1 comment

Fantasy

Saturday dawns hot and humid. Louis throws open the door and pitches forward into the coffee shop. Sweat drips from his face. He takes a deep breath and looks at the time on his phone: 6.05.

"Good morning and welcome, my friend."

His gaze flits about the shop and falls on the big, gleaming, silver coffee machine.

"Good morning to you."

The machine chuckles. “It’s a beautiful day, my friend."

Louis slides his hand under the counter, grabs his apron, and straps it around his skinny frame.

“No doubt about it.”

He tugs at the collar of his crisp back shirt. “Where’s Evie?"

The machine hisses and spits. “That slacker. Where do you think?”

Louis tilts his head and sniffs. A slight whiff of cigarette smoke permeates the air. He leans over the counter and looks towards the back door, wide open.

“Evie?”

She stands oblivious in the sunlight. Wireless headphones wrap around her head. Her long blonde hair swings as she moves back and forth to the music, a cigarette in her left hand.

He sighs inwardly. “Great.”

“You need to find yourself another sweet señorita, my friend.”

Louis frowns. “Knock it off, will you? We're not dating, Okay?”

A clatter diverts his attention, and he looks towards the glass front door.

Struggling outside the door, wearing a tight-lipped expression, is the tiny figure of a woman. She hits the door again with her stick.

The machine sputters. "For pity's sake, what godless person makes such a display at this hour?

Louis shakes his head in disbelief and opens the door, propping it open.

The woman steps inside. He tries to grab her hand, but she waves, dismissing him.

She totters towards a comfy armchair by the window and sits. “Oh, thank goodness,” she says, loosening the leopard-patterned scarf around her neck.

Louis clears his throat.“Good morning. What can I get for you today?”

Her beady eyes slide in his direction. “I thought a fresh cup of coffee would be nice – with milk.”

He smiles and turns towards the coffee machine.

“My friend. I have the perfect drink for this dragon lady, something to overpower her senses - full-bodied and bold.”

“No!”

“Very well, something lighter-bodied and mellow, then?”

“Yes.”

The machine starts with a low hum and then a snap, snap as it begins the process of making coffee. The air is heavy with the moist tang of coffee beans.

Minutes later, Louis lifts his arm and pours the thick, creamy milk into the coffee in the mug.

He hastens toward the woman “Here you go, your coffee.”

She lets out an exasperated sigh. “Oh, thank you.”

The front door swishes open and a young girl walks through the entrance, blue eyes and an easy smile, looking super cool in a loose blue summer dress and matching sandals. She always comes early in the morning, sits in the same seat, and reads her book.

Louis dives behind the counter, brushing his glowing cheeks with his fingers. “Right then, your usual?”

She nods and waits, studying the rows of glazed mugs, long-necked bottles, and tins of soft cookies that line the oak shelves behind the counter.

He shuffles over to the coffee machine.

“My friend, I have seen that soft expression before, you have strong feelings for this girl. You wish for something to open the door to her heart?”

The machine gets to work, humming.

Minutes later, Louis passes the girl a cappuccino. She grasps the cup with both hands, lifts it, and takes a sip. Her mouth curves into a satisfied smile.

“Thank you.”

Louis sighs as he watches her weave between the tables, holding her mug. She sits on the end of the leather-covered seating at the back of the shop and opens her book.

Two young men wander into the shop.

“Evie,” Louis calls out. “I could do with some help here.”

“Won’t be a minute.”

“Slacker.” The machine rumbles.

Louis glares at the machine and then turns toward the men.

“Hi. How can I help you?”

The first man drags his hands through his blonde hair and jerks his head toward the drinks menu on the wall. He is six feet tall and about two inches wide.

“Ryan, what do you want?” he says without looking at his friend.

The other man removes his mirrored sunglasses. His brown hair is matty with sweat. He is picking through the carefully wrapped muffins on display on the counter.

“Don’t know bro – something cold.” The blonde man clears his throat. “Two iced Americano.”

Louis turns to face the machine.

“My friend, I have an exquisite blend for our two miscreants, something with body and structure.”

Louis rolls his eyes. “Shush, will you!”

Minutes later, he tops the espresso with cold water and ice and hands the drinks to the men.

Pausing for a moment, he watches the men squeeze onto the other end of the leather seating at the back of the shop. The girl casts a glance in their direction and returns to her book.

The men begin to talk about football. For a while, they seem to be getting on fine, enjoying their drinks, but then a minor disagreement arises.

Louis steels himself, swallowing his unease.

The blonde man looks up and gazes steadily at Louis “What are you looking at?”

The machine rattles loudly. " My friend, wipe the floor with these miscreants.”

Louis lifts his head. “Don’t worry, I have this situation in hand.”

He strolls over to the men. “I’m sorry, but would you keep your voices down a bit.”

The brown-haired man rises to his feet, his lips curl, and he lets out a throaty laugh.

“Excuse me.” a voice says from behind Louis. He takes two steps back and bumps into the young girl.

“Don’t blame the staff.” the young girl continues, pointing to Louis. “I’m the one who asked him to request you quiet down."

The machine erupts, blasting steam in all directions.

The men look around, wide-eyed, and begin to back towards the door. “Erm - Let’s get out of here.”

"Don't let the door hit you on the way out." The woman calls out, shuffling after them with her stick

The young girl flashes Louis a knowing smile. “They won’t be back for a while.” She picks her book up from the table. “See you soon.”

Before she disappears through the door, she turns toward him and gives him a small wave.

The machine chuckles. “My friend, you have captured her heart.”

Louis stands in the doorway. His face lit up with a wide smile. "I don’t believe it.”

June 16, 2022 19:50

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Arya Dixit
15:13 Jun 19, 2022

I really like the concept of the story. Maybe you can improve on it by adding more visual details like the cafe interiors and more detailed descriptions of the characters? Overall, engaging story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.