0 comments

Holiday Crime Drama

A lot can happen in just a few hours. Or a few minutes. Or a few seconds.

I got a text from Josh at 7. New plan. Don't meet at the dance. I'll pick you up at 11. I texted back: Okay? What should I plan for? A couple minutes later: A great view, a small hike, and to be a little chilly.

I chuckled and let my parents know. "Where are you guys gonna go?" Mom asked. I shrugged, "Beats me."

******

11 rolled around. I met Josh at his truck and got in. "Where are we going?" I asked. "You'll see." I playfully whacked his arm and turned up the radio. My phone went off. I looked at it. "Who's that?" Josh asked. I deleted the text and stuffed my phone in the side of the door. "Charlie." I turned the radio back up. Josh turned it back down. "What did he want?" "Does it matter?" "Rylie..." "What, Josh? We don't have to talk about him. I don't want him to be a part of my life, I told you that." "I know. Rylie, I'm not worried about you going back to him or anything. But I don't think burying your anger every time he comes up is healthy either." He reached over and put a hand on my cheek. "Ry, I just want you to be happy.....Please....You know you can talk to me about anything." I looked at him and sighed. "He wanted to know why I wasn't coming to the dance and where we were going." "What did you say?" "I didn't say anything. It's none of his business." He took my hand and kissed it. "What?" I asked. He just smiled at me. "I love you." I laughed, "I love you too."

About 20 minutes later, we parked at the bottom of a hill on some backroad. "Alright, we gotta hurry before the fireworks start." he said. We got and made the short little hike up the hill, but were surprised to see someone else there too. "Hey! Whatre ya'll doin here?!" The guy slurred. He was obviously drunk. "Josh, let's go." I said quietly. We started to back up. The drunk pulled a handgun out of the back of his pants and aimed it at us. "I said...whatre ya doin up here?!" He yelled. Josh pushed me behind him. "Easy man, we-we were just comin' up to watch the fireworks." "We? Well she looks a little too pretty to be with you. Let me get a better look at ya girl." "Listen we'll just go, okay?" He cocked the gun. I jumped in front of Josh. "Well....look at you. You wanna see some fireworks sweetheart?" "Not here." "Oh, a wise ass."

A lot can happen in a few minutes...or a few seconds. 10....."We don't want any trouble." I said. 9...... He took a step closer. "You look like trouble." 8...... "Why don't you come a little closer. I'll show ya some fireworks." 7...... "Listen, we'll just go, okay?" Josh said. 6...... "No. I got a better idea." 5...... "You go...she stays." 4...... Josh reached and grabbed my arm. "Sorry, that's not happening." 3...... He pointed the gun at Josh. "Well then I'll just make you leave." 2...... "NO!" I blocked Josh as he pulled the trigger. 1.... Happy New Year.

December 27, 2019 17:57

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.