1 comment

Fiction Friendship

Table For Two—George Davis

  Herbert Pillsbury called the Bickford Inn to make reservations for him and his newest girlfriend, Adelaide Norton. She is the prettiest thing ever walk God’s green earth. She’s more beautiful than a basket of good, ripe Maine Blueberries Herbert thought. 

  “Yes, Mr. Pillsbury, we can accommodate your request: dinner for two on Friday the 12th,” Owner and maître D,’ Orrin Welch confirmed the reservation. 

  “Well, Hon, it’s all set. I’m taking you to the Bickford Inn for dinner Saturday night.” 

  “Wonder if I don’t want to go, Bert?” 

  “Ah come on, Addy. I’ve made reservations already.” 

  “Herbert Pillsbury it might be a good idea to talk with me before you make plans that involve me.”  

  “I just…” 

“I know. You didn’t think, Bert. Women like to know what their fella is up to. It’s part of our makeup. We aren’t like men. We think things out first.” 

“I’m sorry, Addy. I just thought you might like a good time, that’s all.” 

“I know your intentions were good, Bert. And, yes, I’ll go with you this time, but in the future, please talk your plans over with me first.” 

“I will, Addy. I promise.” Boy, she wants her cake and eat it too. 

Everything on Friday night was perfect, Herbert thought; Orrin seated them in the back where a large window looked out on the Sagamore River where the last of the sun’s rays danced over the rippling water. 

  Sandra, their waitress asked, “Would you care for a beverage?”

  Sandra looked at her date and watched his reaction to the waitress’ question. Sandra did not drink alcohol, but she heard from several of her friends, Herbert was known to take a nip now and again.

  “None for me, Sandy,” Bert said. 

  “I’ll have a Coke, no ice,” Sandra said, her eyes still on her date. 

The two ordered the same meal; broiled rib eye steak with onions, baked potato, creamed asparagus, and regular coffees. 

Sandra filling their coffee cups asked, “What will you have for dessert? We are featuring a chocolate torte with vanilla ice cream, at $3.95.” 

“None for me,” Adelaide said. “I’m watching my waistline.” 

“I’ll have the dessert. I’ve already got my waistline out where I can watch it.” 

Sandra chuckled. 

The ride home was pleasant. The weather was great. A warm breeze blew through the open window of Herbert’s ’13 Kia Soul. As they drove over the Sagamore River bridge, they both remarked on the soft rippling water. There was a canoe with a boy and girl rowing toward the bank. Adelaide thought. Those two kids were in love. What a grand feeling. She could only hope this evening wouldn’t be the end of her relationship with Bert. 

  Adelaide and Herbert were married two weeks later. It was, as one might say, a whirlwind courtship. At least, that’s what his parents would have called it.

  There were rough spots in their marriage, but unlike the couples of the day, they stuck it out and worked through their problems.

  Nine months and one day after they took their wedding vows, William Robert Pillsbury was born. He would later be called, Billy Bob Pillsbury. Billy Bob started kindergarten at the age of five. And like a flash out of the blue, he grew to manhood. He finished college, started his lawyer’s practice in Bickford, Maine, a small coastal town on the shores of the great Atlantic Ocean. Billy Bob married Gloria Goode, and settled down in Bickford.

  Bert and Addy were blessed with two grandsons, Orville and Roger. 

  All is well that ends well they say. Herbert and Adelaide enjoyed each other’s company. They are not just an ordinary married couple that survived years of marriage. They are best friends, and that makes the difference. How many people get married to the wrong person? I’d say, probably somewhere around 10%.

  “Addy, darling, it’s been a boundless forty-years. I have no regrets. I’ve loved you from the first time I saw you at the high school dance. You were with Ronnie Simpson. I said to myself, ‘Bert old buddy. You have to get rid of Simpson. He is not good for that beautiful princess. Do you remember what happened to Simpson, Addy?”

  “Yes, you bought him off with free school lunches for a month. And, Ronnie loved to eat.” She smiled. “Have you seen Ronnie lately?”

  “Yes, he’s ballooned up to a humongous man. I bet he weighs four-hundred pounds if he weighs an ounce.”

  “I’m glad you rescued me, Honey. Ronnie Simpson was a bore, and a complete nerdy guy.”

  “I’m glad too, Sweetheart.” They embraced and kissed.

  Saturday, the Pillsbury’s anniversary. “Forty years ago tonight, Addy we honeymooned at the Bickford Inn. I had a sirloin steak with onions, and you had broiled haddock with cheese sauce.”

  “You have got the most fantastic mind I have ever known. I couldn’t have told you what we had to eat that night. I was too much in love.”

  Bert and Addy went over to the Bickford Inn for dinner and celebration. Bert made reservations for their anniversary. 

  “Evening Folks,” Orrin Welch said. “I have prepared a place for you in the rear overlooking the Sagamore River. I remember it is your favorite table. 

  Tim, their waiter asked, “What can I get you folks for an appetizer?” 

  “How about fried mushrooms for my dear wife. I’ll have fried mozzarella sticks.” They ate the appetizers in silence. Adelaide knew that her husband didn’t like to talk when eating. His father told him, ‘we come to the table to eat, not talk.’ 

  They both ordered the same meals they had eaten forty-years ago in this very room. The room has a large plate-glass window overlooking the Sagamore River. The body of water that separates Bickford from Cumberland Falls.

  They both enjoyed the view from their table. The last rays of the sun danced across the rippling waters giving off shimmering concentric circles.

  “It’s a gorgeous evening, Bert. Just like the night we were married, remember?”

  “Yes, I remember staring all evening at the most beautiful girl in the county. Your eyes attracted me from the start. Those azure-blue orbs. Your winsome smile, and those two dimples on either side of your lips that dance when you smile. I was smitten by the love bug.”

  hand.

February 19, 2021 16:17

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

06:25 Feb 27, 2021

Lovely story! Since you have chosen a long timeline, I would suggest trying some story elements like flashback or backstory to show the character's past.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.