0 comments

Contemporary Creative Nonfiction Inspirational

A Meal with Not Totally-Strangers 

Is it weird that you're eating with someone you know–but actually is a stranger now to you?

Kia's POV:

We're staring at each other's eyes, measuring each other's gaze to know what will happen next.

"Waiter!"

"Waiter!"

We laughed on our misery. . .we looked so awkward in here. Aldrin and Jace called the waiter simultaneously causing the only one waiter here to abruptly nonplussed.

"Do we really did this...? After years! Where eating here like we're all strangers. . . It's you know–awkward!"

I said turning my eyes to the other side as I laugh. They laugh too.

"Oh come on! Guys don't waste this whole moment! We all know that were busy persons now..."

Strangely, it saddened me. Before we can even afford to go to club parties, but now–as a workaholic woman like me, we don't have that much time for this strange reunion over meal.

I didn't get to count how many minutes have passed before we withdrew our gaze from each other.

"I missed you guys." I emotionally said while looking at them.

"Finally! You said it! We're all waiting for that!" Jace said like she won a big town lottery.

"You two what?" I said confused.

Instead of answering my nonsense question, they neared beside me and hugged my fats- yeah my fats cuz I remembered when we're still in college- they used to hug me but just actually wanted to know if my fats did grew another layer–it's just err.

"I missed the part of our lives. . . the time we're still free to do things without minding what's gonna happen next- actually after this I got a meeting just beside this resto." Jace said as if reminiscing the past we can ever come back.

"We didn't know that after five years that's when we're able to do this reunion over meal that we planned when we graduated college." Aldrin sighed and sat across the table after laughing at me when he realized that my fats just got another more layers after years.

"Well atleast we did it! Congrats to us!"

Jace shouted causing the whole resto in silence. 

I smiled in my inner self cuz like before when we're still students, Jace used to be my thick faced friend.

It's really true that we change a lot after years but a little part of us-the old us is still existing.

 I'm half embarrassed half missing at this moment.

"Congrats to us." I said with low voice.

After minutes of awkward moments we get along like before. Jace called the waiter again and ordered food for us like she used to do. 

I remembered our graduation day-the day when we promised each other that we will do this reunion over meal when we already achieved our life goals. I smiled at the thought. 

5 years ago...

So this is how it feels?

I said as I'm looking at what I'm holding now...i spent many years for what?! A paper and a handshake?! 

Jace and Aldrin looked at me also with the same feels.

"Gosh! I didn't know that my hardships was been paid off for just an hour! Come here guys let's take a picture!" Aldrin said and we all gathered together to take a picture.

We stared at our graduation picture... Jace and Aldrin's smile made me hurt a little after realizing that after this...we won't have a chance to see each other again.

"So after this...what will gonna happen to us?" Jace said while in tears. 

"You guys what do you think? Cuz me? I'm still not sure of what will happen next after this." Aldrin sighed.

"When I was a kid a really thought that after school...the problems ends there...but not actually cuz this is when we really face the problems of life-after school."

I said sighing.

 "Me too." Jace said.

"Me three." Aldrin laughed.

"We owe each other a meal remember that! Even if it will take many years!" Jace happily said as she wiping her tears.

We nodded. Still crying, once more we hugged each other.

Graduation day...you didn't actually graduated to life's problems this is when we start our lives...

Back to reality...

When I saw the glint of happiness in Aldrin's eyes when Jace still remembers his favorite food, I smiled too. When Aldrin still knows that I hated oily foods because of my diet before I scoffed. When we both ate like it was everyday we felt the same feeling–joy cuz in a short time,this reunion, reunited us and after five long years without seeing each other were like strangers knowing each other again over meal.

Five years was not been wasted looking at them now...

We didn't know that this meal–this promise when we're still not successful, will be the key to know exact other again.

Before Aldrin was a kid with no specific idea on what will he do after taking Business Ad even though he doesn't have a talent on marketing, but now he's married, a father of two kids and a wine business CEO! Imagine that?!

Also Jace got her dream job! She was then a public teacher in elementary school but now? She's a flight attendant! Her dream to fly around the world was fulfilled! She is lucky to have a filo pilot boyfriend for 9 months–she proudly boasted.

And me. . .I was before a struggling working student but now I own this resto where we actually eat now. They didn't know that and when I told them that this resto is mine Jace being a dramatic supportive friend of mine she actually cried. She felt proud on me, i was too to myself.

Over a meal we reminsced our happy, sad and embarrassing moments when where still students and cried a little when we realized how far we reached.

I now believe in the quote that– "Dream no small dreams for they have no power to move the hearts of men.” — Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

Cuz looking at us now, we reached what we wanted, we grow apart but actually reunited after years. 

June 27, 2021 09:05

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.