26 comments

Speculative Fiction

The plane between Ellie’s world and wherever she was now had a fuzzy quality. She could see past it, but immaterial grains buzzed across the surface, reminiscent of television static. A moment ago, she’d slid her hand through it, only to snap it back in shock when it didn’t reappear on the other side. She wriggled her fingers to make sure they still worked.


The people directly on the other side of the plane were oblivious to it, so in that sense it reminded her of a two-way mirror. Those people also happened to be her parents. She could see her mum scurrying around their white-tiled kitchen, calling her name. Ellie was relieved she didn’t have to answer, and felt a renewed hot flush of embarrassment at the incident that had caused her to end up here. She wanted to curl up in a ball and cry until there was nothing left of her. At least here she could do that, and no one would disturb her, no one would force her to come downstairs with the pretext of dinner, only to be served with a dollop of excruciating questions.


Her mum was running her fingers through her hair, starting to panic as she’d searched everywhere in the house to no avail. Good. Ellie thought that a day or two of distress might cause them to discover a new-found appreciation for her. Maybe they’d stop trying to lecture her, and maybe they’d finally buy her the new iPhone that she’d been asking for for months. That would wipe the smirk off Sandra Benham’s pretty little face.


Her brain began to torture her by replaying the incident. She’d been walking home from school and, as usual, trying to avoid any of her classmates on the way back. That was tricky in such a small town where hers was the only secondary school and at least a third of the students lived on the council estate between Granby Road and Hove Street. Hope had bubbled up inside her at the sight of No.52 Hove Street; the ivy growing up its front trellis was soothingly familiar. It was small, but it was home. However, the hope scuttled down her trouser leg, and fled as swiftly as it had arrived, at the sound of a shout.


“Oi, Frizzlet!” came the grating drawl of Sandra Benham. “You dropped something.”


She hadn’t dropped anything, she hadn’t dropped anything. She was used to the barb directed at her mane of brown hair; if she could ignore them for thirty seconds, she could shut the door on the world.


“You dropped your knickers for Freddie Flowers!” A screech of derision arose behind her back. “Don’t ignore us, Frizzlet, we know you did. Everyone knows you did. Did you kiss his spotty face?”


“Shut up! I didn’t!” Ellie shrieked over her shoulder. Ahead of her she saw the front door to No.52 opening. No, no, no. Please don’t let her parents see this. Her mum poked her head out from behind the green door. 


“Even your mum knows Frizzlet!” Sandra yelled.


Her mum frowned as Ellie bundled past, struggling to contain the tears in her eyes. It got worse. Her mum stepped outside and confronted Sandra. Ellie stood in the hallway and wanted to die of shame; she’d never hear the end of this.


She caught her reflection in the mirror over the radiator; puffy-eyes peeked out from under her curls and she looked away in disgust. Under her breath she’d muttered to herself, “I wish I could just disappear.” 


The next thing she knew she was here, behind this strange film, looking in on the world. She was sure she’d uttered those words in the past, but this had never happened before. Why now?


She turned away from the window to her home and examined the place in which she was standing. She hadn’t taken it in at first because it was grey and empty. There was no sense of depth, no horizon, only a foggy feeling of nothing. She took a few steps forward. There was no change in the landscape, but the transparent window showing 52 Hove Street moved alongside her.


With nothing better to do she stood and watched her dad flump himself down on the couch, put on the TV and crack open a can of beer. He didn’t appear at all bothered by the apparent absence of his daughter.


“Stop fussing, Jackie,” he said to her mum, “she’s probably ran out the back. She’ll come back when she’s hungry or it gets cold. If she doesn’t then it’s one less mouth to feed.”


Rage ignited like a wildfire through Ellie’s blood. If that’s what he thought then maybe she’d just stay put. She was in no mood to go back to people who didn’t want her anyway.


She heard footsteps, not from the window, but from behind her. She spun around, and saw two figures approaching through the grey. A tall woman in a dark overcoat and top hat was prancing towards her; prancing because she was so spindly that the rise and fall of her legs could be described no other way. Next to her was a boy, who Ellie guessed was a similar age to herself, dressed in a frilly, white frock with a ridiculous pink bow on the top of his short crop of blond hair.


“Hey you, fresh girl!” yelled the boy.


The thin woman elbowed him. “Don’t call her that Tabby, it’ll scare her off.”


Ellie was so startled by the strange appearance of the two newcomers that she forgot her anger.


“Who are you? Where am I?” she asked as they stopped before her.

The woman gave a deep bow, complete with an extravagant flourish of her top hat and a rotten-toothed grin.


“I’m Genevieve, and this is Tabby. We are the forgotten ones. Some call us purgatory travellers or knights of the grey realm-“


“Only you call us that…” The boy interrupted.


“-But most here refer to themselves as The Disappeared,” the woman continued. She extracted a long, bony finger and placed it hard on the centre of Ellie’s ribcage. “You are exactly where you wanted to be.”


“I didn’t want to be anywhere!”


“And that’s precisely where you are. Nowhere.”


Ellie thought that was ludicrous, but she didn’t have a better answer. “So, you wished to disappear as well?” She pointed through her window. “Can you believe my dad is just sitting there, not bothered that I’m missing?”


“Questions, questions, so many questions. We’ll have time. Why don’t we sit?” The woman flicked her streaky grey hair off her shoulder and sat cross-legged.


Ellie tentatively joined her; sitting down when there was no visible floor was entirely disconcerting.


“Of course, we all wished to disappear at one time or another. Some of us more recently, and others long ago. Tabby and I happen to quite like it here, so we stay.”


“Nufin’ to go back for anyway,” Tabby piped in, “family’s long gone and that world was full of spiders.”


A seed of dread began to grow at the back of Ellie’s mind. Sure, she was irritated at her parents, but she’d want to go back at some point, wouldn’t she?


“As for your window,” Genevieve continued, “we can’t see it, just like you can’t see ours.”


“I can get back though, right?”


“Some end up going back, they figure out redemption, forgiveness, blah, blah blah. But,” Genevieve gave a mischievous smile, “from here you can do things you never could back there. I think there might be someone who caused you to step into our little world. Have you ever wished an unfortunate accident on that someone?”


Ellie’s brow furrowed. “Sandra Benham, yes of course, but-”


“Well then, it’s your lucky day! Let me show you how it works.”


Genevieve shifted behind Ellie and sent a long, gangly leg either side of Ellie’s hips.


“Hold out your arms in front of you,” she commanded. Ellie’s heart was pounding, but she obeyed. Genevieve placed her arms on top of Ellie’s, and interlaced their fingers together.


“No one can see or hear you through your window, but you can influence the world by pulling on the fibres of its fabric. Make as if you’re going to pick up an object.”


Ellie saw a jar of peanut butter on the kitchen counter, and reached her arm forward with open palm as if to grab it. The tingle of a million microscopic pinpricks jabbed the skin on the back of her hand, where Genevieve was touching her. It was painful, but scintillating. The jar lifted off the surface and promptly dropped as Ellie gasped.


“That’s incredible!” she whispered, blue eyes wide and staring.


“Yes, isn’t it just?” Genevieve said distantly, as if she were remembering her own first time. “Now, let’s walk. Show me where this Sandra girl lives.”


10 Granby Road was only five minutes from Ellie’s house. As they walked through the grey nothingness, the world through the window moved too. Ellie’s legs felt weak. Countless times she would’ve given anything for revenge on Sandra, but now that the chance had presented itself there was a hard stone in her stomach.


It appeared to be night in Ellie’s world, which Genevieve said would make their plan easier. Her hands guided Ellie’s to pick the lock of the front door, and stopped them from trembling.


“I’m not sure we should be doing this,” said Ellie, “it feels wrong.”


“Remember we aren’t in your world anymore. They can’t see us, so we’re breaking no rules or laws.”


Their vision moved up the stairs of the dark, terraced house with no worry of being heard, since they weren’t really there. They did have to be careful when opening the door to Sandra’s bedroom. Genevieve asked Ellie what this girl had done that had made her to want to disappear.


“She’s always spreading rumours about me, and she bullies me about my hair,” Ellie replied, picturing Sandra’s bitchy face and smug drawl, and feeling herself swell with ire.


“Then why don’t we give her an unexpected haircut?”


Ellie smirked. That felt like a brilliant way to punish Sandra, there’s no way she’d show her face in school with all her hair chopped off, and even if she did, she’d surely be humiliated enough to leave Ellie alone.


They found some scissors in the bathroom and checked that Sandra was fast asleep, before Genevieve helped Ellie ever so delicately snip the golden locks from Sandra’s scalp. 


“There,” Ellie pronounced. She felt like she’d just ingested a helium balloon, light headed and joyous. This new power was a rush. She couldn’t wait to see Sandra’s face in the morning.


“She spread rumours about you too, didn’t she?” Genevieve whispered into her ear. “You could always cut out her tongue.”


“What!” Ellie cried. She shoved Genevieve off and jumped up, backing away from her slowly. “That’s horrible, why would you say that?”


Genevieve shrugged. “Liars should be punished, don’t you think?”


“Not like that!” Ellie looked around her. She suddenly realised she had no real idea who these people were, and their odd appearance, which she’d thought was rustic and charming at first, now felt grimy and cloying. Goosebumps ran down her neck, but there was nowhere to run and hide.


Genevieve seemed to read her mind. “Not many places to go around here.”


Ellie glared at her. “I want to go back,” she murmured. Then, when nothing happened: “I wish to go back home!” she yelled into the grey abyss.


“Not as simple as that. I told you it’s about remorse and the like, you aren’t going to get out of here just because you’re scared.”


Tabby joined in with a grin. “Stuck ‘ere wiv us aren’t you, Frizzy!”


Ellie felt the blood drain from her face. She wasn’t wanted at home. She wasn’t wanted here. She had no choice. She squeezed her eyes shut and shrieked, “I wish I could disappear!”


A wall of silence hit her ears. The noise coming through the window had gone. The sound of Genevieve and Tabby’s breath, which she didn’t even realise she could hear, was gone. She opened her eyes. Blackness. The darkest black she’d ever known. She looked down and couldn’t even see her body. Come to think of it, she couldn’t feel her body either.


So this was it, the void. Here, there was truly nothing; she had finally, completely disappeared. She should feel terrified, but she didn’t. No one could reach her here, no one could trouble her. She had peace, forever.

January 23, 2023 12:25

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

26 comments

Hannah K
21:51 Feb 02, 2023

What an eerie story! It almost sounds like Ellie died and went to some form of hell or purgatory- floating out in a void. Yet eventually, she's at peace with the void. I wonder if something else happened during the bullying incident and she ended up getting killed- or she killed herself. Sounds like she was sad, bitter and isolated in life, and that eternity ended up being a continuation of that. Maybe the entities that tried to get her take revenge were demons? Perhaps in death, she got what she really wanted - to be left alone. Creepy, ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Zack Powell
23:07 Jan 30, 2023

Here I am, reading this and thinking how dark it is (which I love), and I get to the final few paragraphs where Ellie wishes she could disappear again, and I'm like "Oh yes, she just had to say the magic words to go back to her home, that's what was missing," only for this story to take an even darker twist. Be careful what you wish for, right? Genuinely haunting ending. No friends, no family, nobody (or maybe I should say "no body"). It's a tragic story, with some great buildup to sell the ending. From the classmate's relentless bullying t...

Reply

Edward Latham
10:23 Feb 04, 2023

Thanks so much for your comments Zack, it's very impressive how much thought and consideration you give to others' stories! You even summed up one of the dilemmas I had when writing this myself, which was whether to start with the section where she was being bullied by Sandra or not. I'm glad you agree with my decision in the end!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
15:13 Jan 30, 2023

So spooky, the ending definitely gave me chills. I won’t be wishing to disappear myself anytime soon, just in case.

Reply

Edward Latham
10:24 Feb 04, 2023

Haha thanks Elizabeth, I hope you never have to wish to disappear!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rebecca Miles
19:40 Jan 29, 2023

Hi Edward. I always look forward to your stories and this one didn't disappoint. You know I'm one for the details and this line with its strong alliteration and perfect foody verb choice for the decidedly unappetising questions really gets the thumbs up from me. At least here she could do that, and no one would disturb her, no one would force her to come downstairs with the pretext of dinner, only to be served with a dollop of excruciating questions. You write some of the best neo Dickensian characters I know (come back Canky tops!) and Gen...

Reply

Edward Latham
19:34 Jan 30, 2023

Thanks Rebecca, yes I was certainly imagining G&T (excellent designation!) coming from a grimy historical period, and Victorian would be an accurate assessment I'd say. If you say Canky Tops enough times you might summon him back haha! Funnily enough I also watched the latest His Dark Materials season recently - this wasn't an intentional play on that, but perhaps it was in my subconscious somewhere. Looking forward to reading your latest story!

Reply

Rebecca Miles
19:23 Jan 31, 2023

Canky Tops! Now he's summoned!😉

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Rabab Zaidi
10:46 Jan 29, 2023

Unexpected !!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Shirley Medhurst
16:05 Jan 26, 2023

Very chilling! A great take on being careful what we wish for…

Reply

Edward Latham
18:53 Jan 30, 2023

Thanks Shirley, appreciate you taking the time to read and hope you enjoyed it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
23:50 Jan 25, 2023

This is a very cool idea, but it's made all the better by that ending! Of course we think she's going to return home, and learn that running away isn't how you solve problems - and that gets totally flipped on us when she goes deeper instead. Very sinister, lovely :) "They can’t see us, so we’re breaking no rules or laws" - I don't think that's how laws work :) I imagine these two constantly screw with people just for kicks, and now I wonder what catastrophes they might be responsible for. A fun read!

Reply

Edward Latham
14:32 Jan 26, 2023

Glad you enjoyed the idea and the sinister ending Michal! Thank goodness that's not how laws work! The warped mind of a Grey Realm Ghost who's gotten away with things for far too long has a different opinion though! It would be fun (and most disturbing) to delve into some of their previous escapades! Thanks for reading, your insights are always a delight and very much appreciated.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Aeris Walker
19:33 Jan 25, 2023

A very cool idea made possible by your well-worded descriptions. This whole concept is so abstract and "frizzy," but your writing made it easy to imagine. These lines made me laugh: “I’m Genevieve, and this is Tabby. We are the forgotten ones. Some call us purgatory travellers or knights of the grey realm-“ “Only you call us that…” The boy interrupted. Well done, and best of luck to you!

Reply

Edward Latham
19:02 Jan 30, 2023

Glad you found the idea interesting and thanks for the feedback Aeris! Genevieve did have a certain artistic license to her view of the world, but I think that makes sense when your world is full of nothing!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Douglas W. Carr
17:07 Jan 25, 2023

Haunting...I enjoyed it.

Reply

Edward Latham
18:54 Jan 30, 2023

Happy to hear Douglas, thanks for taking the time read and for the encouraging feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Francois Kosie
05:15 Jan 25, 2023

Love the story, Edward. Not sure what it reminds me of, but maybe the end of the movie Interstellar minus the happy ending or a little bit like the concept of the backrooms. Quite a fun and surreal concept anyway. And it is too bad Ellie didn't listen to them about the remorse thing. I think it shows how we don't always go down the right path when we only want to reach for quick and easy solutions.

Reply

Edward Latham
12:22 Jan 25, 2023

Thanks Francois! Yes I thought the obvious solution for Ellie in the story was redemption, but I decided to go for a bit of subversion here as I felt the characters and the prompt leant towards it. And you're right I think the message is that if you always want to hide from your problems, you'll eventually lose yourself along the way.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jessica Miller
15:33 Jan 24, 2023

Love this story and love what you did with the ending! It's very haunting! If only Ellie would have had the confidence to believe in herself a bit more instead of slipping down this path...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Lily Finch
15:21 Jan 24, 2023

This was a good way to address the prompt. I enjoyed this story. Perhaps purgatory and then death. Awesome read. Reminds me to be careful what you wish for because when you get it you have to live with it. LF6

Reply

Edward Latham
12:23 Jan 25, 2023

A great take, yes the grey world did remind me of purgatory so that's definitely an appropriate analogy! Thanks for reading and glad you enjoyed.

Reply

Lily Finch
13:33 Jan 25, 2023

:) LF6

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Wendy Kaminski
15:07 Jan 23, 2023

This is very cool, Edward! It felt like an Alice in Wonderland episode. I liked the way you addressed the prompt in the end; that was very unexpected and added to the surreality! Nice. :)

Reply

Edward Latham
12:23 Jan 25, 2023

Thanks Wendy, happy you enjoyed, and thanks for taking the time to comment

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
06:31 Feb 03, 2023

An interesting perspective on how we handle stress in our lives. How many of those we pass each day are there but not there? How many people wish they could disappear, who may not literally disappear, but who cease to live full lives, becoming the equivalent of human wallpaper — ever present but seldom noticed or appreciated? Well written, and thought provoking.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.