar esas lenguas que el inglés.

Reply

Andrea Duque
12:27 May 22, 2020

Hola! Si hablo espanol, mi mama es de espana y mi papa de Venezuela pero tengo 9 anos en Canada y estudie aqui la universidad, es verdad que es mas facil escribir en espanol pero ultimamente no se porque siento que me puedo expresar mejor en ingles aunque tengo que tener mucho cuidado con la gramatica, es un desafio. How is it for you?? vives en Barcelona? siento que el gallego es muy dificil

Reply

Kathleen March
14:31 May 22, 2020

De qué parte de España? El catalán es la lengua de Barcelona y Cataluña en general. El gallego es la lengua de Galicia, al norte de Portugal. Hablo gallego y hai cosas que suenan mejor en esa lengua, porque mi segunda casa es Santiago de Compostela, mis amigos son gallegos, etc. Casi no uso el español ya, porque traduzco y me comunico con gente de Galiza (Galicia). Vivo en Maine, en la costa. Soy muy afortunada, porque siempre se puede salir para ver el mar o el río en 5 minutos.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kathleen March
15:41 May 19, 2020

Nice tribute to what animals mean, and how much they mean, in our lives.

Reply

Andrea Duque
12:25 May 22, 2020

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jubilee Forbess
14:50 May 19, 2020

This was such a sweet story indeed, Andrea! I read your bio and saw you wanted some feedback so here are my thoughts: - Usually for dialogue it's best to use "" quotation marks around sentences, though the way you did it here is good too if you make sure to start new paragraphs when the speakers change. -Since numbers were important in your story, I'd say you probably need to write those out. (A family of three, four legs...) -Your grammar was really good; you had commas in right places and always punctuated things correctly other than ...

Reply

Andrea Duque
12:25 May 22, 2020

Hi Rhonda, thank you so much for those reviews :D I will follow them! <3

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.