0 comments

Teens & Young Adult High School Suspense

It all started when I was flipping through the pages of my favorite novel 'Pride and Prejudice' while sitting in a library with stacks of books lined sequentially. I was fully focused on the novel. Darcy and Elizabeth's love story almost made me forget the real world. While I was so into the book, I heard someone approaching from behind.

"Hi! Are you Joseph?" a girl in her brown turtleneck and short skirt asked me.

I turned down the book and replied "Yeah! Do I know you?"

"I'm Kayla. We both went to the music class together in the 5th grade."

"Ohh.. Kayla. I totally didn't recognize you" I was so happy to meet an old friend and I offered her a seat.

"How did you get here?" I asked.

"My Dad is working here. So we had to shift. And guess what? I got admitted into this school."

"That's great." I said.

"Okay then. I've to go. How about having a cup of coffee at 6?" she asked.

"Sure. I'm free." I replied instantly.

"Well then, Tom's Cafe at 6" she notified and disappeared in a nick of time.

What just happened?? Did a girl ask me out? I was eager for the time to pass 6. I could no longer concentrate on the book I was reading. I packed my bag and went home.

Home**

I entered the hall and mom was watching for the 100th time, her favorite show "F.r.i.e.n.d.s". No wonder she named me Joseph. My mom is an innocent woman. She believes everyone. After she got divorced from my Dad, I am her only hope. I didn't want to disturb my mom so I thought of telling her about Kayla some other time.

I set my foot into my room and refreshed myself. I picked the novel from my bag and continued my reading. I'm a Bibliophile. Hours later I realized that I had to get ready to meet her.

I donned my jacket and took off.

Tom's Cafe**

I reached there at 5.55 p.m and was waiting for her. 10 mins later, she was there. She pulled the entrance door and waved me a hand.

"I'm sorry. I got stuck with some work." she said.

"That's okay. What would you like to have?" I asked.

"I'll have a Cafe Latte"

"Two Cafe latte please" I ordered from the waiter.

We talked about many things. Our childhood days, my school days and everything.

"So, how's your mom and dad? ``I asked.

"It's been 5 years since Mom died. She met with an accident and she left me and dad alone. Dad was too depressed for almost 2 years and then we moved on."

I felt sorry for her. I know the pain of losing a parent.

Our latte was received and taking sips at them she said," I'm so glad to meet you here. I knew no one in this city because it's been more than 5 years since I left. "

No problem. I can help you with anything."

I had a great time with her. I admired her personality. Every evening, after school we met near the park and had some time together. We liked each other. Gradually, we fell in love with even knowing it. I was the happiest person on earth when I had her beside me.

A week later..

I and Mom were having breakfast at home. Taking bites at her sandwich she said, "Joe, I want to tell you something. Recently, at the copy place I met a guy and I think I like him. What do you say?"

I was happy for her. Mom was all alone after Dad left her and I had never seen her so happy after she met the guy.

"Mom, I'm happy for you."

"Thank God. I was worried if you wouldn't like it. He's a great man. You would surely like him."

"Mom, I believe you. You would surely choose the right man." I said.

Taking the right moment, I told her about Kayla. She asked me to bring her home and introduce her.

I was excited to introduce Kayla to Mom. Because they are the two most important people in my life. As usual, I met Kayla in the evening and invited her to come home someday. She was too excited.

"Joe, I was thinking the same. I told Dad about you. He wants to meet you too. Why don't we all meet at your home?"

"Yeah. That would do. Save the date for the weekend! "

I got a call from Mom. She asked me to meet her at a restaurant without giving me the reason. I immediately started my way saying goodbye to Kayla.

I reached the restaurant and found Mom sitting with a man.

"Come on, Joe. This is Frank. The man I told you about. He wanted to meet you."

Frank was a white, tall guy with a nice figure. He had a cheerful character. I observed the way he treated Mom with care and love. I had never seen her so happy before. After an hour of fun and happy talks, we reached home.

I knew that Mom was expecting to say something about him. I told her that I really liked him and he's fun. Deep down my heart, I didn't want to ruin her the happiness she deserved. Frank is nice. All these years, Mom struggled a lot to raise me. And now it's time that I should give her happiness.

I also told her about the weekend plan.

It was Sunday and the dinner was ready at the table.

"Mom, Kayla and her Dad could be here any minute" I said tensed.

Few minutes later, the doorbell rang. I opened the door. Kayla stood before me dressed up in blue frock looking angelic. I invited her in.

"Where's your Dad?"

"He's parking the car." She said.

Mom and Kayla started talking and you know what happens when you leave two girls together! I heard footsteps and Frank was at the doorstep.

"Frank, what are you doing here?", Mom asked.

"Joe, He's my Dad." Kayla replied which was according to me, the most unimaginable situation I was caught in.

February 19, 2021 17:37

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.