242 comments

Fiction Happy

โ€œLyla you have to go to school!โ€


โ€œYes Mom, I know.โ€


Lyla grabbed her shoes from the rack and slipped them on.


It was the middle of July in Los Angeles, California, and Lyla had summer school.


Her parents sent her to summer school because Lyla did not pay attention in class.


At all.


If her teacher was talking about column addition, Lyla would be staring outside and doodling in her notebook about faeries and dragons and witches. If the teacher called her name, Lyla wouldnโ€™t have any idea what to say, because she hadnโ€™t been listening.


Lyla called out, โ€œIโ€™m gonna go now, Mom!โ€


โ€œBye, sweetie!โ€


Lyla slipped on her pink backpack, turned the doorknob, and walked off to school.


Thump thump thump


The sunlight shone on Lylaโ€™s backpack, heating it up while she happily skipped off to summer school. Lyla didnโ€™t care much about school anyway, since she was only in Grade 3. Another reason is that since she didnโ€™t listen to anything at school, Lyla just drew and gazed out the window all day. She didnโ€™t have any friends either, and even if she did, she wouldnโ€™t talk much.ย 


Thump thump thump


Her school came up into sight: Harrowood Elementary School.


As Lyla neared the school, she brought out her trusty sketchbook, which she held onto during the whole day.ย 


โ€œ...Oh hi, Lyla. Having a fun time at summer school?โ€


Hailey, the bully of literally everyone.


Except for her friends, of course.


Hailey and her gang of girls were hanging out at the front doors, ready to taunt anyone that came their way.


โ€œIs little Lyla afraid to talk to the big mean bully?โ€ Hailey teased, breaking out of laughter.


Her friends joined in, the laughing sounding more hesitant.


Lyla kept her head down, not wanting to meet Haileyโ€™s eyes.


She managed to sneak a glance at one of her friends, who stopped giggling and gave her a sympathetic smile.


Lyla just turned around, ignoring the hyena laughter and entered the building.


Bring!


โ€œOkay class, get out youโ€™re workbooks, weโ€™re gonna learn how to write cursive today!โ€ exclaimed Lylaโ€™s teacher, Ms. Hlana.


Lyla didnโ€™t bother to get anything out but her pencil, because she was going to draw.


โ€œLyla, where is your workbook?โ€


โ€œI left it at home.โ€


Ms. Hlana buried her face in her hands. โ€œYou always leave it at home. Remember to bring it tomorrow, okay?โ€


Lyla nodded her head and opened up to a fresh new page in her sketchbook.


The sketchbook had creme coloured pages with tiny little dots on them. The cover was a muted pink, with some unicorns and rainbows.


Lyla didnโ€™t love unicorns, but it was the only notebook that had special paper, so she bought it.


She stared outside, the bright green grass illuminated by the sun, the blades of grass completely still.


Lyla started drawing.


She was pretty good at it too. She drew the grass lit up by the sun, as it was outside, but added faeries flitting around, gnomes helping to cut the grass, even a tiny rainbow in the background amongst it all.


She was just about to grab her coloured pencils when Ms. Hlana interrupted her.


โ€œLyla, could you come up to the board and show the class how to write a cursive โ€˜rโ€™?โ€


Lyla hadnโ€™t been paying attention, as always, but set down her materials and walked up to the Smartboard.


Ms. Hlana handed her a stylus and gestured her to start.


Lyla twirled the stylus around in her hand, trying to make up a way to make the letter โ€˜rโ€™ look like cursive.


She wrote an โ€˜rโ€™ on the board and then added a little swirl at the end.


Lyla looked over to Ms. Hlana, whose brow was furrowed intensely.


โ€œLyla, were you paying attention earlier?โ€


Lyla shook her head slowly, looking over the small summer school class that she was a part of.


Ben, who was the class clown but ended up getting all Dโ€™s, was drawing a picture on his desk.


Annie, who shouted out way too much, was chewing on a giant eraser.


Ula, who seemed like he had a zipper permanently closed over his mouth, was reading a book named โ€˜The Three Little Pigsโ€™.


Fran, who loved science but was awful at everything else, was tapping her pencil on her desk with inconsistent rhythm.


Noor, who was apparently a prodigy at the piano but couldnโ€™t do simple addition, was humming a complicated tune loudly.


And Lyla, who never paid attention in class since she was drawing, received a glare from Ms. Hlana.


โ€œLyla, when will you ever listen?โ€


Lyla shrugged and pranced back to her seat.


Ms. Hlana sighed.


โ€œOkay class, now we will move on to the letter โ€˜jโ€™.โ€


Lyla just continued drawing, adding more and more elements to her drawing until it resembled something out of a picture book.


*


Bring!


โ€œItโ€™s time for recess kids! Donโ€™t forget to go out in a single lineโ€ฆโ€


Kids poured out of the school, the supervisorโ€™s voice getting drowned out until she stopped talking.


Lyla went outside with her sketchbook as normal and walked over to her usual tree.


She settled down in the crevice of a tree root and found the page that she was on before.


Faeries dancing, gnomes cutting, rainbows reaching.


Lyla signed her initials on the bottom right corner: L.B. for Lyla Benett.


Suddenly, the temperature seemed to drop. The blue sky seemed to be tinted with grey, as if a sky giant had just painted grey watercolour over the atmosphere.


Lyla liked that idea.


Everyone in the field stopped playing kickball, tag, or reading their book. It mustโ€™ve dropped 20 degrees, making Lyla shiver a bit.ย 


Hee hee


Lyla heard a sound behind her and spun around quickly.


A little faerie was hovering just at her eye level, with ice-blue wings and pale skin. The faerie covered her mouth with her hands and said,โ€ Hee hee.โ€


Lyla blinked, and the faerie was gone.


*


At home, Lyla was watching the evening news with her parents while drawing another picture.


โ€œA cold snap seems to have grappled LA with its wind. Earlier today, the temperature dropped 23.7 degrees and is continuing to lower. Looks like it could even get to 30 degrees, so be careful out there.โ€


The news anchor winked and the screen faded to black. Lyla waited for it to switch to the next program, but when it didnโ€™t, she realized her dad had turned the TV off.


โ€œCome on Lyla, itโ€™s time for bed!โ€ Her dad said, tickling Lyla under her arms.


After a short fit of giggling, Lyla protested, โ€œBut itโ€™s only 8!โ€


โ€œYes, but now that cold snap is out there to get you, you have to go to bed earlier so it wonโ€™t whisk you away to Wonderland,โ€ Dad said, smiling while hoisting Lyla up onto his shoulders.


โ€œOkay Daddy,โ€ Lyla responded while her dad walked her up the stairs.


But when Lyla went to sleep, she had a feeling that the faerie she saw earlier had something to do with the sudden chills.


*


In the morning, Lyla woke up and was astonished when she looked out her window.


It looked like Wonderland.


Snow was everywhere, with snowmanโ€™s already built and kids sledding down huge mounts of snow with their parents. Little snowflakes continued to fall, some sticking to Lylaโ€™s window.


She peered at the new shapes, with their six sharp edges before they melted into nothingness.ย 


Lyla ran down the stairs and jumped into her dadโ€™s arms unexpectedly.


โ€œThereโ€™s snow outside! When can I go? Will you com-โ€


โ€œWait Lyla, remember, you have school today!โ€ her mom exclaimed from the kitchen, running up to her with her backpack.ย 


Lyla grumbled, wanting to get out in the snow.


โ€œIโ€™ll drive you to school today, thereโ€™s almost a foot of snow out there!โ€ said her mom, hurriedly strapping on her boots.


โ€œIโ€™m so excited for recess!โ€ Lyla exclaimed, took her motherโ€™s hand and stepped out into the snow.


*


โ€œClass, today we were going to practice our cursive, but since there is a lot of snow outside, todayโ€™s a snow day!โ€ Ms. Hlana said.


She was probably gonna say more, but everyone was already outside.


Lyla stared at the endless snowflakes that floated down from the sky, little stars that were drifting down from heaven. Her five classmates were completely engrossed in the snow, along with all their siblings that had come too.ย 


Ben was making a snowman with his sister, making so many jokes that she was going to die of laughter.


Annie was running around with her mom and was screaming about how lovely the snow was.


Ula was building an igloo, probably from all the books he had read during class.


Fran was designing a snow house, because thatโ€™s just Fran.


Noor was with his brother, both of them talking about how they could compose a piece about snow on the piano.


Even Hailey was there with her friends, looking truly happy.


Hee hee


Lyla turned around, and on a mound of snow was the faerie that she had seen yesterday. The faerie fluttered her wings, and several more faeries flew down from the sky, blending into the snowflakes.


โ€œOh my god!โ€ Ben said and ran to the faeries.


โ€œMommy, thereโ€™s faeries! Annie shouted, and started scrambling towards Lyla.


Ula looked up, and whispered, โ€œWow.โ€


Probably the first time Lyla had heard Ula speak.


Fran, Noor and his brother just walked towards Lyla without saying anything, perhaps trying to get there before everyone else.


Ben was first. A faerie landed on his mittens, making his jaw drop. Everyone else had a similar reaction. The first faerie, the one that Lyla had seen yesterday, perched on Lylaโ€™s finger and said,โ€ Hee hee buzz click hee.โ€


Lyla didnโ€™t understand what the faerie said, but she got the gist of it.


Looking at her classmates, Lyla was overwhelmed with delight.


And Lyla was with her faerie, filled with happiness and saved the moment, so she could draw it later.


*

January 16, 2021 21:02

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

242 comments

Aman Fatima
11:12 Mar 01, 2021

Its a lovely story!!! Very nice! :)

Reply

Aman Fatima
07:00 Mar 02, 2021

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Danny -
00:40 Feb 16, 2021

GASPPP AND YOU WERE SAYING THIS WAS A RANDOM IDEA??!!? THE PLOT WAS VERYYY WELL THOUGHT-OUT!!!!!! vejwksjhsjekdbbshshsh I loooooved the descriptions you used, but like...I loved how you described everybody else more.. Like seriously fhkskdjshs, how did you come up with this?!? It's amazinggggg! Lol I really liked the part where Ula first spoke, gave me chills, great job, Amethyst!

Reply

well it was XDDDD thanks!!!! yeah, i just had an idea to do that so that's how that happened lol I came up with it in the SHOWER moral: don't ignore shower ideas XD :D thank you so muchhhh!!!!!!!

Reply

Danny -
00:44 Feb 16, 2021

OHHJJ WHATTTTTT XDD lol I have mine when going to bed... That's so cool :D of courseee :))))

Reply

i should use one of my notebooks to catalogue story ideas . . . *runs to bedroom to find notebook*

Reply

Danny -
00:49 Feb 16, 2021

OhhhhH, do telll...which notebook are you choosing?? lol notebooks are cool...I do that...but mostly to write down weird dreams I get so I can make a story about them later or something XDD

Reply

idk i have one with those flippy sequins that I got for ma bday so ima use that

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

๐Ÿฉ๐Ÿฉ๐Ÿฉ๐Ÿฉ๐Ÿฉ๐Ÿฉ๐Ÿฉ๐Ÿฉ๐Ÿฉ๐Ÿฉ

Reply

ayayyayayay i was about to post a story but the yellow dot popped up XD lol

Reply

omg yayyyyy I wanna read it!! Lol and yeah that's rly relatableXD

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

hiya! would you like to be in a reedsycast story about suerheroes? if so, please fill this out: Superhero's secret identity (can be real or made up): Superhero name: powers: what their uniform looks like: where they are from: their personality: any other notes: thank you!

Reply

hiiiiii YESYESYESYES secret identity: wait whats an identity again superheroe name: The Great Adina powers: flying and mind reading uniform: purple suit with a pocket and rays on the front. from: norway personality: kind, soft, but is veryveryvery aggressive when with enemies notes: hair is brown with purple streak (my trademark) in a ponytail, and wears a yellow bracelet all the time :D

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Amethyst!!!!!!!!!! This was amazing!!! Loved this fairy tale twist story!!! Super creative:DDD I had so much fun yesterday at the game! We should do it again sometime!

Reply

hiiiiiiiiiii thank you, i wanted to make it more interestingg :) yesss it was really fun :D

Reply

:D yeah ofc! ill check it out when school is done :)

Reply

yayy ooh cool, mine is aquamarine, or the grosser one, BLOODSTONE ๐Ÿฅด

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

This was so good!!! Very sweet and uplifting(idk if that's the right word:/)story! This was very well written!! Nice job Amethyst!!

Reply

Thank you! :DDDDD im glad you liked it :) did you have a good break?

Reply

Hehe yea I did:) Definitely feel back up to speed and ready to tackle more stories:)

Reply

yayy ooh :) i was confused because you changed your name, but I checked your bio and I was like OHH XD

Reply

lol yea, I couldnt find a fruit sooooooXD

Reply

oof i didnt notice that it was a vegetable if you want to change it, you could be a tomato! you can stay as a carrot tho, I like this one too :)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kate Reynolds
21:45 Jan 20, 2021

๐Ÿฉ

Reply

Kate Reynolds
22:12 Jan 20, 2021

Nppppp!!!!! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Maya -
16:44 Jan 20, 2021

Iโ€™m doing a science-fiction themed reedsy-cast story and I would like to put you in it if you want. If you want to be in the story, there are just a few questions that I need you to answer. Questions: Alienโ€™s Name (either your name or it could be different): Alienโ€™s size: Alienโ€™s color (can be any color or combination of colors): Alienโ€™s special features (horns, tail, wings, tentacles, fur, scales, fins, etc.): Any other details about their physical appearance: Personality: Alienโ€™s Planet of Origin (can be real or fictional): Any special ab...

Reply

OOH YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS Alien's Name: Aksmuj (ik its weird lol) Alien's size: 4 1/2 feet Alien's colour: a purple at the top fading to a neon orange Alien's special features: little purple dragon wings and orange horns Details: has one eye Personality: humourous, but tries to cheer everyone up when it is exactly NOT the time to do so Alien's Plante of Origin: Famil, the planet of fIrE Special Abilities: can fly (duh) and read minds Other: has a high pitched voice like a mouse squeaking IM SO EXCITEDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Reply

Maya -
16:57 Jan 20, 2021

Me too!!! Thanks for all the detail!!! Btw do you want to play skribble at 2:30 EST?

Reply

np! lemme think, YES I CANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN oof

Reply

Maya -
16:59 Jan 20, 2021

yayyyyyyyyyyyy

Reply

:) oop class is starting cya at skribble!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Maya -
22:54 Jan 19, 2021

I love your name, Coconut!!! :D

Reply

Maya -
22:57 Jan 19, 2021

XDDD

Reply

Maya -
22:59 Jan 19, 2021

Thanks :D

Reply

:D question: should i continue my golden music series? i put it in my bio, but no one answered sooooo could you be my first aNsWeR?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

yessss celeste i need something to put after coconut doe

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Maya -
23:25 Jan 17, 2021

Such a sweet story, Amethyst! Lyla's imaginative, dreamy personality made her the perfect character in a story about faeries and snow in the middle of summer. You did a great job of showing her interests and personality throughout the story. The way you took something ordinary, summer school, and wrote a story involving art and magic was really amazing. You're a talented author, keep writing! :)

Reply

Thanks! I just assumed the summer school thing, cause I've never been to summer school anyways Yay, I will :D

Reply

Maya -
23:53 Jan 17, 2021

Yay! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Maya -
22:51 Jan 17, 2021

๐Ÿฉ๐Ÿฉ๐Ÿฉ๐Ÿฉ๐Ÿฉ

Reply

YAYYYYYYY oof sorry for asking, but could you give me some critique? yay someone else reads ma bio :D

Reply

Maya -
23:13 Jan 17, 2021

Yes, I was just about to do that Lol

Reply

Maya -
23:52 Jan 17, 2021

:D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.