11 comments

Romance Contemporary

The table was all set: spotless crystal glasses, silverware, a bouquet of gorgeous, unscented pink camellias, and a delicate tablecloth that covered the small round table set in the dim corner of that exclusive restaurant. The waiter noticed the hostess welcoming Mr. Josh Carrigan and his companion. He had made reservations a week in advance and the manager at Locario’s always kept his favorite spot.  As the big man in an expensive suit approached, the waiter lighted the candles just in time to greet the customers.

–Good evening, sir, madam, my name is Matt. Welcome to Locario’s. Tonight, the chef recommends the chicken tikka masala soup and, for the main course…

–Yeah, yeah, I know the specialties –Mr. Carrigan said waving a hand-. Just bring me a bottle of wine and I’ll let you know when we’re ready to order. I believe you kept me an Espectacle 2017, as I asked?

–Allow me to check with our sommelier and I will be right back, sir.

–Take your time, kid –he turned his face towards the woman sitting in front of him. Sheryl looked exquisite in her new navy-blue dress and a subtle gold chain around her neck as a single piece of jewelry–. You look amazing tonight, you know.

–Well, thank you, Josh… By the way, this is a lovely place.

–It’s ok, right? Not anyone gets a table by this time of the year. But you know me… and, hey, they know me too!

She smiled. She thought she was getting to know him. The night seemed perfect so far. The music was neither too loud nor too soft. The table looked delightful. And she anticipated a pleasant evening. It was their third date. She felt attracted to Josh because he looked strong, determined, a man who knew where he wanted to go –and who he wanted to take along with him. He was also quite attractive in an obvious kind of way: he displayed the body type only top executives can afford by hiring a personal trainer and gets enhanced by wearing tailor-made outfits.

–As I was saying –he picked up a conversation that had started in the car, on the way to the restaurant–, Lyon is quite nice, but Paris, ugh, I’ve had enough of Paris already. Nothing new to see there. I’m going strictly on business. Of course, I wouldn’t mind taking you with me; perhaps you may do some shopping and have some fun…

–Your Espectacle del Monsant 2017, sir –said Matt, opening up the bottle. –And here’s the menu for you and the lady…

Sheryl noticed Josh frowning.

–Are you new in the job, kid? –he said, looking straight into the waiter’s eye.

–I… I have been working here for about two months, sir…

–You should know better, then. You are interrupting me as I speak to my date here.

–I apologize, sir. I’ll wait until you request me, sir.

–I know what I’ll have. Take your menu with you, Mark.

–It’s Matt –said Sheryl.

–What? –Josh looked at her as if it was the first time she had ever spoken.

–His name is Matt.

–Who cares? He’s just a waiter and a pretty lousy one if you ask me. Anyway… man! I completely lost track of my thoughts! Damn stupid kid… hey, you, Mark or whatever, come here. I’ll have beetroot and blackberry cured salmon, and potted crab for my date, those as starters. And for our main course…

–Josh, I appreciate it, but I’m a vegetarian…

He laughed.

–You won’t be after trying the crab. As I was saying, bring us that, and the grand aioli.

–Anything else for the lady? –Matt turned to Sheryl, but his eyes remained low. He found her classic beauty overwhelming: her small nose, her perfect cheekbones, and the pixie haircut that provided the perfect frame for her hazel eyes. She saw he was a young boy, younger than he had seemed at first in that uniform. “He’s probably a year or two younger than me”, although his freckles may be to blame for that youthful appearance. He was skinny, quite short, with curly red hair and green eyes, and he was unequivocally and outright intimidated by Josh.

–I’ll have a green salad, please, Matt.

The waiter hurried to the kitchen and she turned to Josh.

–That was completely uncalled for, Josh, that poor guy…

–Forget about him! He’s a loser.

–He’s just doing his job…

–So do I, but I drive a Mercedes, babe! You got to know your strengths and make the right choices. I know what I want in my life. I want to become SEO by the time I’m 35 and retire in a condo in Montecarlo before I turn 50. This guy, he’ll still be waiting tables if they don’t fire him for pissing off the wrong customer.

During the meal, Sheryl looked at Josh, handsome, assertive, so wealthy, and powerful. She heard him speak, yet she was speechless. She had expected the night to be something so different, and now every expectation seemed like a bad joke. At least, it would be over soon. After dessert, Josh went to the restroom and Sheryl raised her eyes to find the waiter.

–Matt, would you please bring the check?

He nodded and managed a faint smile. She saw Josh coming back to his seat with long strides, strong, Hollywood charming, self-confident.

–…I tell you, Sheryl, once you take the business class once, there’s no turning back. So, are you onboard for Paris, then?

–Josh, that’s flattering, but the thing is, I do have a lot of work next week and…

–You know, Sheryl, if it were for me, you could just quit your job like this! –And he snapped his fingers–.  You don’t need that little gig in the magazine after all. Not if you are my girl.

–That’s… not flattering at all, Josh. You’re actually rude!

–Oh, am I? –he said with a cocky side smile.

–I happen to like my job! You can’t just…

–The check, madam –said Matt approaching, and handing a leather booklet to Sheryl.

–Well, when I thought you couldn’t be more inept… what kind of incompetent hands over the check to the woman?

Sheryl smiled at him.

–Sir, she asked for it –said Matt. His voice did not tremble this time.

That’s when she had the hunch. It was going to be a memorable evening after all.

*

–Oh, mommy, you looked so lovely in your white dress.

–Well, thank you, dear!

The little girl stopped by her parents’ portrait once more. She was five years old and, with her hazel eyes, she was the living picture of Sheryl. When the girl picked up the frame, a small, white piece of paper fell to the floor.

–What is that? –asked the girl.

–That… is a restaurant’s bill. I kept it as a reminder of a very special night.

–Really?

–A nice place, Locario’s. Daddy used to work there before you were born. That’s from the first time we ever met.

Sheryl caressed her daughter’s cheek sparkled with freckles and kissed her curly red hair. 

February 19, 2021 03:35

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

11 comments

Josh C
09:11 Feb 26, 2021

Hi Mariana, sorry for the delay in reading. I really liked this story, it was very enjoyable and even though my namesake comes across in a very poor light I thought it flowed quite well. Short and sweet! Was there any particular reason you used em dashes instead of quotation marks? I was a little confused at first reading that.

Reply

17:02 Feb 26, 2021

Good point! I guess I kept the Spanish punctuation. Spanish is my native language, although for Reedsy I make an effort to write original stories in English. I guess this second language will always feel somehow like a borrowed jacket...

Reply

Josh C
00:38 Feb 27, 2021

Interesting, I didn't know you used dashes in Spanish for that purpose. Honestly, you write better in English than half of the native-English speakers I used to work with, so I think you're doing fine!

Reply

01:55 Feb 27, 2021

That's really kind of you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
01:58 Feb 27, 2021

Here you can check them on a short-story from Borges. https://www.zendalibros.com/aleph-cuento-jorge-luis-borges/

Reply

Josh C
11:33 Feb 27, 2021

Thanks, that's interesting!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
17:04 Feb 26, 2021

And sorry about the name! Nothing personal, I really know nobody called Josh. It's an English name for me :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Karen McDermott
20:51 Feb 22, 2021

Hugely enjoyable story, thanks for sharing. I've met a lot of Joshes online and it was good to see one get his comeuppance 😉

Reply

01:21 Feb 23, 2021

Oh, I bet we all did! I'm glad you liked it and I sure hope you find your Matt :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Palak Shah
13:53 Feb 19, 2021

I love the vivid description and title just ties it together perfectly. Good work !!! I hope you will check out some of my stories. Thanks :))

Reply

15:50 Feb 19, 2021

Thanks for your feedback! I Will check them too!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.