0 comments

Urban Fantasy Adventure Fiction

Walking haltingly, I still feel the burn on my head and my face. My abdominal just feel terrible, like an internal blender was placed inside, stirring and it makes me feels nausea.

I had a crutch on my right side. It was always with me. However, I've never felt a mixture of both loves and hate towards it.

I love it because it supports my limbs that act like jelly at this moment; hates it because it made me lose. Vulnerable to save that deer.

‘Useless’ is the word that I keep cursing myself for thousand times.

On the opposite of the street, Ms.Marley was waiting for me over the coffee shop. She was panicked, holding her smartphone after dialing a group of numbers. Then I felt a vibration in my pocket. She might be calling me after found out that I was missing.

My arm was too painful to move, and my throat sore. So I leave it vibrating, approached her as fast as my lame feet could be.

“Ms. Marley, I’m here..” I squeeze out some words from my dry voice.

“Oh, Abbey! Where are you going just now?" The tour guide approaches me with a worried look." Godness! You look terrible! What happens with your face?"

“Just involved in a fight just now. But I think it doesn't matter to my beautiful face.” I smile bitterly.

 "I'm not surprised that the local people were always rude to the tourists. If there is something they treat badly to you, I could complain to the local authority.”

 “Not their fault.” I stopped her. “It’s me that mess up the cult.”

 She rubbed her forehead and treat me as incurable, toking out her phone again. “I should call your sister.”

“Wait..never mine!”

As result, I get those lengthy nagging from my sister.

My sister, Oliver was always worried about me. Although I do not have any memories before the age of five, she had a dilemma of avoiding me came near to the river.

In her say, I was once missing for a few hours. To their terror, someone said that they saw me tripped and fell in the river and never shown up. My family rush in desperate toward the scene, flattered when they found me at the river bank.

I was fortunate to survive from it. Although one of my legs was affected by it.

That's why even travel to Velfals, she would ask someone that trustable to take care of me. Ms. Marley, her high school best friend that works as a tour guide was her best option.

Definitely the description of those cut and wound frightened her. Most importantly, she commented on my sensitive nature again.

Sometimes I felt like an oddball. I do care about something that no one cares about. As a vegan, someone said that I was too philanthropic. But I just don't understand why people could not stand people been killed, however, tolerates for the animal hunting. The sacrificing of a deer for the Deeronus Festival set me to fire, that's why I found myself involved in the fight.

Obviously, I love this place but not the people.

I love Velfals from the bottom of my heart. Never live here throughout my previous life, but I just felt something familiar to me. There is always a river that repeatedly appeared in my dream throughout the years. I figured out it was somewhere at the Velfals therefore this is the reason why I came here.

Oliver used to explain that it was just my anemoia. Perhaps because of this place not like any other place in the city. I would not see any sky scrapper soaring piercing towards the blue sky. I sometimes found myself badly want to live in the forest and escape from any other else.

At the bottom of my heart, I still think that memory means something to me. I hope I would have the chance to solve it in the future.

I left the threatening pain from my limbs far ahead from the mind, dazing under the sky as the travel bus moving towards the next destination—Epyros River.

Until I saw that stunning indigo laying all along the bridge, I was shocked.

 “Wait Abbey, careful of your clutch!”

I losing balance and fall from my seat. Someone stared annoying towards me as I was blocking their path. I apologized to them and encountered Ms. Marley with her disturbing glare.

She approaches me after getting off the bus, her facial expression reminds me of those worried parents lessoning their child.

“You should be more aware of your surrounding.” Even she speaks in a whispered tone, but I still felt her perplexing.

“Sorry.”

“By the way, what makes you so excited about here?” She sounds puzzled.

“I think I've been here before, a long time ago. The feeling was really..” I find myself struggling to search for an appropriate word, “...Nostalgic.”

“That’s impossible, my dear Abbey. Your sister told me that you've never got near to a river, except for THAT ONE."

I know which one that she mentioned. But I remained silent to avoid the continued topic.

“Oliver reminds me that better not bring you near the river. Since you demanded it so just be careful, keep your steps on the bridge.” She demanded.

A mystical smell activates my nerves.

"Alright, only on the bridge," I replied reluctantly.

Then mystical smell activates my nerves.

“Ms. Marley..” I dragged her sleeves, asking, ”What smell is this?”

As a tour guide who has been here for a hundred times, the answer was obvious for her.

"It's fragrant that made Epyros River famous within these recent years, as this phenomena only occur since 16 years ago. They say it’s the blood from the guardian of this forest.”

"The Guardian?"

“There is a story behind it. The Velfal people believe that every forest or rivers has its guardian. And the guardian takes care of every natural creation, avoiding human who enters its territory to hurt them. As human was always cruel towards nature, the guardian would not have any sympathy for the human. That's why sometimes humans get lost in the forest and never returned."

But if the guardian willing to sacrifices themselves for a human. Its body would furnish its origin land; limbs turn into long wine that connects the floating duckweed to the opposite bank. Their blood waters the soil and it will grow a heap of hyacinth. The river would be the best habitat for marine life.

“That’s why we see that extraordinary view over that river. Believe it or not, all of these never existed 16 years ago."

She pointed out a view over the riverbank, I saw what she mentioned. That’s incredible, but I feel gloomy when I see those creations left by the guardian.

“Means that the guardian of this place was.. ‘dead’?” I asked carefully.

It was a sorrow story for me, as a highly sensitive person. I don’t mind how others think about this story but it really bothers me.

“Um, ‘dead’ is not a good word, ‘sublimated’ instead.” Ms. Marley corrected my words. “However, although it was just a rumor, it's better not to get near the forest. “

“Okay, then.”

I head to the river, listening to its sizzling along with my ear. It just like encountering a place I lost long, long ago.

I had a weird feeling towards this river. The smells that comforting, like an aroma that tranquilizes our mind. The flowing water was as clear as crystal, I waved towards the marine bottom of it as they swim lively.

I was surprised of this place makes me feel like—

I was home. I could not deny this wired feeling.

“Over here, this path is for the shortcut.” Someone suggested.

The whole surrounding was quiet, I quite annoyed someone breaks this serenity. Squeezing my eyebrow, I turn my head over the direction of the sound.

And I saw someone approaching that forest. They were out of the bridge, heading the forest from a walking path created intentionally.

 I remind Ms. Marley's advice.

“Wait, don’t...” I stopped, I don’t think they would listen.

I’m sure that they want something that was not allowed. What do they want to do?

Avoiding Ms. Marley’s attention and I skip through the bridge with some clumsy steps. Minimizing some unnecessary noise, I was trailing behind them.

Stepping away from the bridge, we were now approaching the forest. The river was now just beside me.

To my surprise, I saw all of them carried a big bag. They're a big bump on it and I could vaguely figure out what are these.

Some equipment such as bow, hunting gun, ropes, etc.

"This time, we were going to catch some spiritual animals." One of the rogues suggested., I could saw greed in his eyes. "You know, this creature was costly in the black market. Especially the elf."

"Don't they were just creatures in the fairy tales? " Another person questioned. "I think that you just growing up reading bedtime story."

All of them blast into a laugh.

“To your surprised, I was once encountered a unicorn years ago.” That person said proudly. “I saw it in the city of Moco. Then I believe all these extraordinary creatures actually exist."

“So do you caught it? “

“Well, all messed up by a little kid.” He said bitterly.

Another laugh.

These conversations were all in my ears, I felt my fists tight.

If they believe in this kind of thing. Don’t they heard about the rumor?

The rumors were left behind me, I just felt that this rumor doesn't harm me.

But they will, these people will. They would harm my property.

“Stop it! “

I dodge with my clutch. Sometimes my legs really bring trouble for me but my hands wouldn't. I have more strength in my arms as it compensates for my right leg.

“No one going to hurt anything from this forest. Or I’ll fight for it.” I swear.

They turned towards me and finally saw my face. So do I.

Some of the faces seem familiar. When I figured out who was them, I was going to run.

“It’s you again, Lame!” That rogue cursed rudely.

They were those who held the Deeronus Festival and I was fighting yesterday. At this moment, I figured out that I was never, ever fight over them. Although I won the wrestling event once in the Wheelchair Game.

My arms could only help me in the first few minutes of the fight, I get help from my left legs which was able to function well.

However, I was vulnerable after that. Just because they owned equipment and was teamed up, but not me.

As result, I’ve been thrown into the river. From the top of the waterfall.

The cold water splashing my face muted my scream into the background. The momentum in the air squeezing my organs as I would vomit them out.

And I hit a hard, cold surface, then sinking down. Quite surprise that it was the surface of the water, as we always thought of water as hollow, non-solid.

I have been defeated. Allowing the mightly nature buried me within this unknown, yet familiar places.

I don’t feel fear, but just some reluctant to leave my sister.

While I dive deeper, something magical happened.

I was able to breathe!

Surprisingly, my legs function well in the water far more than I expected. I beat the water and it moves me under the water as I was the champion of the swimming event.

I was never taught to learn swimming before, do I?

While thinking, my eyelid turns heavy.

Not because I was drowning, just some sort of feeling like you returning to your own bedroom. That sleepy feeling.

And I defeated for it, I need a good nap.

***

I dig out something, deep, deep in my memory.

It was concealed, now revealed.

Velfal, this was my home. I used to live her far older than a normal person could live.

I was the guardian of the forest, a forest spirit.

I love the serenity of this forest brings me. Those elves were my best friend. We always chasing and playing hide and seek within this forest. We were the creation of this mother nature, as always.

And they told me that I should love this city, love its nature but not the people.

I was disgusted by this thought, strongly disagree if it.

They did not have the right to judge others. The human could enjoy the creation of nature more, just like all of us in the forest could be. They could also love nature, without any difference from us.

I admire the city of Moco. They have a colorful city to living, a bustling nightlife to dazzle. Their street view was stark and scenic. I could feel their love in their life. It's just the difference between whether it's urban or rural.

Perhaps human was not that bad, right?

Thanks for the Mississippi River. It is long and allowed to bring me to any other place as well. I turned into a unicorn and travel along with it. 

That was the first thing that I saw while reaching the riverbank near the city of Moco.

I saw ‘me’.

I currently am a forest spirit. But ‘me’ stand for that little girl Abbey.

She waved at me, a cheeky smile appeared on her face.

It was the first time I saw a human, with a clean, purified soul. Her essence was strong, as I think that its enough to defeat the whole world. 

Most importantly, I felt her love for nature. Those marines underneath the water told me that she was feeding them. As most of them rarely met a person that feeding them without catching, I was pleased for it. 

I thanks the girl, even though she might not understand my language.

Then something flying towards me, I duck.

That little girl was shocked. She shouted towards another side of the riverbank, and I tilted my head towards there.

Three person was holding a stick. That's not the arrow that I was previously, but something bizarre that could spit out something that as powerful as an arrow. Perhaps powerful than an arrow.

As my power was temporarily exhausted during the turning of the unicorn, I was unable to turn invisible at a moment.

A single arrow was unable to hurt me. But they released more arrow as followed. Two, three…Finally one of it piercing through my right thigh, I free my scream in a form of rustle.

At the same time, I still heard the cried from that girl. She was trying to stop them.

They did not give up, more of the flying objects heading me. Fortunately, I was able to avoid most of them. Just mocking, I looked at the wound at my right thigh and get my hypothesis.

Seems that these people were not as skilled as they appeared. I conclude.

Out of sudden, I heard a splash from the river bed, someone cried in desperation. Following a series of splashing within the water surface. That little girl was in the water.

She fell from the platform.

I feel puzzled and glared towards another side. One of the people was in terror, his face turns white, and staring towards that falling figure.

Obviously, he accidentally fires the girl. To my despair, three of them cowardly escape from the scene.

The movement underwater becomes weaker and weaker. Finally, I could feel nothing but just something sinking deeper and deeper under the river bed.

Guilt surrounding me.

I feel grateful for this little girl, but at the same time sorry about her. My existence was the cause of this tragedy.

Not for all, just partially. I figured out why they said human is bad. I doubt it but agreed on it at the same time.

The human was bad, but some of them were good.

So I dive it the water again, and I saw that small figure. Her body remained sinking towards the bed of the river. Her expression was calming, and peaceful.

Let me be you. I said to her.

Assume that you were just a naughty kid that playing around the water, perhaps tripped and fell.

***

So this is my secret, as Abbey.

***

I awake from the scene, found myself again on the riverbank of Epyros.

My full body was soaked with water. Still feeling the irritate burning in my nostril. Seems that I choked a bit.

‘Abby, are you okay? Speak to me!”

Olivia’s face appeared in front of me, it's big and I get a zoom-in image of her terror expression. It’s terrible but I felt pleased to see it again.

“I had just discovered that I could breathe under the water!”  I said in joy. As expected, my shoulder gets beaten up by her fist, gently.

“That’s not funny!”

She almost in tears, so I hugged her. And I heard a whisper in my ears. ”It’s good that you’re okay, my sister.”

"Sorry to make you worried." My eyes go wet. "But I think I discovered where I should go next."

“You had figured out your next job?” She looks surprised.

That was true. I rarely found a passion to stick to.

"Yes, and this time I'm determined for it. Sister."

I’m Abbey, but I found that I’m something else.

A person who could cherish the forest, but could bring inspiration to modern life. Just like the guardian of the forest could do.

I am both.

October 02, 2020 05:01

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.