0 comments

Romance

“Yes, I’ll go there right away.” Mike sighed as he hung up the phone and sat down on his chair. He looked at the screen of his laptop for a moment. Its wallpaper was him and Grace, his girlfriend for six years — soon to be his fiancee, hopefully — in an amusement park. Grace was holding a teddy bear Mike won for her. He wanted to keep it for himself since he loves stuffed toys, but his girlfriend doesn’t know that, and he doesn’t plan to ever tell her. In fact, even his closest friends don’t know. Besides from his family, there’s only one person who he shared this soft spot of his with: Astrid.    


Mike closed his laptop shut, grabbed his keys, and went on his way to one of the stores that his family runs. Mike started assisting in their family business at a very young age. On weekends, instead of playing with his friends or just staying at home, he would be at their store, stocking up some new arrivals, running errands, whatever his mother would make him do. Growing up, he and his siblings never really had the liberty to do the things they wanted. It’s probably safe to say that they’ve been robbed of their childhood. 


Most kids would always get excited when holiday season is just around the corner, but Mike isn’t one of them. For him and his family, it’s one of the busiest times of the year. They would have to wake up at around three in the morning, go to their store, and work nonstop. They would also have to close down later than usual. Mike used to always wonder what it might’ve felt like to wake up on Christmas morning with lots of presents under their Christmas tree. All he could ever do was just look at his little brother, Vin. Being the youngest of the three siblings, Vin gets everything he wants. 


It was also a struggle for them to meet up and hang out with their friends because, as their mother would always say, “business comes first.” It even came to a point where their parents stopped attending school events. On Recognition Day, Mike and Sadie would ask for their class advisers to go up onstage with them and wear them their medals instead because their parents are busy with their business. Their little brother’s case, on the other hand, was a whole lot different from theirs. Their parents would always come to school for Vin.


Their parents are rarely affectionate towards Mike and his older sister, Sadie, considering that their grandmother back in China took care of them both when they were toddlers. Meanwhile, Vin receives all the love and care from their parents since day one. It was rather unfair, but Mike and Sadie chose to just shrug it off. 


As he grew older, Mike’s family had had around several businesses. Clothing stores, beach resorts, and condominium units. He was then asked to manage some of them. It wasn’t clearly what he wanted. In fact, he wanted to become a full time professional basketball player. But of course, his family wouldn’t like that. In fact, there’s only one person who truly supported him with his dream: Astrid.


He had been head over heels for Astrid since the start of junior high. Fortunately for Mike, Astrid felt the same way. They’ve been each other’s rock for years. Everybody was rooting for them. But everything went downhill and eventually, he decided to end things with her. Mike didn’t think he would find another girl better than — or at least as good as — Astrid. And that was when Grace came into the picture. 


Grace is a daughter of a prominent businessman that’s very close to their family. She was always asked to tag along with her father during business meetings, and luckily enough, Mike would always be included in those meetings. The two eventually started talking and the rest is history.


Mike smiled as he began thinking about Grace. Would he have met her if he pursued his basketball career? Sure enough, he would meet other girls. But Grace?


Maybe the corporate world isn’t so bad after all. 


Upon arrival, Mike pushed the store door open and was greeted by a cold gust of wind from the air-conditioning unit. He scanned the place and saw one of their most trusted employees, Uncle Jack. Uncle Jack bowed down to him as a way of greeting. Mike still feels uncomfortable whenever someone does that to him. He never felt like he was worthy to be bowed down to. 


“Hey, come on, Uncle Jack. There’s no need to do that, remember?” Mike said. Uncle Jack gave him an apologetic smile. “We’d only get yelled at if we didn’t do it, Sir.”

Mike clenched his teeth and gulped. His mother has always been harsh to their employees; it’s a miracle that they’re still working for them. 


“You won’t, okay? I’ll take care of it.” Mike replied. Uncle Jack’s eyes brightened. “Is she here? My mother, I mean.” 

Uncle Jack nodded and pointed at a door. “She’s been waiting for you for quite some time already, Sir.” He said. Mike shrugged. “I just walked on my way here.” 


Mike looked around. Then he looked at his watch. It was half past six o’clock. He fished out his wallet from his pocket and handed Uncle Jack some cash. Uncle Jack looked at him in confusion. “You can go home now,” Mike said. “I’ll handle everything here from then on. Buy food for your family and clothes or toys for your children.” 


Uncle Jack took the cash with shaking hands. His eyes glistened with tears yet his mouth showed the biggest grin Mike had ever seen the past few weeks. Uncle Jack thanked him again and again and went on his way. Mike watched as he happily crossed the street and rode a bus. Then he proceeded to the room where his mother was waiting for him.


“What took you so long?” His mother said as Mike entered the room. “Your business partners wouldn’t like it if you were always late.” She continued. Mike took a breath before answering. “I just walked.” 

His mother sighed. “You’re still so helpless.” 


“Why’d you ask for me?” Mike asked. His mother handed him a folder filled with papers. “You might want to look into that.” She said. 

Mike took the folder, opened it, and scanned the papers. “Another partnership?” His mother shrugged. “Mom, you could’ve just asked me to look into this tomorrow.” He said.


“No, I need you to look into that tonight and have it finalized by tomorrow.” She said. Mike furrowed his brows. “Have it finalized?” He repeated. “I haven’t even agreed to do another partnership.” 

“Trust me, you will.” His mother said. 


Mike looked at the papers again. Then he closed the folder. “I’ll discuss it later with Grace.” he said as he went for the door. “With Grace? What for? She has nothing to do with this!” She exclaimed. Mike looked at her like she’d lost her mind. “Mom, she’s my business partner and life partner. She’s going to be my wife soon, might as well include her with all these things.” 


“You’re going to marry that woman? Are you sure?” 


Mike looked at her mother straight in the eye. “Mom, you’ve done this before to Astrid back when we were still dating. She’s always been so nice to you but you just hate her so much for God knows why.” His mother just stood there, appalled.

“I can’t let you do that to Grace. I won’t let you do that ever again.”


Mike put the folder down and stormed out the store without hearing another word from his mother. On his way back home, he smelled a familiar scent. He stopped on his tracks and looked around. 


What the hell?


He could’ve sworn he smelled sampaguita. And there was only one person he knows that wears a perfume with that scent and strength. Mike went several steps back and stood in front of a church. He sighed. “You’re such a fucking dumbass, Mike.” He said to himself. 


Mike then continued on his way home. But the further he got away from the church, the stronger the urge was to go back there and look around. After a few more steps, Mike finally turned and eventually broke into a run. He scanned each pew as he entered the church. He was breathing heavily and his heart was hammering in his chest. 


Note to self: start playing basketball again. 


He wiped his glasses with the sleeve of his polo and wore it back. He scanned the pews for the second time. Nothing. 


Mike clenched his teeth. Then he looked at the crucifix in front. 


Are You playing with me?  


As Mike was about to head back home — for real — he heard a familiar voice that said, “I didn’t know you go to church.” Mike’s eyes widened. He turned around and there she was. 

Mike subtly sniffed and smelled her signature perfume. It was Astrid, no doubt. 


She was wearing a bohemian style outfit. It’s always been one of her favorite styles. Astrid smiled and said, “Hi, Chou.” Mike raised his eyebrows in surprise. “You still remember.” He said. Astrid chuckled. “Of course.”


God, she’s still breathtakingly beautiful.


Back when they were still dating, Astrid would call Mike Chou (丑), which means ugly, and Mike would call her Ai (矮), which means short. Even after they broke up, they would accidentally call each other those names.


Mike smiled back. “It’s nice to see you again, Ai.” He said. He then looked around. “You came here alone?” He asked. Astrid nodded. “Yeah, you?”

Mike nodded. “Yeah, I was about to head home from the store, but …” he trailed off. Then he nervously raked his hair with his fingers. “I uh, thought I smelled your perfume.” 


Astrid suppressed her laugh. “I’m surprised you still remember the scent of it.” She said. Mike shrugged in response. They stood in silence for a few seconds. 


Say something, you idiot. Mike thought.


“Hey,” Mike started. Astrid looked up at him and smiled. “You wanna walk around and chat for a bit?” He offered. 

“I’d love to.”


“You know, I always imagined we would step out of a church together one day, but this wasn’t exactly what I had in mind.” Astrid said as they went out of the church. Mike smiled sadly. “Me, too.” He said. “Hell, I didn’t even think I’d ever see you again. It’s been, what, fifteen years?”

“Sixteen,” Astrid corrected. Then she looked at Mike and smiled. “Feels like forever, huh?”


After a few more steps, they ended up in a park. Mike watched as Astrid stopped to take in the view. “Say, we never had a date in a park, right?” Astrid started. Mike shook his head. “No,” he said. “Not until now, at least.” 

Astrid looked at him. Mike put his hands in the air. “Just a friendly date, of course.” He added nervously. Astrid laughed. “I know, I know. Calm down.” 


 They walked further into the park and sat on a bench near one of the fountains. “I haven’t heard a single thing from you for sixteen years,” Mike started. “I couldn’t reach you after we…” he trailed off. “You had me worried.” Astrid smiled. “I wanted to make sure that I’m completely okay if we ever meet again.” 

“I hurt you that bad, huh?” Mike smiled sadly. 


Astrid lightly punched his arm. “Not really, I was just too weak to handle all the hurt.” She said. “Astrid, you’re not weak.”

Was,”

“Even then. You’ve always been the stronger one between us.”


Astrid just looked at him. Mike nudged her with his elbow. “Hey, come on. You know I’m right.” Astrid smiled. “Maybe you are.” She mumbled. 

Astrid averted her gaze from Mike for a moment. He could’ve sworn he saw a hint of sadness in her eyes. 


“So, how are you and...Grace?” Astrid asked. Mike shrugged. “Pretty great,” he responded. “I honestly didn’t think we’d come this far.” Then he looked at her. Astrid tilted her head. “What’s wrong?” 

Mike raised his eyebrows. “What?”

“You look like you wanted to say something more. A penny for your thoughts?”


I wish things worked out differently for us. 


Mike shook his head. “Nothing,” he finally said. “I just want to say sorry for what my mom did to you.” Astrid chuckled. “It’s alright. That’s how she really is.”

“I could’ve at least fought for you, you know? For us.” 

“So why didn’t you?” Astrid asked. Mike was appalled to see her with a blank expression on her face. 


Mike looked down. “I’m sorry.” He mumbled. Astrid lightly scoffed. “Sixteen years have passed, and I still don’t get a clear explanation.” 

“Look, I was scared, okay? Even if I fought for you I know she would do everything just to tear us apart.” Mike explained. 


“Well, at least I would know that you tried.” 

Mike didn’t respond. Astrid smiled sadly. “You could’ve tried, you know?”

Mike’s eyes started welling up. He clenched his teeth and composed himself for a moment to make sure his voice wouldn’t crack. “I know,” he closed his eyes and sighed. “I was a coward.”


Another moment of silence. Just then, Astrid’s phone rang. She gave Mike an apologetic smile. Mike nodded and Astrid answered the phone. “Hello? Hey, hun. Yeah, I’m free tomorrow. Great. Okay, can’t wait. Love you, bye.”

Astrid put her phone back in her purse. “That was Drake,” she started. “I met him at a gig.” Mike smiled. “So you’ve been quietly pursuing your dreams.” He said.


Astrid shrugged. “I guess you can say that. You?” Mike shook his head. “It’s too late for that now.”

“Sorry to hear that.”

Mike chuckled. “It’s alright, no big deal.” He looked into her eyes. “Is he treating you right?” He asked. Astrid smiled in an instant. “Always,” she responded. “He’s good for my soul.” 


Mike nodded. “What’s your motto again? The one with a rainbow.” He asked.

“After the rain comes a rainbow?”

“Yeah,” Mike said. “And that rainbow has finally come in your life.”


Astrid smiled. “I could’ve sworn you were the rainbow.” Mike chuckled. “Nah, you’re clearly better off without me.”

Astrid nodded. “We’re better off this way, Chou.”


August 14, 2020 06:01

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.