The Watsons

Submitted into Contest #260 in response to: Write a story with a big twist.... view prompt

6 comments

Drama Teens & Young Adult Thriller

The Watsons by Amanda Stogsdill


"Hurry up, will you?" Teresa called over her shoulder. Butterfly puffed along, the strap of her heavy schoolbag digging into her shoulder.

"It's miserable. I'm sweating buckets!" The thirteen-year-old complained, "Why can't you drive?"

"Because, my car's broken down, remember? I have school too, you know. Shut up and keep walking." Teresa was also sweating, but wasn't showing it as much as her younger sister. With their identical features and hairstyles, you'd suppose they were twins. Except of course, for their noticeable age gap.

As Butterfly neared the school, Teresa kept her distance, because as Butterfly was always reminding her, "It's not cool to walk with your older sister any more." “Love you.” Teresa called. Waving, Butterfly disappeared inside with other teens, who'd also decided to walk. Teresa smiled. Walking's not so bad after all. Now, on to community college!

****

In their small apartment, Ms. Watson's hands finished braiding her long hair. Proud of her appearance, she smiled at her reflection. Grabbing her purse, she headed for the bus.

At the noisy restaurant, she became busy serving customers with the other waitresses. All night, back and forth from the steamy kitchen, legs aching, wishing she were home with Teresa and Butterfly. The others always had plans after work, not her.

Closing time, at last. Satisfied with the tips, Ms. Watson prepared to leave. "Sure you don't want to join us? We're going to the bar." Ms. Watson shook her head emphatically. "What's the matter with you? You never have any fun." One teased.

"Can't, gotta go." Abruptly, she turned and disappeared into the night.

Entering her dark and silent apartment, Ms. Watson placed her keys in a dish. Smiling she read the family’s note: Had dinner, Butterfly finished homework. Heart Teresa

Checking on the girls, she smiled upon hearing their deep breathing. After a quick shower, their mother collapsed, exhausted.

****

For Teresa, the week dragged by with an endless stream of car dealers, only interested in her money. By Friday, she was ready to throw in the towel. Deciding to give this last one a try, she dialed.

"Hey, babe!" A man's raspy voice asked when she answered. Teresa almost dropped the phone. In spite of the heat, a cold sweat broke out all over her body, making her shiver. Phone clutched in her trembling hand, she sank down on the couch. Not him, why did it have to be him! "Remember me, don't you?" He continued, chuckling.

Gulping for air, she slammed her phone down, ending the call. Still shaking, Teresa closed her eyes, willing his voice and face to vanish. she once more dialed the number. This time, a woman answered.

"How many mechanics work there?" Teresa asked, trying to keep her voice from trembling. "Okay. I need my car fixed. Who else can work on it? I don't want him fixing it."

"Who?" The receptionist, puzzled by the woman's words, replied, "Tell me who."

Teresa gave his name. "Next Monday, another mechanic will help you." Teresa hung up, hoping the woman wasn't nosy.

As the days melted into one another, She was able to concentrate on her schooling. She'd had to drop out in high school, so had taken her GED, and was now slowly working towards her teaching degree. Trudging from class to class, Teresa was looking forward to the day when she could move out and have a place of her own. She also wanted to teach in a decent school. For now, she was living at home with her mother and Butterfly. She also wanted to put the past thirteen years behind her.

***** Sunday night at dinner, Teresa was unusually quiet. As Butterfly talked about some sleepover her friend had invited her to, Ms. Watson carefully watched her eldest. "Butterfly, dishes now." Ms. Watson pulled Teresa into her bedroom. "What's up?"

"Nothing, Mom. Just a rough day. Tomorrow my car'll be fixed." Teresa replied, meeting her mother's eyes.

"Hope you're right. Just so long as it's fixed." Teresa wasn't sure if Mom meant her mood or the car—probably both.

**** The next morning Teresa's car slowly chugged to the dealers. "Hello, I'm Benny." A handsome guy with long hair greeted her. Nervously, Teresa gestured to her car. "I'll call you tomorrow. Just a flat." Benny smiled, but Teresa just wanted out of there.

True to his word, Benny called with his report. Not terribly pricey! Teresa thought. She was about to drive away when, "By the way, one of our mechanics was asking about you. I told him to get lost. I didn't want to make trouble." "Good, stay out of it. I'm still not holding my breath." Teresa pleaded silently. Thanking him, she sped off, tires squealing.

***** "Well, is it fixed?" Butterfly demanded eagerly.

"Yeah. I can drive you now." Butterfly smiled.

"No, she won't. You can take the bus." Ms. Watson raised her eyebrows at Butterfly's pouting expression she knew too well.

“Mom, the car’s faster!” Butterfly replied, giving her sister her pleading look.

“No. Anyway, your friends ride the bus, right?” At Butterfly’s nod, the discussion ended.

***** Teresa's fears of seeing the other mechanic decreased. She still wished he hadn't answered her call, and prayed she never would see his face again. That awful night at that party had been the worst of Teresa’s high school years. She'd spent all these years blocking out those painful events. Whenever she’d attempted another relationship, it always fell apart. The reason was Butterfly.

****

"Mom, can I please go?" Butterfly pleaded for the hundredth time on Friday.

"No, no, no. That's final." Ms. Watson lightly hit her daughter on the shoulder. "Stop nagging!"

"What's going on?" Teresa entered, books in her arms.

"That sleepover Keisha invited me to. Mom won't let me go because boys will be there." Butterfly grimaced.

“She’s right. You’re not going. Maybe, your friends can come here.”

“I hate you both. And you’re not my mother!” Running to their room, Butterfly sulked for most of the evening.

Ring, ring. “Hello.” Teresa’s voice was groggy with sleep. Squinting, her clock read 12:26 AM.

“How’s the kid? Does she know?” It was that same raspy voice from years ago. Head spinning, she hung up.

*****

The next Monday after class, Teresa was waiting in line in the cafeteria when she bumped into someone. "Oh, sorry." She said, clutching her tray. Glancing up, she recognized Benny, the mechanic. "Oh, hey." She managed a small smile.

"I thought I recognized you." He said, "What classes are you taking?"

"Education. I want to be a teacher." Teresa replied, glancing around for a table. Making an excuse about eating before her next class, she hurried away. Glancing over her shoulder, she saw Benny sitting nearby, studying a book.

The next week, the same thing happened. Bumping into each other in line, they made awkward small talk about Teresa's car. “Why haven’t I seen you before?” Teresa edged around a bunch of laughing girls to an empty table.

“Just started. I’m studying automechanics.” With a smile, he strode away, taller than most of the students. Teresa saw a few girls glance his way.

As the weeks passed, their conversations were much easier—professors they liked and movies. Teresa was starting to let her guard down after so long. Whenever Butterfly came up, Benny always wondered at their age difference.

*****"Mom, Butterfly, this is Benny." Teresa was nervous, introducing him.

Both nodded, Ms. Watson eyeing him critically. "Well, sit." She gestured to the couch. "About time you bring someone home!" She teased.

"Mom, stop!" Teresa blushed crimson, making Butterfly giggle.

"Well, you hungry?" Ms. Watson asked.

Afterward, Benny admitted to Teresa he'd felt vulnerable, meeting her family for the first time. "They didn't bite." Teresa reassured him.

"They didn't, but you know—a first meeting. Your family was great."

***** As the visits grew more frequent, Ms. Watson was also cautiously optimistic that this Benny guy just might be who Teresa needed. The last thirteen years had been taken up with raising Butterfly, romance had slipped to the back burner. She'd had a lot to cope with.

***

"What a movie!" Teresa and Benny exited the theater, clasping hands. It was a warm June night, the sky was dotted with stars and a full moon. Walking to their car, Teresa was very happy.

"Hey, babe!" A man stepped out from the doorway of a dark building, blocking their path. Teresa froze, not believing what was happening.

"Hey, you’re that other mechanic?" Benny demanded, "What do you want?"

"Does he know about your kid?" The man smirked at Teresa, whose blood was running cold at that statement.

"What?" Benny gave Teresa a puzzled look.

"Leave me alone!" Teresa said, fists clenched, heart thumping wildly.

 "You mean, he doesn't know! That's right. The kid's not who you think she is!" With those words, he smirked once again, and strode away. Teresa felt her knees buckling, only Benny's arm around her shoulder saved her from hitting the pavement.

"What was that about? Why was he following you?” Benny turned his confused gaze upon Teresa.

Taking a deep breath, she said, "Old boyfriend. Just let it go, please! I don't know why he's following us."

Shaking, and with the night spoiled, they headed to Teresa's.

"What did he mean about Butterfly?" Benny was confused by everything. "If you don't want to tell me, fine. That was just weird."

"Forget about him. We broke up." Teresa hoped he'd let the subject go.

***** That night, the nightmare returned. After meeting in high school, they’d begun dating. The party had started out okay with music and dancing. As usual with teen parties, alcohol quickly made things murky for everyone. Her dreams always ended in that bedroom.

Racing to the bathroom, she became sick in the toilet. Wiping her mouth on toilet paper, she longed for her mother. Could she do anything? She knew Teresa’s ex hadn't shown concern for the child. Why now?

"You okay this morning?" Ms. Watson stirred her coffee, "How was your movie?" Sitting across from her daughter, she noted Teresa's tired eyes and pensive mood.

"Fine. Is Butterfly still in the bathroom?"

"Yes. You know teenage girls. Something about her hair."

"Butterfly, let me in. I can help."

"Go away. I look a mess."

After more back-and-forth, Teresa was allowed in. A few minutes later, hair fixed, the sisters emerged just in time for the walk to the bus stop.

****

Unsurprisingly, Teresa found it difficult to concentrate in her classes. How had her old boyfriend know about her and Benny? Why was he taunting her now? She doubted it was a coincidence him turning up last night. By the end of the day, she was still an emotional wreck. Unlocking her door, she frowned, raising her eyebrows; Benny was waiting for her. "Hey. Just checking in."

"I'm great, just great." She blew a strand of hair off her forehead.

Not missing her sarcasm, Benny's hand inched towards hers, almost touching. Thanking him, she promised to call later. In the driver's seat, Teresa leaned back, overcome by exhaustion and worry.

****

Another dinner in the kitchen. "Butterfly, how's your grades?" Teresa's attempted effort at normal conversation sounded flat.

"I got a B on our math quiz. Our teacher just surprised us!"

"How's your grades?" Ms. Watson asked Teresa, stuffing leftover chicken in a bag for later.

"Okay. Some classes are brutal." She wanted to mention her run-in with her Ex, but was unsure what her mother could do.

“Butterfly, do you have homework?” Teresa asked

“All done. Mom, can I go to Keisha’s?”

“No, it’s a school night. Maybe tomorrow.” Ms. Watson answered over her shoulder, heading for the door.

Teresa couldn’t take it any longer. Hurrying after her, she called, “Mom, I need to talk to you.”

“What? I’ll be late.” Quickly, Teresa described the phone call and the run-in with her ex.

“Why now? It’s been thirteen years!” Ms. Watson doubted the police would help, and warned Teresa to say nothing to Benny or Butterfly.

“What if he comes after Butterfly?” Teresa was desperate for some reassurance. Her mother didn’t have an answer.

**** It was about two weeks later when Benny broached the Ex subject. “He hasn’t followed you again?” Shaking her head, Teresa turned from the stacks of books on the table.

“Is Butterfly adopted? Or is she—”

As realization dawned, Teresa felt her heart sink to the floor. Here it goes, she thought, reading his eyes. Another failed relationship. “Does she know?” Another shake.

“I think Butterfly can handle it now.” Benny pushed his stack aside, “She’s old enough.”

How do you know? You don’t know what it’s like raising a kid alone, feeling judged for every mistake. No, I’m not telling her!” Snatching her books, Teresa ran out, almost knocking in to a girl.

***

A month and many tears later, Teresa and Benny made up. Benny appeared at her last class, and lightly touched her arm. “Sorry.” He said. Walking in silence, Teresa wondered what he’d do next. “You should be. But, I want to start over.”

“Me too. I won’t mention Butterfly again.” They spent the remainder of the evening at a park, watching the people.

*******

The next step for Teresa was handling her Ex. Going to the police hadn’t gotten anywhere. After discussing the situation with her mom and Benny, they decided to leave it alone. A few days later, Benny informed them his boss had spoken with her Ex. With luck, that would take care of it.

***** Five Years Later

"Come on, you're making us late!" Ms. Watson knocked loudly on Butterfly's door.

"One minute, mom!" She hollered back. Gazing at herself in the mirror, Butterfly smiled. Today was an especially important day, nothing was going to spoil it. Adjusting her long dress, she was satisfied. Everything was in place.

At the sound of the knock, Ms. Watson answered it to Teresa and Benny. "Look at you! When's it due?" Ms. Watson smiled at her daughter's belly.

"About six months. I can't wait." She and Benny grinned at each other.

Emerging from her room, Butterfly excitedly ran to her sister. Taller now, with short hair and makeup, her eyes sparkled at the joy of the occasion; she showed off her new dress. Teresa felt her throat close, seeing Butterfly looking grown up! "You're beautiful." She whispered.

At the school, the parking lot was jam packed. Banners, flowers, and balloons were everywhere; students milled around, parents snapped quick pictures.

As the ceremony began with the traditional walk down the aisle to Pomp and Circumstance, Butterfly gazed around the crowded auditorium, but couldn't see her family. Standing at the podium she delivered the valedictorian address, throwing in some humor about pranks played, and classes skipped. Laughter and applause broke out as she finished. Proudly, she stepped across the stage when her name was announced. Accepting her diploma, Butterfly joined her classmates at the edge of the stage. Flipping their tassels, the class cheered and whistled. In the audience, her grandmother and mother beamed, proud of Butterfly.

The End

July 27, 2024 00:16

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

6 comments

VJ Hamilton
01:03 Aug 16, 2024

What a heartwarming ending, Amanda! Persistence pays off!

Reply

Amanda Stogsdill
18:12 Aug 16, 2024

Thanks very much. Great to hear.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lisa VanGalen
01:39 Aug 15, 2024

I liked how you portrayed the struggle that Teresa faced and her strength in overcoming the challenges that came with keeping her secret.

Reply

Amanda Stogsdill
20:32 Aug 15, 2024

Thanks, Lisa. As a writer, it was difficult not to reveal her secret to Butterfly! I had several plots in my head involving those two. Thankfully, I never used any of them.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Karen Hope
19:30 Jul 28, 2024

Lovely story about a family taking a difficult situation and making it work. I glad Teresa and Benny stayed together and that Butterfly leaned the truth and clearly adjusted to it. Good plot twist!

Reply

Amanda Stogsdill
18:53 Aug 02, 2024

Thanks, Karen. That's one way to look at Butterfly's story! Can't wait to see if other readers are thinking the same as you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.