2 comments

Fiction Friendship Happy

*SpaceHuman's note:

Hi! I just want to quickly thank everyone on here for the awesome support you have all given me. This is going to be my first story that changes perspectives. I tried to push my vocabulary on this story a little more ;)*

-Tyler-

I can't speak. Neither can I think. This is what Harry needs in his life. When he sees all of this he will be even more speechless than I. Although we will be speechless from different reasons.

I'll be speechless because I am excited for what he will think, while he won't speak because he has never experienced this vibrant celebration.

I mean, he has a great life. We both do. We play together, laugh, eat, all the stuff that pre teen boys undergo. But it's a different life-style. I'm not complaining.

"Well Tyler? Will it knock him off his feet?" Sara looks over at me, half her face obscured by the sun.

"Oh-oh yes." I grin and Sara does likewise. She pulls her tan leather cap off her head, nods, and walks off. Her job for the surprise is done. I just need to do mine.

Sara is pretty much the only person I've ever seen that still has the atmosphere of the 1980's. Mood, theme, clothing, everything. I can't say I don't like it though. She's the only person I could find to get this job done. It's for Harry.

I wipe some fresh dirt of my dress shoes that I almost never wear and walk of the lawn. The bunker lies a good 200 feet away, and inside, somewhere, is Harry. I would wager a few dollars that he's working on those soccer shots.

Ever since Sara told him that his kick could possibly be saved by her little brother, he's been in there working every angle to enhance his ability. I chuckle under my breath and begin my 200 foot stroll through the soft dirt.

It's bright and cloudless today with a light fog that I am finding quite pleasing. On the outside, the grey bunker looks nugatory, but once the front desk man lets you down the elevator the scene switches dramatically. The bunker that Harry lives in has around 10 floors (three of which are above ground) equipped with a gym, food source, and a teem of people that all keep to themselves.

It's pretty self explanatory. Harry's never been outside. Unless you count when he was in his mother's belly. He's had everything he needs right in this showpiece.

"Tyler!" I turn around and identify a friendly face. Harry pushes his messy light brown hair from his brown and blue eyes.

"Hey Harry. How are those shots going?" I raise my eyebrows a little so he can comprehend what I'm talking about.

Harry gives me a dull look. "Will you, just?" He punches me softly on the arm and I give a soft chuckle. I continue.

"But seriously, happy 12th birthday."

He smiles back but instantly is confused. His pale forehead crinkles up.

"Dude, why is your body decorated with formal attire? It's Sunday." His forehead falls back down. I scratch my rough black hair. I want to tell Harry everything. But I'm going to give him a small dose of suspense. "Well?" he asks again. I quickly snap out of my pondering and straighten out my bow tie.

"I want to show you."

"Please can we not do this? I just worked out for two hours. Which floor?" He asks. I smirk.

"Ground level." And I run to the departing elevator, leaving him to chase after me.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I'm flopped on the wooden bench scrolling on my new iPhone 13. It has just come out a month ago and almost everyone has it. The camera system changed to just two powerful cameras, and there's this weird 3D thing that they added which everyone is obsessed with.

The elevator dings, and when I look up, an annoyed Harry is staring at me. If his look had a taste it would be like 100% dark chocolate. He sighs and yanks me up from my snug spot.

"You better have a good explanation," he tells me. "I better be speechless, or the next thing you'll have is a broken neck." He smiles and I put up my hand to reassure him.

"You will be." Or at least I think so. I picture the cyan and white balloons on the lawn, tied to the tables with the dark blue and grey tablecloth. On them are Harry's favorite snacks. He is lost for words and his jaw falls open. And he wants to stay outside, and away from the bunker that he has been inside for all his life.

But that's just my dream. After the party he'll probably just want to go back to that place. That place where you see a couple people a day. But he must not do that. It's fine if he'll still go back there. But he has to be in the fresh air more. When he sees the birds flying together and the smell of the crisp air...

I put my arm around Harry's shoulder and begin to walk him to the entrance of the bunker. He halts.

"What are ya doing Tyler? I'm not going outside." He breaks from my grasp, turns, and sprints away. To which floor? I haven't the foggiest idea.

"NO!" I shout. But there is no response. The hall is empty, except for an elderly who has just entered. She gives me a puzzled look and continues to shuffle with her cane.

I am about to charge after him but something comes over me and I stay still. He. Is. Afraid. I need to leave him alone. Maybe he'll come around?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

-Harry-

The truth is. I'm not afraid because I think air is toxic. If it were, then Tyler wouldn't be such an awesome friend. I don't think I was too nice back there with him. I'm afraid because stepping out there is the biggest change of my life. It's just strange. You've lived in a confined space for 12 years and now you experience something totally different.

But that's life. Life gives you one shot. I'm not wasting it.

I force myself upright and make my way back to ground floor. Tyler is bent over fiddling with the little strands of his hair. His deep brown skin is covered in little beads of sweat. Looks like I owe an apology. I trudge over to him.

"I-I'm sorry Ty. It's just all so new. But I trust you. So please, take me out there." It's Tyler's turn to be speechless. But he isn't emotionless. His smile takes up half his face. I'm ready.

"Ok," I remark. "Let's. Do. This."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I don't know why I was afraid. I am laughing and crying. Too much. But we both are, so I don't feel weird. I run around the stone path taking in the fresh air, and Tyler suddenly grabs me.

"Ok this is not why I brought you here though. I need to show you something. It's on the other side of the bunker."

Tyler leads me around and I continue to take in my surroundings, when my breath suddenly is cut short. In front of me is the most beautiful birthday surprise, and even more, all the people I love. Even Sara is here.

I. Am. Speechless.

March 07, 2021 03:12

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Michael Boquet
17:55 Mar 11, 2021

This is a cute story. I think the split perspective works well. It's almost like both characters are telling their stories right to the reader. You do a good job of describing the setting and scenario too. I did get a little confused as to who was who in the first section. I'm not sure you need Dan. Tyler could just as easily set up the party himself. Maybe with Sara's help? That way you establish her early and it would connect to the end. Thanks for the like on last week's story. I hope you'll check out the one I posted for this week.

Reply

18:38 Mar 11, 2021

Thanks for the feedback, that's a great idea, I think I'll do that :). And I can definetely check out your story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.