7 comments

Fantasy Mystery

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.

The knowledge of knowing the Sun brought more comfort to her than her own mother brought tears to her eyes. Aries frowned, leaning back onto the grass, feeling it between her fingers. She bit the inside of her lips, closing her eyes.

Everything was cold, crisp. It was like electricity was swirling within her, making her insides shake and turn, writhe as every second past. It dug into the sides of her flesh, even down into her bones. It was so cold the cold became hot, like fire. It was like the snow was eating her alive. She couldn't feel anything but the snow. It was like she was the snow and the snow was her. It was suffocating, it was pain, it was horri-

"Aries!" Someone hollered, reaching her ears like inky tentacles. She let out a hoarse scream, lurching forward. Her heart felt like it was going to burst through her chest. Aries curled herself up, hugging her knees close to her chest, trying to ignore what felt like cotton in her throat.

She had the nightmare time and time again without fail, and every time her eyes were blurry from the tears. They were just as cold as the snow in the nightmare, making her shake. It brought her back to the nightmare- "Aries! Get out of bed, now!" Her mother screamed, bringing a surge of adrenaline to her. Aries lip quivered with fear as she slowly crawled out of bed, leaving the warm comfort of her blankets.

"Coming, mother!" She called out. Aries eyed the edges of her room, slinking her way over to her dresser to the right of her bed. It was a harsh brownish black that clashed against the white walls of her room, and the grey carpet. She let out a small sigh opening a drawer, feeling the cold metal against her hand: yet again being brought back to the nightmare of being trapped within the snow. 

She gulped, gathering her under clothes, a grey tank top and black baggy pants for today. Aries did her best to avoid catching a glance of herself in the mirror, but her room was small, and having her back to the door unnerved her: she ended up seeing her hallowed cheeks, her sharp collarbone and the tears in her flesh. 

Her heart hammering in her chest, hands in her pockets and her teeth biting the edge of her tongue, she made her way to the door, ignoring the cold reminding her of the nightmares. "Aries!" Her mother snapped, bringing that all too familiar adrenaline back into being. 

"Mother, I'm right here." She replies, her voice soft and yet hoarse from the lack of water. Her mother, a woman of harsh blues and purples, turned around her in a manner telling Aries of her rage. 

"You're late." Lu'nari hissed, walking towards her. Aries took a step back shaking her head hesitantly.

"No-"

"Yes you are!" She screams, lunging forward, grabbing both of Aries's shoulders pulling her towards herself. Aries shut her eyes and clenched her jaw, doing her best to ignore the slow howl of the wind starting to be come suddenly clear. 

She felt her mother, Lu'nari, disappear and in place of her mother was cold. Aries hissed in pain, her body beginning to twist and turn once more trying to escape from what felt like over thousands of needles piercing her skin. The cold was encompassing her, surrounding all sides of her, simply making the needle like feeling worse.

The feeling began to feel crisp, and electricity was starting to swirl within her once more, her insides shaking and turning. It dug into the sides of her flesh, even down into her bones. It was so cold the cold became hot, like fire. It was like the snow was eating her alive. And just as quickly as it started, the feeling of the cold and sharpness disappeared. 

Aries let out a small gasp, breathing in the warmth the air provided, shrinking to the ground. She hugged herself, crouching, making herself small and close together trying to bring in warmth. "You know what to do, Aries." Her mother said. Aries felt her mother creep around her in a circle. Aries let out a small groan feeling bile climb up her throat. "Aries!" Her mother snapped. 

"I.. Don't want to.." She whispers, repeating the word 'warmth' in her head, over and over. 

"It is our job, Aries!" Lu'nari screamed, echoing her daughter's bones with that same terrifyingly piercing electricity. Aries's finger nails dug into the palms of her hands as she refused her mothers untold demands, repeating the word 'warmth' in her head and thinking of the Sunlight in her skin, water coating her throat. 

She ignored her mothers hands on her shoulders, nails digging into her skin. Aries bit the inside of her lip, feeling her hands shake. The bile continued to climb upwards, clawing it's way up. "Aries!" She barked, making her flinch. The girl muttered to herself. "What was that?" Her mother hissed, rage radiating off of her.

"..Warmth.." Aries whispered, only slightly louder than before. Her mother scoffed, lifting her hands from her shoulders. Circling her once more.

"That is not our job, Aries!" 

"..I…" Aries started, flinching when her mother hit a wall. "Want.. Warmth!" She barks, bursting to her feet and turning to face her mother: hand outstretched a blast of fire hit Lu'nari, eyes ablaze. Her mother jumped back letting out a screech, thudding against the wall. "I want warmth." She hisses, and then just like that- it filled her.

It was as if her insides shrunk together. Weaving, healing. It was like the Sun was within her. Aries grinned, spreading her arms and risking a step forward, to her mother, Lu'nari. "Warmth, mother.. Warmth." Flames sparked from her fingers, licking the air around. Aries's heart felt like it was drifting in a sea, and she began to laugh.

"Aries- Aries, no!" Her mother screamed, frantically grabbing at the walls as she backed into a corner. Aries laughed some more, and flicked her wrists to Lu'nari.

"Warmth, mother." She whispers, the flames going to her mother, swirling around and within.

She let out a sharp exhale, lunging forward. Aries put her hands together, interlacing her fingers and took a big deep breath in, filling her body with the summer air. As she exhaled, she pushed her hands forward, popping her fingers in the process. Sparks of fire were the result.

"Warmth..." She whispered, eyeing the ocean below the cliff she sat upon. "...Warmth.." She says closing her eyes, leaning back onto the grass. Aries clenched her jaw, breathing in through her nose, the warmness filling her lungs.

October 05, 2023 23:02

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

7 comments

Hi Shade :) It has been quite the minute... how are you doing?? (I know you're semi-inactive but I really missed you 😭)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Daniel R. Hayes
20:02 Oct 25, 2023

I loved this story! The first line really sucked me in. Your attention to detail is really good and I really enjoyed reading this. Great job!! 😊

Reply

Crows_ Garden
17:14 Oct 27, 2023

Thank you! I really enjoyed writing this : )

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jasey Lovegood
08:42 Oct 09, 2023

Princey! It's been a while, my friend. I loved the piece, very vivid and the descriptions were eloquent. That, and the first line, "The knowledge of knowing the Sun brought more comfort to her than her own mother brought tears to her eyes." Chills. Also, Aries as a name! I really liked that, it flowed nicely and the constellation connotations that tie in with the Sun were clever. Hope you're doing well <3 Jasey xoxo

Reply

Crows_ Garden
15:38 Oct 09, 2023

It has been! I hope you're doing well : ) Thank you! I did my best to do more descriptions for this one. Yeah it was definitely something writing that one. Ha! That bit was completely on accident, wasn't planned lol You too Jasey Bear<3

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
02:56 Oct 10, 2023

I'm super busy, but yeah, doing the best I can :) Any plans for any other pieces of writing? Miss u xx

Reply

Crows_ Garden
14:18 Oct 10, 2023

Ahhh, I hope things settle. Sending you the best hun<3 No not really hgfd writers block is a constant battle right now. What about you? I miss you too<3

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.