23 comments

Mystery

Its night time and the boss and his wife are in the house. No noise could be heard from where I’m situated. Its cold tonight and I don’t have any fur like the persistent yet curious cat, or any hair like the bosses.


I am just here.


A gift past from one generation to the next, an old model standing alone through all the storms the earth has to give.


Waiting…


Its day time now and the soft yet cold snow of the previous night are set on my eyes. The bosses are awake I can’t sense, but I can see the lights are already on in what they call a ‘home’ , but for me rather looks like an exterior safety hat.


The warm sun after the snow warms my exterior safety, but doesn’t warm my insides. The bosses seems to be late for something and I wonder if today would be like any other day whereas the bosses fight and scream at each other. Some days though they don’t and it feels like a soft blanket touching my exterior.


Before their first child were born they were happy and ‘in love’ or so they called it for me rather it seemed as though they were stuck to each other and needed a rope and some strong engine to pull them apart. But now it seems after two children they need some rope to tie them back together again. They are not as happy as they were the day they got me, but yet rather mean when it comes to me or so it seems for I am just here. Standing alone.


Waiting…


The bosses come out of the house and the youngest child motions to me.


“No Molly don’t touch Pickles his sick and filthy.”


The one boss says.


I want to scream and moan, but nothing happens. Like I said I’m only here standing alone.


Waiting…


Days past and days come yet the bosses don’t even acknowledge me. The persistent cat only sits on me and tells me how I have neglected the family. I feel as though I want to cry, but the water for my tears has run dry.


The oldest kid never comes outside and when he does he kicks me with the round thing that the humans call “a ball”. It hurts every time he kicks me and every time the bosses see but doesn’t help me. I want to ask them why? , but they don’t understand me they don’t even acknowledge me. So now I am just here standing alone.


Waiting…


I think back to the first week the bosses got me they use to treat me with such respect and honour. Now it seems those days are gone. Those were the days they use to take me with to the beach and wash me and keep me warm. The days when they would laugh, cry and then fill me with lots of sensational smells. Then day got their first child…


Things were great not as great as it used to be , they were a little too hard on me to hurry and to get to places they were a little more stressed and little less respectful with me. Some days they would forget to keep me warm other days they would make my insides so filthy I stank like that for weeks on weeks before eventual the one boss decide to get me cleaned once a week. That wasn’t enough for me, because I needed love from my bosses and not complete stranger.


When Sam got 11 the bosses got another baby. Her name was Molly. She was a sweet little thing for she would argue with Sam when he made me filthy and argue with the bosses when they were too hard on me, but as she got older she started to forget the rules she set and started to adapt to the same principles as the bosses and Sam.

When the day came that I had enough and stood firm on my place the bosses kicked me, Sam screamed and Molly just cried.


I had enough of their nonsense and wanted the family to be tied back together with rope, but that didn’t happen. The boss didn’t like this and took me to the doctor. They changed all my insides and made me work again or should I rather say forced me to work again.


The things I saw and heard at the doctor made my exterior and interior hurt and soon I felt as though I’m just an object.


When I saw the bosses later on, I were happy, but they didn’t seem to care to know that I’m okay and pushed me hard again. I didn’t want to move and rejected their push, then remember what one of the words I heard at the doctor.


“They don’t care about us they only care for where we can’t take them.”


I hiccupped and suddenly out of loss of concentration went into a tree.


Sam was inside of me at that moment and the whole family witnessed it.


For now they don’t climb in me they don’t touch me they don’t acknowledge me.


I’m just waiting…


It’s been six weeks now since Sam kicked me, Molly motioned to me and the bosses didn’t acknowledge me. I’m standing here just an object for them in the cold in the rain in the sun in the heat.


Waiting…


Molly hasn’t looked at me again without crying and I know the bosses should have told her, but here I am just standing here waiting.


The sirens blare.


I know the time is coming.


They hook me onto the truck and harm my exterior again.


Its hurt, but what hurts most is the memories that will be forgotten. For they don’t care I’m only an object.


The bosses sign the document for me to get ripped apart.


Sam is nowhere in sight nor the persistent cat.


Then it catches my eye. The keychain on my starting stick, it read pickles our lovey car.



July 06, 2020 18:36

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

23 comments

נιмму 🤎
01:00 Jul 10, 2020

good story! Very rare topic and I found myself feeling bad for the car :(

Reply

Anja Z
06:36 Jul 10, 2020

Aww thank you for your kind comment :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nirosha P
08:11 Jul 09, 2020

Nice story! The story made me captivated to continue reading! I loved the way you kept waiting until the end to reveal who you were. One thing to improve is your grammar, there are a few mistakes, l'd recommend proofreading it again. :) Other than that it's amazing! :) Also, could you check out my stories and give feedback too?

Reply

Anja Z
08:56 Jul 09, 2020

Thank you for your comment :D will check out asap

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sarah Freeman
14:38 Jul 22, 2020

This is a really nice story! Yes, there are a few grammatical errors, but plotwise this is really good! I liked how you continuously wrote ‘Waiting...’ so that readers were kept on their toes even more. The story makes you wonder about these mysterious bosses, and who the main character is, but then everything just comes together in a very satisfying way. Nice!

Reply

Anja Z
15:00 Jul 22, 2020

Thank you for your comment I really appreciate feedback and thank you for complementing my work I appreciate it also thank you for reading it ... I felt if one said waiting it would great the anticipation :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
James Daniel
20:19 Jul 14, 2020

I love this story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
07:22 Jul 13, 2020

Very good story

Reply

Show 0 replies
PAMELA ABWAO
10:05 Jul 10, 2020

At first I thought it was a dog but noted it's mobility. You have put Life in a non -living entity The personification is great

Reply

Anja Z
12:30 Jul 10, 2020

Thank you :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Deborah Angevin
10:58 Jul 09, 2020

Loved the story and the pacing! A great and well-written one, Anja! Would you mind checking my recent story out too? Thank you :)

Reply

Anja Z
12:21 Jul 09, 2020

Thank you for your kind comment:) will do so asap

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amanda W.
09:17 Jul 09, 2020

Wow! A great story;)

Reply

Anja Z
12:21 Jul 09, 2020

Thank you:)

Reply

Amanda W.
14:28 Jul 13, 2020

No problem;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Charles Stucker
07:51 Jul 09, 2020

This reminds me, thematically, of Isaac Asimov's short, "Someday." I liked the story and the pacing. Your spelling needs work, particularly those places where spell check can give the wrong answer. You shift between past and present tense. You want to check for that because it can make the reader do a double take. Other than the quibbles, good job.

Reply

Anja Z
08:08 Jul 09, 2020

Thank you :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Corey Melin
22:23 Jul 08, 2020

Fun read. Kept you reading to find out the result.

Reply

Anja Z
06:07 Jul 09, 2020

Thank you for your comment I'm glad you enjoyed it :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Batool Hussain
16:17 Jul 07, 2020

Good job! All I have to say is that there is a typo "When the day came..."Instead of " When they day came." Overall an interesting story;)

Reply

Anja Z
18:45 Jul 07, 2020

Thank you :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
14:25 Jul 21, 2020

I couldn't decide what you were... I thought a dog, a cat, a tortoise, a statue, a garden gnome, even a bucket... but I didn't think of a car!! Wonderful story. A few spelling and grammatical errors but nothing too major. I enjoyed this one!

Reply

Anja Z
16:56 Jul 21, 2020

Thank you ,, wanted to keep the suspense

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.