0 comments

Fiction

I was 14 years old when the first time I seen and fell madly in love with Adeline Fairchild. Even before the most attractive and most popular girl in our freshmen year of high school didn’t know I even existed. I knew right then and there that one day she would eventually be my wife.

It wasn’t until our junior year that she began to notice me. I had grown from 5’5 to 6’3 over the course of one summer and I was the starting quarterback of our Division I high school City Championship that season. She was a cheerleader destined to be titled Miss America one day. Her mother had been grooming her for the title since she was 4 years old.

Her bringing ups reminded me of the actions of JonBenét Patricia Ramsey’s, mother and  what she did to her 4 year old child beauty queen. That is if you actually could see the beauty in an adult looking child. That role is for those baby dolls Barbie and Ken. Even Barbie cheated on him with her Australian baby doll Blaine

In English class I wrote a paper about Marilyn Chambers, the legendary adult movie queen who was the wholesome model on Ivory Snow detergent boxes in the early 1970s when she made her adult movie debut in the X-rated classic flick, “Behind the Green Door. It seems everyone has heard the whisper that the cute little baby on the Ivory Snow box grew up to be porn star Marilyn Chambers. It’s true Chambers does appear on the box, but not as the baby she was the young mother holding the infant. For some odd reason, my mother had me research and write that essay.

Like most child beauties Adeline is pretty and beautiful in which words can’t really quite describe her. Her poise and maturity was well above all of us childlike looking high school juniors.

She was even featured in those magazines such as Teen Vogue Seventeen, American Cheerleader, Twist and Girl’s Life.

She was well on her way in my mind of one day being the most beautiful young lady in the world according to Peoples Magazine.  

Then one lovely autumn day she had her very attractive girlfriend Melody to hand me a note. I was truly flabbergasted as well as mesmerized. The note stated how was my chances of she and I going on a date one day.

When I shared that note with my mother all she could say was. Boy have you lost your mind! That little tart is only trying to increase her popularity by dating the most gifted athlete since NFL great Tom Brady walked the halls of at Junípero Serra High School right here in San Mateo, California.

You should know by now that I‘m a Mama’s boy!

I knew that Miss Adeline wasn’t aware of that when we became an item.

All through the remainder of our high school years she truly believed that being my study bow would give her the much needed celebrity status she craved especially, when I was granted a full scholarship to the University of Michigan like Tom Brady.

As fate or underhanded tactics she was also given a scholarship there as a cheerleader. What she wasn’t totally aware of was that the note giver Melody was madly in love with me.

In the 3 years that I attended college we never engaged in no kind of intimacy. Yet there were many rumors that Adeline wasn’t reluctant to show her affections to many young men on and off campus.

It wasn’t until she came in last place at the 2010 Miss America Beauty Pageant that she realized that her beauty wasn’t all that.

Then when many of the Top Modeling Agencies kindly rejected her such as Elite Model Management, Ford Models, IMG Models and Wilhelmina Models.

I became her claim to fame and her future ticket to stardom, especially when I got drafted in the first round of the NFL. My first signing was for 18.5 million for 4 years with a guarantee signing bonus of 5 million dollars.

She immediately quit school and demanded that we get married. She even lied about her being pregnant. Even against my mother’s ranting and raving animated actions we got married.

Soon after the marriage she told me she had a miscarriage while I was in training camp. We had only had sex one time right before the draft.

I didn’t have the heart to tell Adeline that I had fallen for the girl who gave me the note. All through our high school years as well as those college years I had been secretly involved with her best friend Melody.

I didn’t share that vital information with my mother and best friend that Melody and I were lovers.

We went so far as to alienate ourselves when anyone had any inkling that we were secretly involved with one another.

I can’t say why she and I kept up the farce.

Melody was so more attractive than Adeline and smart.

What no one knew that  when I signed my letter of intent to go to the University of  Michigan. I demanded to the coach and the administration that I would only attend their prestige’s university only if  Melody would receive a full 4 year scholarship.

For some strange reason Melody and my mother got along quite well.

Two years into my fake marriage with Adeline, Melody flipped the script and wanted me to tell her former best friend that I was her man.

I even went to my mother and best friend for some soul searching counseling, in which she adamantly told me that everyone besides your sneaky wife knew that the to of you were in love. Even José Monserrate Feliciano García could see except for your cheating ass at the Crazy Horse Club stripper wife and by the way she’s sleeping with one of your teammates.

I wasn’t shocked by that old news revelation from my daring and demanding mother. The problem wasn’t about her actualities but how could I fix things with Melody, especially when we were having our second child.

After I left my mother’s house in which I purchased for her and one of her many boo’s at a cost of $400,000 that the incantation of: Oh what a tangled web we weave/when first we practice to deceive, constantly plagued my confused mind.

 Most people believe that one liner came from Shakespeare but in truth it came from Sir Walter Scott’s epic poem, Marmion: A Tale of Flodden Field.

I politely and pleadingly asked Melody to just give me a little more time and think about my career as an NFL star, of course she wasn’t hearing or even considering the possibility that if that information leaked out about us, all those commercial endorsement contracts would be cancelled.

Then I tried to explain to Melody what happened to Tiger Woods career when his and the world found that he was a sex addict. She was not listening to my plea.

I shot back to my mother’s house with my tail between my legs and asked her what should I do to fix this perplexing and complicated issue, then out of the clear California smogged up looking sky; she replied, “We know what we are but know not what we may be”.

I tossed my 6 times Pittsburgh Steeler Super Bowl cap in the air and ran out my mother’s house.

I then realized after all those years in my baby Mamma’s boy belief, that my mother and best friend why she would give me a nonsensical quote from Shakespeare in my time of need for some sound advice that actually blew my mind.

I wasn’t really trying to hear mothers analogy on this serious situation that confronted me and Melody.

In the end I couldn’t fix the years of deceit.

Melody moved on and is married to a prominent Chimney Sweeper living in London, England and Adeline is having her second child by another man.

I’m serious when I say if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

What lies behind you and what “lies” in front of you, pales in comparison to what lies inside of you. Huh?

December 04, 2020 11:48

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.