4 comments

General

Mary had just arrived in an unsettled and unkempt state, hair sticking out from the bun she had styledher hair into, her make-up was just weird she was an awkward sight for all beholder her heels weren't spared one had broken off and the shoes looked worn out; She had probably been in rush for her place of work cause she wore a three piece suit and was still straightening out her clothes. All eye's on her she took her seat luckily the last one left, she looked by her side and she got a wry smile she didn't return she was there for her own interests nothing else.

Not too long later a man stormed in heaving heavily headed from the above stairway and you could tell he was there for battle and his victim won't be spared, he went over and grabbed the shirt of a frail lady that had been chatting away with another better dressed lady in the reception and he and everyone was taken aback.

'who's the father?' he questioned and all eye's turned to face the couple

'who did you cheat on me with'

'I can explain but not here...' she whispered trying to coax him away

'we are not going anywhere, tell me who the father is'

'don't disgrace me'

'tel me who, you promised you'd a stein, we could have got you through therapy Sandi please' as the man said this emotionally charged she broke down and began to cry 'it's your father that's why I didn't want to tell you'.

'what?' he said cursing under rapid breath, running his hands through his hair he obviously had calmed down 'Sandi... I'm out of here'

She called back at him as he walked off sobbing she ran after him and immediately he left everyone broke into some murmur.

'she's a shame to all women, isn't she?' the woman beside her said to her obviously trying to make small talk with Mary who nodded just to be polite when really she didn't give a damn. That's when she overheard some gossip between some ladies seating very near to her and couldn't help listening in, a young girl was telling her friends her story.

'Oh my God it's not true' one of her friends had remarked 'tell me it's not true'

'it is I was there' the other replied.

'what am I supposed to do we love each other I mean we already planned our marriage when the results came out and he turned out to be my long lost brother, I had a baby for him when mom heard she fainted and now is in a coma, I came here to talk to him he still wants us to get married but isn't it like awkward marrying my brother.' she breaks down and cries as her friends console her till she regained her composure and continued 'I came to tell him no and return the ring but then we have a child... What do I do' she breaks down again.

Mary thinks about her life, it all related she had been raped by her father and took in for him, her mother heard and fell down dead and now he is serving his term in prison for sexual assault of a minor, rape and other counts. Now she was saddled with a sickle celled child that always gave her worry, she had bills to pay and had to do online college courses because she couldn't trust her child with anyone after that traumatic experience but she put her faith in her God and worked very hard to keep her and her child alive so she considered the young girl beside her even luckier.

'Miss Maplewood number 0541...' a woman who was probably rocking her 40's called out to all in the waiting room and the young girl at Mary's right side with relationship issues stood up dabbing at her tears with a wipe one of her friends had handed her 'he'll have you in his office now'

'thank you maam' she sent her friend's a sweet smile waving a little and they simultaneously waved back 'I'll soon be back'

'go girl' one of her friends cheered 'we trust your decision and we'll understand'

'that means so much to me babes' she replies suppressing her urge to run into the elevator the lady who announced her name had ushered her into. As soon as she had disappeared behind the elevator door her friend's began to giggle.

'what a fool' her blonde friend the same one who had wished her good scoffed to the brunette 'I'm so glad that your cousin could switch the results once they break off the wedding thinking that they're siblings I'll have a chance with him'

Mary couldn't help the gasp that escaped her throat, looking away so it seemed like she hadn't heard anything, it was true that one could never really put their trust in anyone, she felt pity for the young girl and decided to help though it wasn't in her principles to mind the business of others but this time she felt she had to help. The evil friend's cackled like two witches that had a successful broomstick ride or that's how Mary saw them now, if only they knew what was coming.

'life...' the woman beside Mary muttered again in an effort to make small talk again, she had probably overheard what the friend's concocted 'there is always drama in this life'

   Mary observed that the woman was handcuffed to the chair also noticing for the first time that a police man sat beside her looking so stern serious, he looked suspiciously at the woman constantly, the woman couldn't be older and she was so innocent looking and sorrowful, Mary then decided to hear the story of her seat mate.

'I have to agree' she replied her remark 'do you have a story?'

'you noticed the cuffs huh?' she chuckled I've been dying to talk to someone that's not a cell mate for years now...' she then slowed down and tried not to look so excited not to beckon on the prying eye's of her diligent badged guard' can we talk'

'yes I have some time before I'm called'

'good' she sighed 'I thought you wouldn't want to talk to a criminal'

'I can't be so sure yet besides you don't look it. What's the story'

'I've been in prison for the past 13 years after being accused of killing a wealthy man, I had been his mistress'

'may I ask why you killed him?'

'I didn't kill him, his wife caught us in the act and butchered him in anger leaving me to take the fall, I've tried to prove my innocence but who would listen to the story of a poor, shameless prostitute. I only started sleeping with him to take care of my family and now look at me'

'so sad' Mary remarks 'life is truly cruel'

'yes it is' she chips in 'but I've resigned to my fate'

'hopefully one day you would be proven innocent' Mary says to comfort her new friend though she might never meet her again 'and you would still have a life to get back to'

'hopefully...' she says trying to comfort herself but the look on her face told Mary she wasn't counting on it 'but I'm so glad to be outside the prison walls'

'no offense but I have to ask why?' curious Mary has been wondering about that.

'I was being transferred to another prison when the escort developed some mechanical issues just outside, so here I am' she smiled so cheerfully Mary found herself returning the smile, this was the first smile she had had in years.

'I hope the escort stays broken down for a long time more' Mary jokes and the latter responds with an even broadened smile. 'I see you'd like that'

'it'll be amazing honestly' she affirms 'the beauty of the outside world, other people, new friends like you...' she pauses for a while continuing ', we are friend's right?'

'yes we are, I'm Mary Cade' she introduces.

'Yancy Baynes' the latter replies 'maybe if I get out I'll come visit'

'ya I'll try to look up your case and follow up on the internet so I can hit you up when you do'

'that'll be nice' she admits looking far-off into the distance 'I'm so lucky to have someone who cares about me now I have hope'

'yes you do'

'enough about me do you have a story?'

'actually I do and I too have been wanting to tell someone about it' Mary replies 'but I don't think it's near as intense as what you are going through'

'this is not a bad experience contest' Yancy giggles 'just share your mind with me' 

Mary heaves a sigh and began to recount her life story of how she was abused from the age of four by various men even her biological father and other sad moments in her life while her new friend listened with rapt attention picking up every bit of information Mary spat out of her mouth. As soon as her story was told she felt a huge relief, she had let out all her years of bottled up feelings to a complete stranger but she liked Yancy for some reason.

'messed up right' Mary concludes 'I haven't really talked to anyone about all this'

'wow Mary that was so brave, I so admire you now'

'thanks for the compliment' she replied trying to ignore the glowing admiration in Yancy's eyes.

'you've really been through hell, and you can still pick your life back up it's a amazing I would've hanged myself' she tells Mary honestly 'I've had so many suicidal attempts in prison'

'well you should stay alive for me and I'll keep persevering for you, promise?' Mary pulls out a pinkie finger playfully and Yancy couldn't help bursting out laughing drawing attention briefly to them 'I know it seems childish but it's a pact'

'okay I pinkie swear' Yancy replies locking her pinkie in Mary's, they even did a double pinkie swear and both of them hadn't been this happy for ages 'I have to use the bathroom'

'ya sure'.

Yancy notifies the cop about nature's calling and they both leave, Mary becomes bored almost immediately then the woman calling out the names returned.

'Miss Cade the pediatrician is ready to receive you' she practically jumps up as she hears her name being called and follows the woman into the elevator and guess who she meets at the other end of the elevator- the young girl she planned to help earlier.

Mary braced herself beckoning on her politely as she leaves the elevator and the girl decides to hear her out.

'I know you don't know me at all and what I'm about to advice you on is non of my business but I am compelled deeply to tell you this' she starts and the girl nods. 'I sat beside you and your friends earlier in the hospitals waiting room and over heard your problem'

'oh...' the girl says looking embarrassed 'please ma I don't like to talk about it to stranger'

'I honestly don't want you to I just wanted to inform you that after you left I overheard your friends saying they employed the someone to switch the results and your fiance isn't really your brother' the girl looked shocked at this revelation, she didn't want to believe it at all 'I know it's a little too much to comprehend and if you don't believe me you should advice your fiance to retake the test without your friend's knowledge'

'I indeed will ma but why would they want to ruin my life?' she asks 'we all grew up together we are tight as sisters'

'well you should know that you as a person can never be to trusting to anyone but yourself, that is all I can advice'

Mary excuses herself from the young girls presence, the girl had gone back to see her doctor fiance for a new test and was so thankful to her; Mary was happy she could help but also looked forward to know how her son who had been rushed to the hospital was doing. Meanwhile back at the waiting room two floors down Yancy couldn't bid her new friend fairwell as she was led back into the escorts that had been repaired, but she left with new found hope and faith she wouldn't rot in prison thanks to Mary.

One can never know when someone amazing life changing would cross paths with you and under the awkward situation if might be.

July 05, 2020 01:35

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

00:11 Jul 16, 2020

Hi Soji, I liked the story but it seemed like two or three stories in one, you could have tried to make the story's flow more seamless. A good tool for checking grammar, that I use is called Grammarly, is it an app that you can download and there is a free plan as well as paid plans to choose from.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Corey Melin
00:11 Jul 06, 2020

Enjoyed the read. I would recommend checking out a free grammar check like I do to help your wonderful story. It has great potential but there are bumps along the route.

Reply

Soji Asaye
14:44 Jul 06, 2020

Thanks any recommendations

Reply

Corey Melin
21:13 Jul 06, 2020

GRAMMARLY.COM. Or just type in free grammar checks, and it will help you out. I did it with my last story and it found quite a few errors. We all make them, but when it happens a lot it can ruin your masterpiece.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.