0 comments

Science Fiction

This was supposed to be the happiest day of their life. Sarah was nervous. 


"C'mon," coaxed Zoey. "It'll be awesome."


"I can't wait for MY wedding," said Chloe.


"I bet Elijah's just as nervous. But he's still coming. So you're still coming," comforted Grace.


"I-I'm coming. I-I'm just. . .really nervous."


"We know," Chloe says. "You told us a million times.


The two other women shush her.


"What Chole means," Zoey comforts. "Is that we know you're nervous, and we're trying to help. So if saying it a lot helps, you can do it, and we won't care, because. . ."


"Because we're best friends," Grace supplies.


"Yeah, that is sooooooo middles school. No way am I doing that," Chloe scoffs.


All of the women shoot her stone-cold glares.


Chloe throws up her hands. "What!? Sue me for preferring the term Woman Helpers!


"Ok, we're woman helpers, doesn't make a difference, let's get out there, and conquer the wedding," Zoey tells the women.


Madison pokes her head into the room.


"Scarlett said Emma told her, that Ethan told her, that Noah told him, that Elijah told him that he's ready."


"Just a moment."


"Ready."


"Yes?"


"You ready?"


"Yes."


"ARE YOU READY!?"


"YES!"


"THEN LET'S GO!!!"


They push Sarah out of the room, and in front of the doorway, where her dad stands. 


They walk down the aisle together. Everyone cheers. Sarah takes her place.


The officiant, James, welcomes everybody. She doesn't notice. She's too nervous.


Then Elijah says the story of how they met.


"I was friends with Noah. Sarah was friends with Zoey. So, after Noah and Zoey got married, we became friends, during the after-party. And then we started coming over to each other's houses, and then our relationship grew. And now we're here."


Other people come up and say stuff about Sarah and Elijah.


Then they say the vows. The crowd holds its breath as they slip the rings on.


Then, right before they kiss, a dark shadow fills the sky. Everyone looks up. In the sky is a smooth, curved plane. But it's not a plane.


There are whispers.


"Is that a secret government project?"

"No, we would have heard."

"Where's it going?"

"Wait a second, it looks like it's going to the white house."

"WHAT IF IT'S ALIENS!!!!!!!!!!!"


The crowds erupt, some chasing after the ship, others running away.


"What the fudge!" Elijah curses. (Sarah didn't like curses)


"Duck girl you got the best entertainment ever," Chloe says from behind.


"It's not ours," Elijah says through clenched teeth. 


Suddenly, the ship lands, and Sarah starts to jerkily walk toward the ship.


"Sarah, what the heel are you doing?!"


When Sarah doesn't respond, Elijah steps in front of her. "Sa-Oh God."


"What," asks Chloe shifting to stand in front of Sarah.


"Damn, this wedding just got a whole lot creepier."


Sarah's eyes are glazed over, and powder blue, and dull light emitting from them.


"It's aliens," says Grace hurrying over to them. "They've come to invade us because their population is out of control." She bites her fingernails.


"Grace, look at Sarah. It's so fudging creepy."


Grace takes one look at Sarah and runs away screaming.


"Let's take her to the doctor. Or the president. Or someone!" Elijah is frantic.


"Dude," Chloe says. "She's literally being mind-controlled. There's no antidote to mind control.


"Yeah, but we can still do something!"


"We can either focus on keeping her away from the ship or go to the ship and explore."


"Stay," Elijah says with no hesitation, whatsoever.


"Then get her to the car."


"On it."


Elijah grabs Sarah and puts her into a fireman's hold. Sarah thrashes as Elijah runs to a navy SUV.


He stuffs her in the backseat and automatically locks the back car doors, pressing the button to make the glass separation go down.


"Get in."


Chloe gets into the shotgun, then turns around.


"Elijah, she's unconscious!"


"Oh, fudge!" 


Elijah whirls around. Sarah is slumped in the backseat, her left arm at an awkward angle, her leg twisted underneath her.


"She could be faking."


"She's not. Look dude, if you want to live, I suggest you follow me. I've been preparing for this my whole life. Drive to my place."


***


They drive until they are in front of Chloe's house.


"The garage," Chloe says, and they drive into the garage.


A monotone voice comes from the speakers.


OPTION 1, OR OPTION 2?


"Two," Chloe says in a loud voice.


OPTION TO IT IS. HOLD ONTO YOUR HATS.


The floor slowly descends into the grown.


"What's happening!?"


"We're going to my invasion bunker. Keeps the invaders out."


There is a swooshing noise.


"Drive, get off the elevator before anyone else comes."


The car rolls off the platform, and they get out of the car.


It's a large stone cave with wooden shelves filled with food and water. There are three beds in the corner, all with a big quilt, a fluffy, thin blanket, a sheet, and a pillow. There are ceiling lights on the top, controlled by switches throughout the cave. There are books, games, a radio, a computer, two laptops, a TV, and dozens of electronic sets to do whatever they wanted.


"Wow. . ." Elijah is shocked. "How did you make it?"


"Trade secret. Can't tell you."


Chloe hops onto the bed and opens a laptop, her fingers dancing along the keyboard.


"But I started building it in 2028."


"Seven years ago," Elijah notes.


"Yup. And there are enough provisions for 50 people to last one-hundred years."


"That's crazy!"


"But it's true."


"How'd you build it?"


"I might tell you later but not right now."


They are quiet for a little bit.


Finally, Elijah speaks up. "Why do you think the aliens want to invade us?"


"Maybe they want to make a peace treaty. Or maybe they are overpopulated."


"We might never know."


"Actually, I know why."


"Why?"


"Because humans are good for our diet."


Her body twists, and turns, turning into a hapless lump. Piercing blue light stands in the middle, in the shape of two eyes. When its mouth opens to speak, it's voice echoes.


"And you will have the honor of being first."


And it pounces.


"HELP!!!!!!!!!" Elijah screams.


But by then it was too late.

November 17, 2020 21:54

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.