Finding a Magical Portal

Submitted into Contest #38 in response to: Write a story about someone who finds a magical portal in their home. ... view prompt

3 comments

Fantasy

Write a story about someone who finds a magical portal in their home.

Finding a Magical Portal


Chapter One


Charlie Bunker was helping his father move into his new home. It was his third day living in their new home. They had almost fully finished exploring his new home. Charlie, a seven-year-old boy was certainly enjoying this process of helping his dad Cameron. Charlie was on his own now.

“Hey daddy, look here!” Yelled Charlie.

Cameron followed his son’s voice.

And he found that his son Charlie had found a cellar door. It was glowing blue.

“Don’t go in!”, exclaimed Cameron.

Cameron called to police and within five minutes they arrived. They opened the room. At the door was two police officers and a hazmat team. When Cameron opened the door to them, they immediately asked Cameron to show them where this was coming from. Together the Hazmat team, Police, Cameron and Charlie walked to the cellar door. They looked at it. It did not look like radium, or phosphor, or phosphorus, or uranium or plutonium, tonic water, radium, or any of the normal things that they could possibly test for. It was crazy. They went to the car to get the materials. They were prepared for this because Cameron’s phone conversation was very useful, and helpful. Now they were getting quite desperate. They decided to try opening the door WITH gloves and travel through the door together (Cameron, police, hazmat, and Charlie who wouldn’t stop bugging Charlie to go with him).

When they all stepped through, the door shut, and it opened for them a whole new world filled with people playing with massive contraptions that had dinosaurs in it them. From the looks of it, these people who were no ordinary people had created these dinosaurs. They looked liked astronauts, except their suits protected them from being smashed around by these creatures. The environment they created was indestructible by these creatures. They were not able to make a mess either. Among the normal Stegosaurus, T-Rex, Allosaurus, and Triceratops. But these weren’t the ordinary dinosaurs. Just like how chickens are ancestors of dinosaurs. These were chickens alright. But they were super sized chickens. 90 feet in height, and 70 feet in width.

The police stood there in absolute awe. To them it was like being thousands of years in the future and billions or at least hundreds of millions of years in the past simultaneously. They could not believe their eyes.

Charlie’s eye’s widened.

Cameron’s mouth sunk.

The police members experienced fainting spells.

And the Hazmat team had a brief seizure. The entire five-person team. This was so unusual behaviour; no doctor or lawyer could explain it. The probabilities of an entire Hazmat team having brief seizures all at the same time is highly unlikely. Nevertheless, it did happen. All in front of them too. After a few minutes of experiencing this they tried to head back but couldn’t find the escape route or the path back. All they could see are sand dunes. It wasn’t even historically accurate for millions of years ago.

So, they decided to go further and explore like any person would do. They tried talking to people who created these creatures, but they were not responding because they were not able to interact with people of a different kind and from a different space-time continuum. They had entered a whole new planet.

The police started shooting at the T-Rex because they were most afraid of them.

Bang! Bang! Bang!

Nothing. Absolutely nothing happened.

The T-Rex’s remained upright. They barely took a scratch, only just a small bullet hole. They weren’t going to bleed to death from that. The hazmat threw some of the materials they had. Only some funny smells went straight to their noses and infiltrated it. It wasn’t supposed to smell sweet and strong. But it was to them. They went charging at them, but only because they wanted more.

RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Said Cameron.

Naturally they were already doing that because for them it was natural reaction. Charles bent down and picked up a great white stone, the biggest one he could lift and find. He threw it at the Rex. Boom. The Rex roared and despite being a slow being a slow-moving dinosaur sped up to their top speed, which was still laughably slow, however, still it had caught up to Charlie and picked him up of the ground. He tossed him and started licking and kissing him.

“Dad! He’s friendly!” Charlie screamed out.

Cameron, the police and the Hazmat team stopped in their tracks immediately and turned around to face them.

The police officer Carter said, “hey what would you know. Your little boy is right. The Rex likes him.”

They kept staring at the great dinosaur.

“Now I feel terrible for hurting him right now or even trying to hurt him” said Colin a Hazmat team-member.

The tossing continued for a good ten minutes. It felt like a million years seeing the dinosaur. They talked among themselves and they decided to name the cute dinosaur. They agreed to name the dinosaur Clinton. Eventually, Clinton put the Charlie down and put him into Cameron’s hand’s gently like nothing ever happened. Then Clinton bent in a way to show Cameron and the rest of the team how his bullet wound. He used his claws to do this.

“It seems like Clinton wants us to attend to his bullet wound needs”, said Cyrus the second of the two police officers said.

Together they went searching for something, anything. Cassidy, one of the five hazmat team-members grabbed the closest leaves and pressed it in with strong pressure. However, Clive the third hazmat team-member ran over and found a few band aids from the table that one of these human-like creatures had on their table. Clive replaced the dumb leaves that Cassidy had put on Clinton’s hole, but before doing this he put realized that they were near water, an ocean or a sea, or a river. It was a body of water, but he couldn’t tell what type of body of water, and he didn’t care. Not one bit. He just wanted to help the poor little guy. Ya he still thought of him as a little guy despite him being much bigger than him. He saw his heart and he touched him. So, Clive really wanted to help him out, just like a good Samaritan. He said, “that will help a little, but it cannot help too much. We cannot help him that much.”

Clive and the rest of the team wanted to continue their journey on their around this mysterious island. But no matter how much the team tried to travel alone, especially since they only have so much in resources. However, Clinton wanted to be their dinosaur friend. He wanted to follow them wherever they wanted to go. And that’s all he did. Follow, and follow and follow. They all kept saying “shoo”, especially Caleb, also one of the hazmat-team-members. Conard the last of the hazmat team-members said, “awe let him join us.”

Together, they discussed it as a team, and they decided to let Clinton follow them and join in with them on the long journey.

Chapter Two


Moments later that many T-Rex’s approached them angrily and went down toward them to crush them. They were roaring loudly. Several bent down to and swiped at them. They spread out quickly dodging the claws and even tails. These mean T-Rex’s tried together again to kill them by swiping at them with their tails, claws and even tried using their skulls to crush them. Then seeing from a distance that there was a major fight going on against human beings and against one small t-Rex (Clinton) a herd of Stegosaurus, Triceratops, Giant Chickens, and Allosaurus, Brontosaurs came to help, running to the rescue.

In the battle that they were in, there were three sizes of t-Rex's, the small, medium, and large. The giant chickens started to sneak up on the smallest t-Rex's and peck and peck at the thick multi-layered leveled of skin. This irritated the easily irritated small t-Rex's.

“Amazing how, such a big animal can still be irritated so easily and is so mentally weak. That peck attack cannot possibly do that much physical damage or even cause much physical pain, or visible damage. I mean look at that body! It has barely pierced the flesh of the beast, and that is the smallest one. Can you believe if they started to attack the larger sizes of t-Rex's like the medium-sized ones or the large-sized ones?”, said Cameron.

“Really you have time to talk right now! We are running and fighting for our life—fight or flight, or this case BOTH!” said Cassidy.

Then tail of the of the Brontosaurs smacked unintentionally the largest t-Rex to the ground. Other animals came to help crush that T-Rex, animals like the Allosaurus, and the Stegosaurus jumped and stomped and kicked and beat the T-Rex mercilessly to death. It was too much for the poor creature, just seconds before its death in the tag team match it gave out a loud cry: ARRRRRRRRRRR.

“Great one down two to go”, said Charlie. Still not happy they kept fight for their very lives. Just then, two of the T-rex’s charged down towards the Allosaurus, and the Stegosaurus together they jammed and stabbed at the Allosaurus and down went the Allosaurus, hard, very hard, no effort alone from the Stegosaurus could help. It tried using it’s blood and vessel loaded spikes into the T-Rex’s stomach and belly, which did cause external damage, but not enough to pry open it and cause significant internal blood shed or organ damage, and thus both T-Rex’s remained in fighting condition with no vitals affected.

“Drat”, said Cyrus.

Luckily, the Stegosaurus was largely undamaged. And together with the help of the Triceratops they battled ONE of the T-Rex’s. The Triceratops used his body as a shield for the Stegosaurus, while still using his horns as an offensive weapon to drill into the flesh of the T-Rex and then used his surrounding tissue that was wielded around his face and neck as a shield for himself to bash into T-Rex that they had teamed up on.

Bang! Bang! Bang!

You could hear the loud noises these animals made. Clive cleverly jumped up on the Triceratops grabbed a bundle of rocks and ferns and began throwing it at the T-Rex. Clive continued to yell out for more ammo from his team-mates from below, yelling out “Caleb, pass some dragon fruit, rocks, bushes, anything.” So as fast as he and the rest of the available team-members threw everything at him to catch, and one after another he caught and caught and caught and threw and threw and threw.

Smash! Smash! Smash!

The T-Rex face got pink and blue from all the fruit that was being thrown his way; even coconuts and pineapples were being thrown his way. However, the medium sized t-Rex did not give up, and pursued on his charge, despite being in pain because he saw that he still had a team-member on his side during this fight, so he pressed on even though his body could hardly take more damage. At this time the other T-Rex saw that he was struggling and tried to attack somebody, anybody to make it a great, better fight and reduce the pressure on the medium-sized T-Rex.

Hence, he left him and chased the Haz-Mat team and they scattered in all different directions, zigging and zagging as fast as possible to avoid and slow down their territorial opponent. Each member of this team found a place to hide for temporary safety and retained their communication devices that to their surprise still worked in this parallel universe or whatever it was. They still weren’t sure. Each of them had enough ability to see appropriately which direction they all were running, so that was great for them.

Colin conference called environment and they radioed in every one of their coordinates and together they met at the big boulder. From there they built a flag steadily to show the police officers, Cameron, and Charlie where they were. In the meantime, the police-officers, Charlie, and Cameron were still at shore battling with the two remaining T-Rex’s. The medium one chased the Brontosaurus away, leaving the badly hurt Stegosaurus all by itself to help defend the helpless police officers who had used up their bullets long ago, earlier on this mysterious island planet. Then the fight got more devastating. This was the observations of the Hazmat team. They saw all of it.

The Stegosaurus kept jabbing at each other. The Stegosaurus even climbed on Clinton’s back to increase leverage and attack from as high above as possible. He was smart enough to turn an absolute disadvantage into a comparative advantage or at least a comparative advantage, so he thought.  He was now able to reach further, do more without giving up anything in return. And he could attack a vital area on his opponent’s body—the neck, much more profitable for damage consideration than the base of the animal (the core body). He however, did not think of one thing, the Medium sized T-Rex knocked him down after a while of battling and swiping left, and right, but lucky for the Stegosaurus he managed to take him down simultaneously with one nice big skull-bashing like moving that involved a tiny bit of his spike.

From then on, the team nick-named the fallen and defeated Stegosaurus that gave his life for them: Spike. Spike will forever be considered a hero. Now there was just one, T-Rex battling the police-officers, Clinton, Cameron, and Charlie. It was the largest one, by far and wide. He paraded his feet deeply into the ground, sinking them, then kicking them back and forth, roaring, burping and belching as loud as lion or louder, marking his territory and making it clear he what he was doing and that he meant business.

This petrified the officers, Cameron, and Charlie.  

Clinton responded fearlessly in the same manner, showing his boldness, drive/ motor for success/ desire to succeed. Clinton would not let a challenge get him down. He looked the other Rex in his face. He starred him down. There was no need for punching, and using their tiny little useless claws or kicking, or any of that nature in the battle, all Clinton did was stare at him, not gaze, not look, but stare and the third and largest T-Rex ran like a scary-puss.

At that point, they police officers, Cameron and Charlie said “Hooray!” Charlie said, “we should nick-name that T-Rex that “Fear”, so that we can say that Clinton really stared fear in his face, and he overcame it.”

“Ha ha, good one son”, said Cameron.

Clinton started rolling on the floor laughing when he heard that.

“Hey look even Clinton finds it funny” said Cameron.

‘Ha, that’s right”, said both the cops at the same time.

“Let’s go back, now father” said Charlie.

“Ya, I know, I want to do so too. This was fun, but I got to go home too, but I just don’t know how” said Cameron.

“Neither do we”, said both cops.

Then Clinton, searched the dead body of the defeated T-Rex and found three keys. One key was yellow, the second was orange and the last was golden. He ripped them out carefully, but struggled, but still got it free and gave it to one of the cops. And when all three landed on his hand’s multiple mysterious things happened. The Hazmat team all were pulled back to where Clinton, Cameron, Charlie, and the Cops were. The second mysterious thing that occurred was the Giant Chickens all disappeared. And lastly, a mysterious door, a portal that opened this adventure up opened again and they saw this.

“Hey, look dad there is the same portal we saw earlier, that’s our ticket out of here! Race you dad!”, said Charlie.

He, his father and the two cops ran as quick as they could to the portal and then the portal took them to the other side where they landed back at Charlie and Cameron’s house.





April 19, 2020 03:31

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

L. M.
00:33 Apr 30, 2020

This is a cute and inventive story. The only thing I'd suggest is more showing and less telling (to avoid vagueness). For example this: You could hear the loud noises these animals made could be written more directly. A high-pitched screeching rattled his eardrums. Or, if someone were searching for something, then where? Or where did they find the item? For example: Then Clinton, searched the dead body of the defeated T-Rex and found three keys. (Where on the T-Rex did they find the keys? Ex: He ran his hand over the rough scaly skin of...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Crystal Lewis
12:50 Apr 26, 2020

I like your ideas as they were very imaginative and I think it was cool how you had all the dinosaurs fighting. Those scenes were interesting. However, just make sure to have a good mixture of long and short sentences. At the beginning of your story there were lots of short sentences which made it a bit difficult for me to read and to focus on the story. Short sentences are good for emphasizing a point, or showing some big emotion. Longer sentences are for describing and telling. When editing, if you read your story aloud it will help yo...

Reply

SHERWIN D'SOUZA
18:29 Apr 26, 2020

Thanks that was very helpful.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.