2 comments

Romance Funny Drama

Tasha turned around in her beautician’s chair. “Girl I don’t know what K.K was trying to prove. I knew that was a front laced wig. Yaaas honey. That was not her hair, but it was cute though. You know she claims her grandfather is Native American.” She adjusted her long, black curly extensions. Smiling with satisfaction, she carefully reached her red, stiletto nails into her wallet, and pulled out some money to give it her beautician. She mouthed the words thank you, then proceeded to leave out the front door. “See ya in two weeks. And next time, you better not be on that phone the whole time, miss thang.” Tasha turned around and mouthed the words love you. She blew her a kiss, then left.

Tasha put on her black  Christrian Dior shades as a black Tahoe pulled up to the corner. A tall, Caucasian man, got out of the SUV and opened the back-seat door. Her shoulders trembled because of the cold December air. She zipped up her black fur jacket. Her black, thigh-high suede Louboutin’s clamored against the sidewalk pavement. Her driver glanced at her curvy hourglass figure, then returned his gaze to a building behind her. Tasha grinned to herself. Before she stepped inside, she turned to the driver and said, “I saw you staring at me on the cool. You can’t handle all of this, even if you tried. Trust.” Laughing, Tasha returned to her phone conversation. “Trina what you say? Please, they know they a curious about chocolate. Hold on, somebodies calling me…. This my man. Bye girl.” Clicking over, she smiled, “Hey baby. I’m good and you? Huh? Why I got your driver picking me up in the hood? Babe you know how hard it is to find a good shop for ethnic hair in this city. And besides, we both from the hood boo.” She laughed at him wrapped one of her curled ringlets around her finger. “Babe don’t hate me cuz I’m beautiful. You know it’s all for you. Babe, you know I got your back. Thank you for my spa day. Yes, I’ll be ready at 8:00pm. What? Your sending another driver? Baby why? It’s lonely when we don’t step in together. I know how important tonight is. Babe……  I’m not being dramatic if I just wanna be with my man? You say you want the finest girl on your arm, but not beside you on the red carpet? Babe… I’m at my spot, we’ll discuss this later. I don’t wanna fight either. Love you…” The phone disconnected before she could finish her sentence. Looking out the window, a single tear trickled down her left cheek. The driver watched her in the rear-view mirror with empathy. When she met his gaze, he looked away. Tasha gave a small smile, “I can let my self out.” The driver nodded in her direction. Opening her door, she turned around and said, “My bad for being rude earlier. Thanks for driving me today.” He simply nodded, “It was my pleasure Ms. Stevenson. I took the liberty of having your items sent to your home.” Tasha smiled, “Thanks.” She let herself out of the SUV and headed toward the building of her condo. Removing her shades, she discretely patted the tears from her eyes. She managed to smile at the doorman, who was an older, tall African American man. “How’s my Nubian queen today?” Tasha laughed, “Oh Mr. Douglas, you always know what to say to a girl.” She winked at him and stepped inside the building. As she walked toward the concierge desk, Mr. Douglas called out, “If that young man’s not behaving himself, I know his father’s golfing buddy. As a matter of fact, they are all in town now for some NBA black tie party.” Stopping in her tracks, she turned around. Mr. Douglas had already returned to his post. Troy’s folks are in town? He will be thrilled. But shouldn’t he already know? And if so, why didn’t tell her. She pondered on her thoughts as she continued to walk toward the concierge desk. A tall, fair skinned, African American man with an athletic built stood behind desk. He wore a tailored designer black suit. Tasha braced herself for her rare encounter with the new concierge manager. When he looked up, his eyes began to widen. The butterflies in her stomach began to flutter. When he realized his eyes were betraying him, he clinched his jaw. As he Looked down, his eyebrows furrowed. He nearly dropped his tablet on the floor. Tasha stifled a laugh. She didn’t want to bruise his ego. He placed his tablet on his desk and continued to look down. “How can I be of service to you, Ms. Stevenson?” Tasha looked at him and thought, first, you can stop being so stuck up and fine. Suddenly, he looked up and put his tablet down and gave her his undivided attention. His eyes were unreadable and face nonchalant. Oh boy, his eyes are light brown, how can I have missed that important detail?! Almond shaped and dangerous! As if this beautiful man needed anything else to make him more handsome. She opened her mouth to speak, but no sound would come out. He slightly parted his lips and gazed at her. This sucker knows what he’s doing. I bet he practiced in the mirror.

“Awe naw, hell done froze over.” Tasha blinked, then looked for the familiar voice that broke the spell of the concierge. J.J the bellboy appeared beside the concierge desk. “Ms. Tasha Stevenson speechless?!” Tasha rolled her eyes. “As a matter of…”  J.J put a hand in the air and pulled out five large shopping bags from behind the counter. “Your fake Gucci, more like Ucci is here, fresh off the sidewalk.” The concierge rolled his eyes, “Jamie these items were supposed to be delivered to Ms. Stevenson’s room an hour ago.” J.J looked up at the concierges’ nametag, “Well Walter Evens, hmm, now you gotta be a brotha with a name like that. Dude, I’m all booked up, Mr. Johnson is short on staff, so,” pushing the bags to Walter he continued, “So my man, you’re going to have to deliver these bags to Ms. Stevenson’s room. Peace.” As he walked away, he mumbled, “Calling me by my government name. He needs to quit playing.” Walter held up a finger, “Ms. Stevenson, can you give me a moment?” Before she could react, he left her at the concierge desk and caught up with J.J. J.J shrugged his shoulders. When Walter began walking away, J.J yelled out, “Sound like pretty boy problems to me.”

Walter walked back to his desk while scratching his head. “I’m sorry about all of that Ms. Stevenson. You see I’m the new kid on the block, so some of my co-workers here feels the need to try me from time to time.” At that point he smiled sincerely for the first time. She nearly melted. She smiled, “I’ll accept your apology on one condition.” He stopped organizing his desk and placed his hands on top of it. He began gazing into her eyes again, while raising a single eyebrow, and parting those darn lushes lips. “Promise you’ll call me Tasha.” Walter grabbed her bags, “Tasha, shall we be on our way?” They walked over to the elevator when J.J stepped out of it and grabbed her bags from Walter. “I’ll take it from here cuz.” Walter looked bewildered as he reluctantly gave him the bags. Tasha shook her head at J.J and walked into the elevator. Walter stood in front of the elevator as it to close began as if he was still processing what just happened.

Tasha turned to J.J and hit him with her purse. “You so dramatic. You got me running late for my man’s gala tonight.”J.J held up his hands to defend himself, “Look Mista Evens was feeling himself just cuz he goes to Harvard. So, I had to bring him down a notch, take one for the team, for my fellow chocolate brothers out there. I mean, I went to community college. Homeboy ain’t got nothin on me.”

Tasha thought to herself, a Harvard man huh. To her dismay, J.J was staring at her, “Nope. I know that look and you can just forget it. You and Harvard are from two different worlds. His family host clambakes at Martha’s Vineyard, while yo family have crawfish broils.” Tasha put a hand on her hip, “Fool, you forget I got us both into P-Diddy’s white out party in the Hampton’s.” J.J shrugged, “Look, P-Diddy’s no Great Gatsby.” Tasha opened her door and J.J her bags inside her condo.

“Girl, you struck gold. You ain’t gotta wait for Troy to graduate and make his money.” Tasha smacked her lips, then reached into her wallet and pulled out some money, “Try to stay out of trouble.” He gratefully put the money in his pocket and saluted her as he made his way back into the elevator.

Tasha took a shower then slipped into her cheetah, laced undergarments. “Alexa play Guilty by Young Tyson.” She sat down at her glass vanity table. Reaching for her body butter, she put an ample amount of lotion in her hands and distributed the cream all over body. Picking up a bottle of perfume, she sprayed wrists, neck, panty line, and hair. She began dancing to the music as she touched up her hair and make-up. She put her dress on and said, “Tonight, It’s all about your man. You’re finally meeting his parents and Its going to be a new beginning for you both.”  Her cocktail dress was red and satin with a sweetheart neckline, and an -line pleated skirt. She looked around her bedroom for her shoes but did not find them. Panicked, she quickly called the concierge desk, “Hello, oh good, Walter I have an emergency….oh, your bringing my shoes.?? Thank you! I owe you big.”

She slipped on her pink furry slippers, then grabbed a small blackclutch before dashing to the elevator. When the elevator door opened, Walter was holding her bag. He starred at her for a moment, then cleared his throat, “Ms. Stevenson, here are your shoes.” Tasha grinned, “Thanks Walter.” She stepped inside of the elevator without looking at him. “Since we’re back to Ms. Stevenson and, judging the look on your face.” She turned to him and sang, “On my momma, on my hood, I look fly, I look good.” Walter laughed and shook his head, “What floor?” “The plaza level please.” Walter obliged and stayed on the other side of the elevator. The song Claire de Lune began to play. “This is my jam” Tasha exclaimed. Walter looked at her, “You listen to Debussy?”

“Yes. Trap music is not my only genre. In college, I listened to classical music to help me focus on my studies. I couldn’t afford to go to concerts, so I started going to free orchestra events in the park and I’d fall in love with the music all over again, every summer.” Walter laughed and shook his head, “I’m impressed.” She peeked at him out the corner of her eye, “Don’t sleep on this round the way girl. She just might surprise you.” She turned to him and noticed his expression soften toward her. Suddenly, the elevator stopped, and the lights went out.

 “Walter! What happened??! Oh no!!!! What’s going on?!!” Walter began fumbling around the elevator. “Umm Mista Evens those are not the buttons. “He fell backwards with a loud thud, “Tasha I’m sorry! I was looking for the emergency button. I’m sorry. I assure you I’m a gentleman.” Tasha backed up until she found the wall, then sat on the floor. “I believe you.” “Tasha… are you sitting on the floor? Here sit on my jacket. I’m just going to toss it to you.” He threw his jacket at her and it landed on her hair. “Mr. Evens did you just throw a jacket on a black woman’s hair?” He apologized profusely. “I’m just ruining your night. I should have just brought your bags up the first time instead of being cocky.” Tasha replied, “It’s cool.” She opened her purse and discovered she left her cell phone. “My phone is upstairs.” “My phone is in my desk. Suddenly the emergency lights came on. Walter got up and pushed the operator button on the elevator, but the line was busy. “This is bogus.” He sat next to Tasha and looked at her. “For what it’s worth, you look stunning tonight.” Tasha smiled, “Thank you. The way things are going tonight, you may be the only one to appreciate it.” Walter looked down, “That won’t be an entirely bad thing.” Tasha looked at him, but Walter refused to meet her gaze. “I was out of line.” Tasha replied, “Don’t beat yourself up.” Standing up, he dialed the operator button again, but the line was still busy. He remained standing when Tasha playfully asked, “Hey, you mind keeping me company down here?” He looked down at her for a moment, then sat next to her again.

They began reminiscing about their college days and discovered they had a lot in common. He was brought up as an only child in a two-parent home in the suburbs. Tasha revealed that she was raised as an only child by her mother and grandmother. “My mom was always working but, I had my grandmother. I would sneak out of her house to go to frat parties. Then I prayed that she wouldn’t find me with her cowboy belt.” They both laughed. “Why didn’t you stay on campus?” Tasha smiled, “That was the catch. She would pay my college expenses only if I stayed with her, to keep me from being fast. Then, she left me a nice inheritance after she passed away. So, I invested in a few businesses. One them is of them is a wig line that donates wigs all over the world to cancer patients. I also have a non-profit company that help empowers little girls in New York from the suburbs to the projects.” Walter listened, then he said, “That’s what’s up. I’m impressed. Well, I use to ball against your man in college. The NBA was tried to recruit me in my sophomore year of college, but I promised myself I would graduate first. After I tore my ACL my junior year, I went to physical rehab and met some intelligent, young, black athletes who were primarily focused on making it to the NBA. They wanted fast money, and a lot of them had their entire families relying on them to make it. So, I was inspired to teach and coach in the inner-city middle schools. I feel their more impressionable at that age. So, while I’m pursuing my graduate degree at Harvard, I run a basketball training camp in the summer in Brooklyn.” Tasha grinned, “Now I’m impressed.”

They continued getting to know one another. Tasha looked over at Walter. “For what it’s worth, I really enjoyed your company tonight.” She playfully slapped him on the knee, “Mr. Evens, you’re alright with me.” Walter turned to Tasha and looked into her eyes. He caressed the side of her cheek then gently guided the back of her neck towards him. Lost in the trance of his deadly brown eyes again, Tasha slowly gave into his kiss. He brushed his lips against hers, then gently parted her lips with his. Suddenly the sound of loud applause began to ring through the quiet the elevator. Tasha opened her eyes and noticed that the lights were on, and the elevator door was wide opened with a large crowd gathered around. Troy was standing at the front of the elevator door with a dozen red roses in his hand.

Walter turned around and faced the crowd as well. Troy threw the roses on the ground and walked off. Tasha put her slippers back on and ran outside after him. “Troy! I’m so sorry, I….there is no excuse. I messed up, please forgive me. Don’t trip”

Troy smacked his lips, “Trip over what? Now I see you finally feelin my idea of an open relationship. Just don’t do it in public and make me look like a chump. And don’t get with nobody I use to smash on the court, who can’t even afford your dry-cleaning bill.” Tasha frowned, then slapped him across the face. He grabbed his left cheek, “Girl If we end up in the tabloids….” Tasha eyes began to water, “I was never for sale. You don’t care about me, your selfish. We are done”

“He frowned, “Oh it’s like that?” He looked over her shoulder.

“Cool, Tasha, we both grown, right?” He laughed out loud then turned serious, ‘’I want back everything I paid for today, right now. Everything, and I’ll bounce.”

Tasha gasped, “REALLY Troy, its freezing out…..you know what if this is what it takes to get you out of my face.” She took off her dress and earrings and threw it at him. He laughed and cursed her under his breath. Walter ran over to her and covered her with his jacket. He tried to go after Troy, but Tasha held his arm. “Don’t go, just, stay with me.” Walter’s muscles began to tense. His face was crimson red. He turned to face her. He wrapped his long arms around her shivering body. “Tasha come with me, I’ll bring you back inside the building through a private entrance way.” She shook her head no and held on to him. “Please just hold me.” He looked into her troubled soul. He began wiping the tears from her eyes. She buried her head in his chest as he embraced her with all of his might.”

September 12, 2020 02:50

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Marda Deane
00:22 Sep 18, 2020

I've gotta say this was sexy and romantic. The best lines were 1. Look, P-Diddy’s no Great Gatsby, and 2. Umm Mista Evens those are not the buttons. haha. Good job establishing the character and the conflict quickly. If I may, I got some Great Expectations and Romeo and Juliet vibes. Fun read!

Reply

Alli MD
18:26 Sep 18, 2020

Thanks for the feedback! Those are some of my fav lines too😃 Happy writing....📝

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.