0 comments

Drama Fantasy Sad

Eileen was standing outside on the front porch of a grand home in front of double doors made of wood with beautiful intricate carvings. She was in awe of the details on the door but did not know how she got here. She knocked on the door because that’s what she thought she was supposed to do and then turned to get a better idea of where she was.

The porch she was standing on was massive and appeared to wrap all around the house. She saw flowers and various plants. There were grape vines that were climbing up the trellises. Eileen walked toward the edge of the porch where the steps began and she did not recognize this place, but she had a sense of calmness and serenity while looking out at the horizon. It was the most beautiful place she could ever remember seeing in her life. The sky was a brilliant blue and the sun shined on everything making the leaves and flowers appear to sparkle. There were amazingly tall, beautiful palm trees swaying in the warm breeze. She closed her eyes and took in a deep breath, the air around her reminded her of the beaches near her home and the warm breezes blowing in from the ocean.

She opened her eyes again and was amazed at how vibrant the colors of the flowers, plants, trees, and even the sky were. The fragrance from the flowers was warm and subtle. She could not remember ever seeing greens so green or pink flowers so brilliantly pink, and the yellow roses were the brightest of yellows. All of the colors of the flowers were brilliantly radiant but somehow calming as well. She felt like she was in a beautiful painting that she could feel and smell. Behind her she heard the door open, and a familiar voice called her name.

“Eileen?” was spoken in a sweet loving English voice. She turned around to see her Nanny standing there looking younger than she remembered with a cheerful smile. She said again, “Eileen? Oh, my darling girl we have been waiting for you. I am so happy to see you. Come here and give your Nan a hug.” Eileen was so excited to see her Nanny, she rushed to her and the two embraced. Eileen could smell that familiar scent of her Nanny. It was the scent of roses and a vitamin E lotion that she and her sister would buy for their Nanny every Christmas. She held her tight and took a deep breath taking in that familiar scent before releasing her. They were both filled with such joy and love, but also a complete feeling of peace as if they were right where they belonged. It was a feeling she could not ever remember experiencing in her life.

“Nanny, I am so happy to see you. It’s been so long. How are you?” Eileen said gleefully. “Oh, my dear, I am thrilled to see you too. We have everything ready for you.” Eileen’s Nanny took her by the hand and guided her into the house. She was amazed by what she saw and felt as she walked through the house. It felt as though she was home. The house was bright and calming. It was like the warmth of the sun seemed to be shining in everywhere. In the house she heard more familiar voices. She looked at her Nanny with shock and excitement then ran into the room where the voices were coming from.

Sitting on the couch talking and laughing together was her mom and another woman she did not recognize. Eileen stood there for a moment staring in awe at her mom and her eyes began to well up with tears. Quietly, as if she was afraid that if she were too loud or made a sudden move this vision in front of her would simply disappear, she whispered, “Mommy?’  

Her mom turned to her with the most beautiful smile Eileen could ever remember seeing. Like when she was just a small child Eileen ran to her mom. As she came around the couch her mom stood, and she was a vision of love. Her mom was wearing a dress that Eileen remembered from her childhood. It was a long white dress with yellow, red, pink, and orange tiny flowers tied up into mini bouquets scattered throughout and individual flowers falling all around. She always thought her mom looked elegant in this dress. After a moment, her mom raised her arms beaconing Eileen to come hug her and she did with all she had. She began to cry and tell her mom how much she loved her and missed her. She was so happy to see her after all this time.

Her mom wiped away her tears and told her she was overjoyed to see her, She said, “Sweetheart I missed you too!” then she said something Eileen did not quite understand, “I could not wait to see you again, I just wished for more time for you.” Then from another room she heard a deep voice and realized it was her dad. While Eileen and her mom were still standing close together with their arms around each other’s waists her dad came in the room.

Like her mom, her dad looked amazing and younger than she remembered him, if she didn’t know any better she would have thought he was in his 40’s. He walked over to Eileen and in his low baritone southern accent he said, “Baby girl it is so good to see you.” They hugged, but Eileen did not let go of her mom in fear that she would disappear, she wasn’t sure why she felt that way. She thought to herself, ‘People don’t just disappear, stop being silly.’ Before her dad released her hug he also said something she did not quite understand, “I just didn’t realize it would be so soon.” He let her go and pointed to the couch saying, “Come, sit down and tell us how you’ve been and what’s been happening with you.”

Nan said, “Before we get started, Eileen would you like some tea and biscuits?” Eileen smiled and said she would love that so much, she said, “I would especially love the digestive biscuits with the chocolate on one side.” Her Nan smiled and said, “Of course, those were always your favorite.” Nanny and the woman that was sitting on the couch with her mom went into the kitchen to prepare the tea. “Mom who’s that woman in the kitchen with Nanny? “Oh, she’s my cousin Maureen. You remember me telling you about her.” Eileen thought about it, and she did remember her mom telling her about her cousin. She always said they were once as close as sisters until mom moved to the states from England. She thought how nice it was to see them together.

In the kitchen Nan and Maureen were preparing the tea and biscuits. Maureen said, what she thought was the most obvious statement, but with some concern, “Aunty, she doesn’t know where she is or what’s going on. Should we tell her?”  Nan said, “No, I don’t think so, not yet at least. Let’s give her time and see if she comes to it on her own.” The two women gathered up the trays of tea and biscuits then headed out to the gathering room. Eileen was sitting on the couch with her mom and dad working out a way to tell them about her life.

Eileen’s parents were encouraging her to tell them her life story as Nan and Maureen were returning to the room. Eileen’s life has been a little challenging even more so over the past few years and she was not sure where to begin. Tears filled her eyes as she was trying to find her words and said, “Mom, Dad…I don’t know where to start. Life has not exactly gone they way I thought it would. I have been trying my best to find myself and be a good follower in Christ, to be a good mom, daughter, and sister, but no one could understand and did not see the changes I made.” Her mom and dad gave each other knowing looks. Her mom took a breath and then gathered Eileen’s hands in her own then said, “It’s okay, just tell us and be true to yourself.”

Since Eileen arrived at the house she had felt calm and for the first time in her life. Her mind was not racing or trying to figure out what to do next, but now having to talk about her life was bringing her anxiety. Although when her mom took her hands and held them firmly in hers she felt calm again. Eileen hugged her mom and then stood up to begin telling her family about her life.

She told them about the jobs she had and lost. Then she divorced her first husband and she got remarried and had two more children. She told them about all the things she learned from You-tube telling her the truth about the government. She became more enlightened and put her ego in check, but she noticed that others in her life still struggled with their ego, and she just couldn’t be around them. Eileen continued to talk on and on. She told them the state of California stole her younger children saying she was not a fit parent because she did not protect her children from their father. On and on she talked.

As she talked the warmth in the house began to reduce and there was a chill in the air. It was becoming noticeable to all the individuals in the room. Eileen even noticed and got a questioning look on her face. She said, “Wow, is there a storm coming?”

Eileen’s Nan smiled a slightly pitying smile, “Eileen, come sit here.” She patted a spot on the couch next to her. The couch was facing a window that reached from wall to wall and floor to ceiling. The beauty of the view from that couch was amazing and Eileen could hardly take her eyes off of it. Although there was something odd about the view that she could not quite figure out. If she had looked a little closer she would have noticed that the vibrant colors were beginning to dim and at the very edge of the horizon there was a dark almost black line.

Her Nan grabbed her attention away from the window. She said, “Eileen we are aware of some of the trouble you have had recently but is that really your truth.” Eileen pulled away from her Nan giving her a look of confusion and then she looked around the room at the others listening to her tales and seemingly judging her. She became upset and that dark line in the horizon began to grow as the warmth in the house began to diminish. She said, “Nan no offense but what do you know about what I’ve gone through these past years. You’re just like everyone else. I grow and none of you can handle it! I’ve done a lot and worked hard to improve myself. I would have thought since we haven’t seen each other in years that you all would have noticed a difference. Oh my God what is wrong with everyone?” Eileen was so upset she began to cry, and the dark horizon was growing, colors were dull, and the house was now becoming chilly.

Eileen looked at her mom and dad very confused about what was happening to her surroundings. Her mom quickly got up and went over to her daughter. She wrapped her up in the warmth of her hug and said, “It’s okay, it will be okay. Tell us about Nikki and Bobby how is your relationship with them.”

Eileen told them that she and her daughter Nikki were not currently talking. Nikki left her behind and no longer wanted a relationship with her. She said Bobby was helping her, but he keeps going back to his girlfriend and she was sure the only reason he was helping her was to get something out of her. The darkness was now very noticeable now in the distance, the colors were also darkening and now Eileen was looking for a blanket to wrap herself up in.

Eileen’s dad said, “Eileen do you not see what is happening around you?” Her mom turned to her dad and sharply said, “Elmer!” He looked back and with concern said, “Well is nobody going to say it? She clearly doesn’t understand or remember. We need to help guide her.” Mom put her head down sighed and said, “You’re right, you’re right.” Then turned to her cousin and said, “Maureen can you help?”

Maureen stood and walked over to Eileen. She took her by her hand and assisting her up  off the couch. The two women walked to the window. Maureen lovingly said, “Eileen, Do you know where you are or what’s happening? Do you know why you’re hear or what happened to you?” Eileen looked at Maureen and confidently said, “We’re in my head, this is clearly a dream because everyone in this room except me is dead.” Maureen sighed and gave her a sympathetic smile and shook her head no, indicating that she was not in a dream. Eileen said, “Okay not a dream based on how dark it’s getting I’m having a nightmare; I just need to wake up. My sister said that once I realize I am in a dream I can control what happens next. I was upset and that’s why it’s getting dark, so now I will just think of beautiful flowers.” She looked out into the horizon, but nothing changed in fact it may have gotten darker.

Maureen said, “Eileen I am sorry there is no easy way to say this so I will just say it. You died and this is the afterlife.” Eileen said, “No, that can’t be.” Eileen’s mom came to her and said, “My girl I am sorry but it’s true. Do you remember being sick? You had Stage 4 Breast Cancer, and you went to the hospital because Bobby and his dad were worried. You became non-responsive and could not eat. Two days later you passed. Your brother came to see you, he and your sister were devastated.”

Eileen said, “I don’t understand what’s happening then, Why was it beautiful and now it’s getting dark?” Maureen said, “That darkness is coming from you. You are still in denial of what happened the last few years and you are blaming others for your choices. Every soul when they go to Earth have assigned themselves lessons to learn to help themselves to grow. All souls are given an opportunity to return to Earth to try again or for further growth, but if you remain in denial for too long you will be stuck in the darkness. If you acknowledge you have more lessons to learn you can request to return.”

This was so much information Eileen was feeling overwhelmed. She thought this has to be a dream this couldn’t be true. Suddenly there was a memory that flashed in her mind. It was an image of her son holding her hand and crying at her bedside. Then another image of her brother he was entering her hospital room. Then all of her memories returned of what happened in her final months, weeks, and days. She began to realize how difficult she made things for her son, by not signing the Power of Attorney. She realized he was trying to support her and love her.

She began to see the relationships with her children and how betrayed they must have felt. She also understood that her brain in her earthbound form was damaged. There were lessons from her childhood that she was meant to use to protect her children, but she did do the best she thought she could. She realized she put her faith in people that ultimately betrayed her and those that loved her she pushed away. Even though she told everyone that they lived in their ego, she realized that she had actually been stuck there herself. She believed she knew more than others even though she was just as lost as everyone else.

She turned to her mom and dad understanding now what was happening and the truth about where she was. “Mom I learned so much in this past year, I was so wrong and hurt my children and my family.” Her mom said, “You are out of denial now, but what did you actually learn?” Eileen thought about what to say, “I learned that I demanded respect, but did not give any, I learned that when they say treat others the way you want to be treated it means that even if someone treats me poorly I don’t have right to treat others the same way I should still be kind and patient. I learned to seek true knowledge and not to believe just anyone. I learned that life is a unique gift and I need to appreciate what I have received. More importantly I learned I want to go back and try again.” As Eileen was understanding her lessons the darkness disappeared the colors became vibrant and the warmth in the house returned.

Her mom looked at Maureen and then told Eileen to wait in the room while they go to talk to find out if she would be approved to return to Earth. Soon things were black and then there was sudden light.

Five months after Eileen passed her niece had a baby girl.

July 19, 2024 02:54

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.