3 comments

Fiction Romance


“I do.” The words slipped out of my mouth with relief. The wedding ceremony had been chaotic but had turned out quite nicely. As I walked hand in hand with my new husband down the aisle, our friends and family were all smiles. I couldn’t help feeling like the luckiest woman in the world. Jaxon and I had been dating for a little over four years. Our relationship hadn’t always been the best, but I guess not every couple could boast of the perfect union. Jax wasn’t abusive or anything. However, he could be quite difficult and his mood was challenging to predict at times. 

As we climbed into the limousine that would take us to the reception hall, Jax let go of my hand and stared out the window. I was speechless for a moment. “Is everything ok?” 

He let out a sigh and turned to look at me. “Ash, I’m just tired. It’s been a long day, and things haven’t been very smooth lately. I need time to think.” 

I looked at my hands. What was there to think about? Jax was correct. There were things in our relationship that had become concerning but we had worked through those, right? 

We rode in silence to the reception where hundreds of guests would be waiting to greet us. It was time to start the act of being a happy married couple. Jax and I had been set up on a blind date in 2019 by some friends of ours. It wasn’t love at first sight, but there definitely was an attraction between us. Everything started off slowly. Casual dinners, movie dates, long phone conversations late at night. Typical ‘getting to know you’ stuff. It was months before we even kissed. Jax promised he liked me, but he wanted to take things slow, not wanting to screw up the connection we felt for each other. 

Once we started having sex, I began noticing differences in Jax. At times he was gentle and caring, but other times he was harsh and all kink. These were the times that confused me the most, but I looked past them, telling myself how lucky I was to have him in my life. 

My upbringing hadn’t been the best. I was the only child to a single mother; my father died when I was only nine. My mother was so devastated that she hardly showed me any affection. Then there were all of the boyfriends she shuffled through our house. I was in desperate need of affirmation, so I had my fair share of boyfriends and sexual partners. It felt different with Jax, though. I loved him, and I wanted to be with him for the rest of our lives. Sometimes, though, I wondered if he wanted the same thing. After our four year anniversary, I started bringing up the idea of marriage. Then, about three months later he proposed. Now here we are dancing together as husband and wife. Being able to share this beautiful day with people who adore us is something I have only dreamt of.

After the reception, we collected our luggage and drove to the airport. We planned our honeymoon in Seoul, South Korea. Seoul held a special place in my heart. My mother was born in Seoul, and every year we traveled back to visit her family. Jax originally wanted to go to Hawaii, but Seoul is such a dynamic metropolis, emanating culture and diversity. Plus, there was a special location I was determined to see. One that would impact my future.

I expected that our plane ride would be extremely comfortable and rejuvenating as we had gotten first class tickets. On the plane, I gushed excitedly about all the exotic places I wanted to take Jax during our stay and all of the delicious food we would eat. He wanted to know more about the rare artifact I wanted to show him that was being displayed at the Yeji Historical Museum. I steered clear of specifics, but I shared some basic history which seemed to satisfy him for now. Once our plane landed, we collected our luggage, hailed a cab, and headed to our hotel.

We spent the next couple of days traveling around Seoul, visiting some of the local hotspots, and eating lots of amazing food. On our third day, we traveled to the famous Yeji Historical Museum. The Yeji was the largest museum, not only in South Korea, but in all of Asia. It boasted an unprecedented amount of antiquities from Korean dynasties dating back as early as the ninth century. The Yeji also held a large, diverse collection of artwork, sculptures, and paintings from more modern centuries. I was excited, but also trepidatious. I still hadn’t told Jax exactly why we were visiting The Yeji, but he seemed content enough to view the incredible exhibits that are on display.

We walked through immense silver doors only to be greeted by museum workers handing us brochures for their featured exhibits. We began with the ones Jax found most interesting, like the impressive centuries old pottery and statues, and a ten-story stone pagoda. Taking a look through the brochure, I found exactly what I came here for and steered Jax in the direction of the Hall of Asian Wonders. There was a tour group just ahead of us obstructing my view. We moved to the side to reveal more of the expansive ornate room. Columns in the middle of the room held ancient daggers, more pottery, and small animal sculptures. Along the wall were mounted paintings and scrolls. 

I walked straight ahead, and there it was. A silver gilded mirror, no more than 15 inches, hanging on the wall. This artifact had stumped even the brightest minds in archaeology. No one had been able to date the mirror or determine its origins. Hwang Euk-jin, a scholar from Seoul National University, discovered the rare item in the late 1950’s. Mr. Hwang, an accomplished archeologist, was on a dig site in Ilsan when the discovery was made. The mirror, along with other artifacts that had been unearthed during the expedition, were transported back to Seoul, where they were cataloged and thoroughly cleaned. Remarkably, the mirror was unharmed by age and free of imperfections. It possessed a unique ability that made Mr. Hwang a fortune. I didn’t know if I believed all the stories, but now I had the chance to see for myself.

A Korean couple was standing in front of the mirror, staring deeply into it. As I stood off to the side, I watched as they burst into smiles immediately beginning to hug and kiss each other. I couldn’t wait to see what would happen when I approached the mirror. I walked bravely up to the mirror with my eyes closed, almost too scared to look into the reflection shining back at me. I focused on the commotion around me. People quietly discussing their favorite artifacts, children giggling at a particular piece of artwork featuring a naked fat man, and the hum of the lights illuminating the displays. Suddenly, I felt someone take my hand. My eyes snapped open to find Jax by my side, smiling. “Hey, what are you doing?” he asked me softly. 

“This is what I wanted you to see. This is a precious artifact. If you look into it, it will show you the key to your future. At least, that’s what the legend says. Want to give it a try?” I look at him expectantly.

“Sure,” he said as he faced the mirror.

Moment of truth, I say to myself. I face the mirror, and the surface returns my image. Impatiently, I wait for something to happen. Doubt starts to flood my mind. How long is this supposed to take? What if the story of this mirror is just pure legend? What if this doesn’t work? The questions scream through my mind as I wait for something, anything, to be revealed about my future.

Jax sighs, and I almost give up when the mirror starts to shift and change. The surface appears to become gaseous, shifting between various colors, until one color prevails. Black. The color that shows itself in front of me is black. My heart stops. I can’t breathe. No. I can’t be. Why? After all I’ve been through. Thoughts of denial fill my brain as I think about the constant ups and downs of my relationship with Jax - the arguments, the breakups, the proposal that seemed forced, the chaoticness of the wedding. Four years of a not-so-perfect relationship, and here I stand. How could I end up here with nothing but a black void staring back at me? No future filled with happiness. No future filled with love. Worst of all, no future with Jax, the only man I have ever truly loved.

I look at Jax, and he’s looking back at me. I smile trying to hide my disappointment. “It’s just an old mirror. There’s nothing special to see,” he says to me before turning to walk away. 

My future, or the lack thereof, had been decided, and I was devastated. Was I not supposed to be with Jax? Was I not to bear his children? I loved him, but would I be with him for the rest of my life? The mirror had decided that fate for me. We were not meant to be together. I searched for answers, anything that could help me understand what had just happened. How long would our marriage last? After spending four years together and just getting married, what was I going to do? Do I just walk away? Do I stay with Jax and stick it out? Or do I give up now? Do I continue to look for love? Maybe even a love that would last a lifetime. 

My legs felt weak, so I made my way to one of the benches lining the walls of the museum. I sat rigid, thinking and staring at nothing. What was I going to do now? Go back to the hotel? Go back home? Leave Jax and disappoint everyone? So many decisions to make, and I was just so confused.

I felt someone sit down beside me. Still staring blankly, I caught the scent of spearmint and musk that smelled heavenly. I looked to my side where a man wearing black pants and a white shirt sat next to me with a black sports coat draped over his legs. He was the most beautiful man I had ever seen. His head was leaned back against the wall and his eyes were closed. An anguished look was washed across his face. Deep in my spirit, I felt like I knew him, as if from another life. If I believed in such. 

He lifted his head to stare deep into my eyes, his jet black eyes boring into my soul. I gasped as I marveled at his high cheekbones and angular face, my breath hitching in my chest as he pushed the hair that had fallen into his eyes gently to the side. Neither one of us spoke, and it felt like eternity was passing us by.

I finally managed a weak, “Hello.” He responded in kind. “Are you okay?” I asked.

He chuckled. “Not really.” He looked around him at the people passing us by. “I really

enjoy coming to this museum, and I wish I had visited with my girlfriend. Maybe then I wouldn’t be in this position.”

“Why? What happened?” I couldn’t help but be curious.

“My girlfriend and I have been together for about four years. A few months ago, I asked her to marry me. She accepted and started planning our wedding. Today was our wedding day.” He paused. “We didn’t get married. She stood me up at the altar.” 

As I looked at him with a shocked expression, the only words I could form were, “I’m so sorry.” My heart leapt in my chest. Why was I feeling such strong emotions for this man that I didn’t even know? 

“What is your name?”

“Su-Jin.”

“My name is Ashlyn. I just got married, but we looked into the mirror. Have you ever looked into the mirror?”

“No. What did it reveal to you?”

“It turned black. I must not be meant to be with my husband. I don’t know what I’m supposed to do now.” Tears threatened to flow down my face.

“Don’t cry,” Su-Jin reached over and caressed my cheek. “I feel like we should look in the mirror together.” 

Surprised, I looked into his eyes. “Why?” 

Impossible thoughts began racing through my mind. Could this even be possible? I admit that I was attracted to this man but how could we possibly have a future together? We didn’t even know each other. He was a stranger that just happened to sit next to me. We couldn’t possibly be meant to be together? Were we meant to fall in love? This all sounds crazy.

“Why not? What could be the harm?” Su-Jin stood up with an outstretched hand. Reluctantly, I took it. Rather unsteadily, we walked together to the mirror and stood side by side. Not wanting to bear the disappointment again, I closed my eyes. 

“Open your eyes,” Su-Jin whispered.

I opened my eyes and stared at the mirror before me. Again, I saw only my reflection. Nervously, I waited for the mirror to change colors. The gaseous vapors started to swirl around and suddenly I saw black. Not again, I think. Suddenly, I am blinded by a brilliant golden light shining from the mirror. Gold? Does that mean? Surely, not. I look over at Su-Jin, and he’s staring at me. How is this even possible? Does this mean that I’m going to spend the rest of my life with this beautiful man? 

“What did you see?” he asked.

“What do you think I saw?” I say smiling at him.

“The same color that I saw. The mirror doesn’t lie, or so I’m told.”

“Do you think it’s possible?”

“I think anything is possible,” he holds out his hand for me to take, my heart beating wildly in my chest. Gently, I place my hand in his.

Everything goes quiet around us as Su-Jin grasps my chin and pulls my face to his. He kisses me softly on the lips. Now I know the mirror doesn’t lie. 

“How about we start our future together right now?” he asked.

“There are a few things that I need to take care of. Then, I’ll be ready.” I look around to see if Jax is anywhere in the vicinity. Jax is standing beside the door watching us. I walk over to him and take his hands in mine. Looking into his eyes, I can’t help but feel pain and sorrow. Despite what had happened these past four years, I loved him so much. Watching him now, I still love him. 

“When you looked into the mirror, you saw black, didn’t you?” I ask, already knowing the answer.

He looks down. “Yes,” came his short reply. “Ash, I did some research before coming to this museum. I knew about the mirror and the legend surrounding it. I didn’t know what I wanted. I was so conflicted. I love you, and I always will. But now I know that we have been fighting for this relationship that would have just hurt us both in the end. At least we know now, and we can move on. I’m happy you found your soulmate. Eventually, I will find mine.”

“Jax, I’m so sorry. I love you, too. We can take care of everything when we get back home. I know everyone will be disappointed and confused, but at least we will be happier this way. Thank you for the past few years, and I hope you find the person you deserve to be with.” I reach out to hug him, and he pulls me in tight. We pull apart and share a last smile before Jax turns to walk out of the room.

I look at Su-Jin who has been waiting patiently. I walk over to him and take his hand.

“I’m ready if you are.”

“I’ve been ready my whole life,” he smiles the most breathtaking smile, and I feel my spirit soar. 

We walk out of the room leaving the mirror behind, allowing it to carry on its job of playing cupid for other couples.


March 23, 2024 03:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Alexis Araneta
15:33 Mar 29, 2024

Interesting. I love the imagery you used here. Very vivid. Although, I'm very disappointed in Ash. Hahahaha ! Anyway, welcome to Reedsy !

Reply

Show 0 replies
David Sweet
23:46 Mar 23, 2024

Interesting. I knew it was bad news when Jax needed time to think in the limo on their wedding day. He certainly took it well to watch another man kiss his bride in a museum on their honeymoon. Something tells me that it may have been more than a mirror for Jax. Interesting take on the prompt. Welcome to Reedsy.

Reply

Susan Erickson
06:07 Mar 24, 2024

Thank you for your comment. This is my first short story and I think I did fairly well. I believe the mirror represents the questions we ask of ourselves daily. With regards to Jax, since he already knew about the mirror and its ability, his “question” may have been completely different from Ashlyn’s question. I look forward to writing many more stories in the future.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.